Skin Builder 8 Merchant Resource for Genesis 8 Female (Commercial)

Comments

• MelanieL said:

Knittingmommy said:

That's so weird that others can see this and I can't. At least others can see it in the store, so it must not be an issue.

ETA: I do use that and I have it set so I can see all products.

I see you have the "Mature" filter set to off - maybe Skin Gen 8 is marked as "adult"? 

Ah! That was the issue. I usually have that set to show mature content. Not sure why I didn't today. Not sure why Skin Builder 8 is set to mature content and Skin Builder 3 is not. I wouldn't think either one should be set to mature content. However, if I set to show mature content then Skin Builder 8 does show up. I might have to see if I can turn that off because, honestly, I don't like having that particular filter. I'd rather see everything in the store. I can't even think of a single thing in the Daz store that needs to be set as mature given the rules in place for promos.

SB_screenshot3.jpg
    1533 x 787 - 246K
  • Ok so I've tried everything I can think of at this point and cannot for the life of me find a solution. I recently tried using skin builder 8 again and for whatever reason it is not building skins properly. it gets stuck on "skin builder is busy with a task" and never actually completes the skin build I left it going for literally two hours once with no change, It leaves textures unfilled, such as the translucency color and I'm sure there are other issues as well that I'm not seeing right off the bat. Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling skin builder, even a fresh install of daz itself and nothing has fixed this issue. The weird part is that on my laptop's install of daz skin builder works completely fine so I cannot figure out what the issue is. Is it some kind of weird hardware issue?? 

• I would like to use SB8 to make an asian skin mat what combinations of sliders within skin builder would I need to use to get it?

• My skin builder 8 is not working with my G8.1. It keeps saying "Genesis 8 has not been selected".

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited March 2023

Hi. It is not compatible with 8.1F. You build skins on G8F, then you can load them onto G8.1F since G8.1F can use the base G8F UV set as well.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • acharles6acharles6 Posts: 7
    edited March 2023

Zev0 said:

Hi. It is not compatible with 8.1F. You build skins on G8F, then you can load them onto G8.1F since G8.1F can use the base G8F UV set as well.

I tried doing that, but the texture map is different. G8F, has body and head, where as the G8.1F has just body.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited March 2023

All you do is swap the skin uv on g8.1F to Base Female and then load the skin.

Capture.JPG
    479 x 1227 - 77K
    Post edited by Zev0 on
  • acharles6 said:

Zev0 said:

I tried doing that, but the texture map is different. G8F, has body and head, where as the G8.1F has just body.

Apply the maps to Genesis 8 female, save a Materials preset (from File>Save As) and appy that to Gensis 8.1 Female - Daz Studio will do all the adjustments for you.

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 444

Richard Haseltine said:

acharles6 said:

Zev0 said:

Apply the maps to Genesis 8 female, save a Materials preset (from File>Save As) and appy that to Gensis 8.1 Female - Daz Studio will do all the adjustments for you.

And if you MUST have it in G8.1 UVs, apply the skin on G8.1, then right-click on the parameters tab and pick map transfer. In it, just create templates for the needed g81 zones and move the needed ones (head and body) into those templates. G81 UVs got.

• golem841golem841 Posts: 126

Alas, no support for G8.1 and very probably a new script to buy for G9.

I really love Zev0 works, but at these times of "shrinkflashion", especially in the Euro-zone. One must be picky on buying new toys.

Here at home, food prices went up at the very least to 20%-40% since a semester.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,440

I tried Richards technique to get the SB 8 textures to G8.1 and it worked perfect. So here is a render I just completed. On the closeup of the eye you can better see the skin as well. This is straight up G8.1 with no morphing or anything. 

81 with sb8 materials 2.jpg
    1800 x 1440 - 1M
    81 with sb8 materials 2 close.jpg
    1800 x 1440 - 2M
  • Really fantastic product, I appreciate your labor a ton. A quick question - in the overlays, for options which have multiple styles (blotches, pores, detail for example) is the workflow set your values for each three then click apply skin details or should you click apply details on each style after dialing it in? I am unsure if clicking apply details on each detail option is just applying all three settings each time. Thank you!

• Hello! 

I have some doubts about the product.

a) In the details seccion of the Skin builder 8 on the shop, It says or I undersand, It had provided some skins presets I can use or modify, but I don't find that options on the diferent panes of the SkinBuilder window. 

Hosting a unique script that blends in skin textures from different races, you can now get more variety in one powerful application

-Create a base skin which utilizes different skin races which can be blended to your liking.

b) Sometines shows a error message, it says that some files not founded, sometimes does not show these errors. I attach an screenshot.

c) The skin pane doesn't show a preview image of the skin, when I apply the skin it seem pale without color, I undersand that I am modifyng the atual skin of the character, but I don't undersand if I am doing something wrong or is about configuration o something else. The manual and tutorials shown an preview image of the skin in the same pane.

I appreciate your help or comments.

SkinBuilderError.jpg
    1857 x 1013 - 387K
    SkinBuilderNoPreview.jpg
    1691 x 975 - 326K
  • leo04leo04 Posts: 312

I would like to use a GF3 skin I created on a GF8.  Thing is I don't know what the settings were for the GF3. Is there some way to get those settings from the GF3 to use to create a GF8 skin?

Thanks

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,440

men men men men... yes, a skin creatorr of male would be nice. a combo pack - 3, 8, 9

• TimotheusTimotheus Posts: 238

Licensing question: If I created a material set using this product for a Genesis 8 Female character that I sold commercially, am I allowed to use a tool like RSSY's converter to get a Genesis 9 character with materials and also sell that commercially?

And I suppose a related question while I'm here: any news concerning a Genesis 9 version of Skin Builder?

Tim

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,549

The RSSY convertor doesn't really convert it. It puts a shell on the figure, to my knowledge.

• TimotheusTimotheus Posts: 238

GhostofMacbeth said:

The RSSY convertor doesn't really convert it. It puts a shell on the figure, to my knowledge.

I was under the impression that it uses a shell to achieve the conversion, but I'm honestly not certain. I'll find out.

edited July 2023

Timotheus said:

Licensing question: If I created a material set using this product for a Genesis 8 Female character that I sold commercially, am I allowed to use a tool like RSSY's converter to get a Genesis 9 character with materials and also sell that commercially?

Not allowed. Licence extends to Genesis 8/8.1 Female as mentioned in the agreement.

Post edited by Zev0 on

jtorres19749 said:

Hello! 

I have some doubts about the product.

a) In the details seccion of the Skin builder 8 on the shop, It says or I undersand, It had provided some skins presets I can use or modify, but I don't find that options on the diferent panes of the SkinBuilder window. 

Hosting a unique script that blends in skin textures from different races, you can now get more variety in one powerful application

-Create a base skin which utilizes different skin races which can be blended to your liking.

b) Sometines shows a error message, it says that some files not founded, sometimes does not show these errors. I attach an screenshot.

c) The skin pane doesn't show a preview image of the skin, when I apply the skin it seem pale without color, I undersand that I am modifyng the atual skin of the character, but I don't undersand if I am doing something wrong or is about configuration o something else. The manual and tutorials shown an preview image of the skin in the same pane.

I appreciate your help or comments.

Send me a clean log file after you attempt to create a skin. Thanks

• I'm just starting to get a handle on using Skin Builder 8. The "learning curve" is a challenge to say the least. It's biggest shortage is a decent manual.

Most of my "learning curve" has taken place on the Skin tab. There isn't any sort of description telling what the sliders do, or how one effects another. The top three sliders (Pale Texture, Light Texture, Medium Ttexture) are confusing... How about using descriptive names like brightness, saturation, etc.. The sliders are very tricky to use because changing one will likely limit the effect of the others. Any help (especially from one of the devlopers) would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure that I'm not the only one confused with these features.

I searched for and watched the one Skin Builder 8 video on YouTube and even that person hadn't yet figured the setting out. He did mention how you really need to have this Tab's content finished before proceding because changing things on other Tabs will reset your settings on this Tab.

Also, what happened to saving "recipes" ???  When I finally reach the last tab and have things as I want, there's no way of saving a copy (recipe) of one's settings so you can load them in later. I have to make 3x5 cards listing all of the settings that I've changed. If I want to use these settings on another character and then make modifications, I have to once again go in and alter all of the settings on the Skin Tab as well as on other Tabs.

The lack of "good" documentation and not being able to save settings (in my opinion) makes a "great" program just another program that adds to my list of frustrations...

Oh... One final thing... Can someone tell me why DAZ designed things such that you can not contact a vendor?... Are they just trying to keep their vendors from getting too many questions?... Instead of being able to contact the "people in the know", you have to ask the DAZ people for help... and then sit and wait... and wait... and wait... and wait for an answer. I remember about 12 or 13 years ago (yeah, I've used it that long) I could call and speak to a live tech person without much waiting. Do you get a feeling that things in this world just keep getting worse?.... LOL

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read this. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Dale R.

• Okay... Must be someone gave me wrong directions. They said that this was where the people who created Skin Builder 8 helped people who purchase their products.

Either tha or they only stop by once every great while.

Just in case one of you (Josh Darling or Zev0) happens by... I would sure appreciate a little help. I should have know better than to buy stuff on DAZ's website... Getting help for products is nearly impossible since DAZ won't provide direct links to the vendors.

Oh well... Maybe in a few weeks I'll be able to figure out exactly what Skin Builder 8 does for 3 of its options.... When you are on the Skin tab, you have three options... 

1)  Pale Textuire

2) Light Texture

3) Medioum Texture

I have done a rigourous investigations dealing with these variables... and each of these basically do the same thing. Eachj modifides both the hue, satureation and brightness of the skin. Since the Zevo individual hasn't provided ANY info on what each slider does or how to use them... I too am left wondering and struggling.

Am I being critical... You bet cha... Some years ago when I was developing software (word processors, databases, etc. and even simulators) I openly stated that, "No program is any better than its documentation." This  is the best example that I've found since I first started programming computer in 1967... BTW... We didn't even have monitors back then. You communicated with thte computer (at Dartmouth) using keyboards and papet (TTY)... If you wanted graphics, you used character from the keyboard.

Enough for now. My guess is that the devlopers are probably out doing other things. I will add... "KUDOS to Zevo and Josh Darling"... I mean it... Seriously... They created a great product. It has a lot of potentional... Too bad they don't listen to their customers that use it.

VERY BITTER,

Dale R.

edited July 2023

"oh well... Maybe in a few weeks I'll be able to figure out exactly what Skin Builder 8 does for 3 of its options.... When you are on the Skin tab, you have three options... 

1)  Pale Textuire

2) Light Texture

3) Medioum Texture

Hi. When you dial in any of these you will get a live preview of how it is blending into the skin to build your base texture. This is also explained in the products user guide.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • Hello Zevo... First of all, thank you for creating a program that one can use to create skins. So many characters are sold in groups without skins.

You have a slider for "Pale Texture" and another for "Light Texture" and a one for "Medium Texture"... but there is no mention as to what each of these do to the skin, other than each seems to lighten the skin. If each just lightens the skin, then why not just one "Lighten" slider. As seen in what I believe is the only YouTube video on Skin builder 8, even he is coinfused as to how to apply these three sliders. In doing so research, each of these sliders will alter the Hue, Saturation, and Brightness. If I don't like how my skin is looking, I don't know which slider I should use to make the desired chages. The guy in the video even mentions how that if you slide the Medium Texture slider quite a ways to the right, the other two sliders will no longer have any affect.

You mention above that there's a live preview, but I find that the actual character's skin turns out different from that of the preview.

I really wish that making changes were more like Hue, Saturation, Brightness, and even have a Contrast setting.

By the way, I only use Iray textures.

So, let me try this...

How does one know which slider to pick? It might seem that "Pale skin" refers to saturation, and "Light skin" refers to brightness, etc.. But  this isn't what they do either.

Please tell me what your Pale Texture slider does to the skin. What does it do different from the other two sliders? 

Please tell me what the Light Texture slider does to the skin. What does it do different from the other two sliders.?

Please tell me what the Medium Texture slider does to the skin. What does it do different from the other two sliders?

In simple terms, if someone asks you, "What does each slider do to the skin?"... what would you tell them

All of the rest of your program is really great ! !

Almost forgot... I tried to use the "Nipple Adjustmet" but found that I couldn't reall change the color much. I couldn't make them lighter or with a reddish tint.

And finally, are you working on Skin Builders for men? If so, I'll be at the head of the line to buy it...   :-)

Please understand that I'm not here to run your program down. I just want to be able to use it without so much confusion.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

One final thing... I'm almost 80 years old and sometimes I struggle to understand things. Please have patience with me. Again, your program has been really needed and I hope that you are going to be continually adding to it... KUDOS!

Dale R.

• Referencing the above post dealing with the three sliders in the "Skin" tab... These are labeled "Pale Texture", "Light Texture" and "Medium Texture".  There is a forth texture that is the "Dark Texture" but it isn't adjustable and so it's not show.

The way these images work is to consider each image as photos that are stacked one on top of the other, with the Dark on the bottom and the Pale on the top. The values of each slider determine the opacity of that photo (layer). 

For those of you who have worked with photo editors that use layers, such as Photoshop, then you'll have no problem understanding all of this.

In doing more searching into how Skin Builder works, I discovered that these 4 textures do actually exist. If you have Skin Builder installed, navigate to... My DAZ 3D Library —> Runtime —> Textures —> SkinBuilderG8FMR —> Skin.   (Note that there's also a SkinBuilderG3FMR folder used by Skin Builder 3).

In this Skin folder you will find 3 "example" torso images. They are low resolution images of the actual images that are there as well. 

The actual images are... [ torso dark.jpg ]   [torso mid.jpg  ]   [ torso light.jpg ]  and  [torso white.jpg ]

Thus we have... in that same order, Dark... Medium... Light... and Pale.

If, in Photoshop, we load these 4 images and then copy the Medium, Light and Pale images onto the Dark image as layers, you will have them stacked with the Dark one on the  bottom and the Pale one on the top. Each layer has an "opacity" that you can assigned to it that determines how much of the layer below it shows through.

Since the Dark Texture is on the bottom, there's no need for an opacity since there's nothing below it... Thus, no slider for it.

Note that the Pale slider is on top with Light then Medium under it, just as we did with our images in Photoshop.

Now then, just as you do in Skin Builder with the three sliders, change the opacity of each of the layers to the same numbers that assigned to each slider. Keep them in correct order. When you've done this, your image in Photoshop should be very close to the image in the Skin Builder window. You can do this vice versa as well.

REMEMBER:  The opacity of a layer determines to how it reveals or hides the layer below it. An opacity of 100 is completely opaque while an opacity of 0 make the layer completely transparent, revealing all of the layer below it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Dale R.

• Continued saga from the posts up above...

Okay... So I got things going real well... Created the textures for 6 characters and then went back to verify how things looked.

BTW... If you don't own one, you should. get yourself a screen calibrator. I highly recommend the "datacolor... SpyderX Pro".  I had one a long while back but lost it in in a fire when our home burnt to the ground. I have 3 monitors hooked to my computer (and wish there were 6) and I noticed that each screen showed the same character looking a bit different... so much so that some of the characters that I purchased looked terrible. My new Spyder arrived a few days later. Ta! Da!. I loaded in the characters that I had created textures for and had to redo all of them... Time lost! What I noticed next was in a matter of days, the screens started to change a small bit. What I do now is to leave the Spyder attached all the time. Before I start a "session" where I'm going to use Skin Builder 3 or 4, I do a "Re-calibrate" that only takes a couple of minutes on my main middle monitor where I work with Skin Builder. I can calibrate the other 2 monitors when needed.

Now for the reason that I'm back on here. As I said in my very first post, "No software is any better than its manual". The "sheet" that comes with Skin Builder is lacking in so many ways. If anyone wants to create a "good" YouTube video on how to use Skin Builder, let me know and I'll do all I can to support you.

And so, after re-doing the 6 character skins, I went back to make sure that everything worked. Damn ! ! !

The Skin Builder 8 "sheet" doesn't even cover how to save your character with its new skin. It takes you to where you have your character all textured... then shows you how to set up the folders for the Presets and Textures... and nothing more.

So, when I got to that point, and had created all of the presets, I exited Skin Builder 8 and immediately did a "File... Save as... Scene Subset"... I created one inside the "Characters" folder and and another in the "Characters —> individual character" folder.

( I also have to update a spreadsheet where I keep a record of every DAZ item that shows the complete paths of every part of that item. So far there are 5070 rows with up to 9 columns in width. I started using DAZ back in 2010 and so I have a lot of characters and other items. I also deleted all of my Victoria 4, Kids 4 Michael 4, Genesis 2 Male, and Genesis 2 Female items.)

Yeah, I know... I keep getting side tracked.

Anyhow, when I went to load one of my new characters, it immediately showed me a long list of items that it couldn't find. In researching this, I found that when you finish creating your character and exit Skin Builder, your character only has all of the temporary locations that the program used, rather than the ones you set up in the final "save" tab. The characters will load fine until you clean out the temporary folder.

What the "sheet" failed to tell you us is that, after finishing creating all of your textures and closing Skin Builder, you have to go back and load the original character and then apply all of the Presets... and then save the character as a Scene Subset. Yep... more time lost.

Hope this saves you some heartburn....LOL

BTW... Skin Builder allows you to create great looking skins, however, I sure wish it had one more setting... one for Contrast. Looks like I'm going to have to load the final textures of some of my "creations" into Photoshop just to make adjustments to the contrast.

Hava a happy!

Dale R.

• Hello,

Can you perhaps  tell me... How can you use the image inside the SB8 window when it definitely doesn't properly dislay what the final character will look like when you render it?

Also, your color strip with the color values hardly describes what color you are going to end up with. Why is it that I can select a color combo in your window's strip that looks intensly yellow, and then end up with a skin that's overly red with little yellow.

Why did you include a color strip in the "tan lines" options since it doesn't seem to use anything except the brightness of the tan lines?

I tried numerous colors in your nipple adjustment and found it doesn't do much to the actual render. Why not?

I purchased this product over 6 months and have used it daily since then. I keep waiting for a Skin Builder 8 for Genesis 8 Male. When will it be released?

Thanks,

Dale R.

• Hey! Zevo ! ! !

Do the DAZ Studio people notify you when someone leaves a post here asking for help, or do you just ignore them. I keep asking for assistance, and yet so far no one has actually answered any of my questions. I've been struggling daily for 2 months trying to get the thing to work right.

There are numerous issues that I'd like to discuss, however, I can't open a discussion unless you respond.

Thanks.

• Reply notifications have been broken for soemt ime, and still are. As for your questions, many of them are quite hard to follow so I am not entirely sure what you are asking in many cases.

• Thank you so very much for a quick reply... :-)

I'm assuming that you're not part of the Skin Builder (Zev0) team...???

Thus, I'm not sure you can even answer my quesstions. I say that because the guy who did the review of SB8 on YouTube was barely able tell much about it.

Give me a bit of time and I'll go back over my questions and see if I can put them in a better light.

As mentioned, I have been using that program for hours a day for over 2 months... and being somewhat educated in many things, (colors especially - Pro photographer w/ expertise in Photoshop)... I am at a point where I could actually write a manual for the thing :-)  Let me know if we can attack that in some way. When I spoke (wrote) with Zev0 he (she) was of very little help.

Again, thanks,

Dale R.