Dynamic Gi for M4 and V4 - crashes daz trying to open saved scenes

babel25babel25 Posts: 54
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have just started using the Dynamic Gi for M4 and V4 and all was working ok. But I'm unable to open any saved scenes that use it! Attempting to do so crash-closes Daz. :-(

DAZ 4.5.1.6 Mac pro 8core 64bit : osx 10.6.7

Comments

• babel25babel25 Posts: 54
    edited April 2013

Ok, looking a bit further, specifically it is the .ccd files that record the drape simulation that are causing the crash. If i delete one the relevant scene will open with the GI in place though of course the sim animation is gone.

ps im using it with genesis.

Post edited by babel25 on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

It's an age old problem which even I get. The Draping system in Daz Studio is a bit buggy at times and, in my opinion, needs a massive update to fix it. Unfortunately it's not strictly a Daz plugin, It's designed by Optifex who also make all of the compatible dynamic clothing as well. I've had many crashes with the system to the point where I don't even use draping too often (at least, not via Daz Studio; I export to Poser for that).

edited December 1969

Hmm. In my case its worse than 'many crashes'. I'm at always crashes, can't open, period.

You use Optifex items in Poser? I guess you can make anything dynamic in Poser though... It's a pity as the Gi seemed to be working so well, better than my cloth experiments in Poser.

Anyway, thanks.

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited December 1969

Babel could you tell me which version of DAZ Studio are you using and if you are using the advenced Dynamic Clothes Plugin? If you have the latest versions please report this to: https://bugs.daz3d.com/ I will make sure they take a look at it. There is a beta team that is supposed to make sure this doesn't happens.

edited December 1969

DAZ 4.5.1.6 Pro 64bit

I appear to have 'Dynamic Cloth Plugin-Basic'. Am I supposed to have something else?

edited April 2013

No, you don't need the advanced version. This crash shouldn't happen. I contacted the person in charge of DAZ Studio development and tested myself and also had a crash after saving a dynamic clothes animation and reopening the file. I was able to save and reopen a static simulation and didn't have a crash. But again the dynamic clothes animation crash didn't used to happen in previous versions of DAZ Studio if this is a bug they need to correct this in an update. I have forwarded this thread and I'm hopeful that this crash will be fixed in the next update.

I cannot be 100% sure its DAZ Studio because my second crash had a message about Octanerender which is another plugin, do you have Octanerender installed too?

Is your DAZ Studio version 4.5.1.6 or 4.5.1.56?

Post edited by SimonWM on
    edited December 1969

4.5.1.6. No Octarender.

Here is the relevant log on my setup:
    WARNING: /src/sdksource/general/dzcontentmgr.cpp(2155): Empty relativePath passed to DzContentMgr::getAbsolutePath()
    /Users/XXX/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 5/FBMVictoria5.dsf (6921,7): Unexpected ']' in file.
    WARNING: Qt has caught an exception thrown from an event handler. Throwing
    exceptions from an event handler is not supported in Qt. You must
    reimplement QApplication::notify() and catch all exceptions there.

Unhandled exception: Unknown Exception. DAZ Studio must now shut down.

edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    if this is a bug they need to correct this in an update. I have forwarded this thread and I'm hopeful that this crash will be fixed in the next update.

FYI, the problem persists in the 4.6 update :down:

edited December 1969

I made some tests in DAZ Studio 4.6.0.18 and was able to save animated drapes with Victoria 4 and open the files fine with no crashes. Then I tested Genesis and I found out three things:

1-Like you I got a crash when trying to reopen a Genesis saved animated drape scene.

2-Cloth actions affect "All Cloth on Figure" is not working. In order to simulate more than one item of dynamic clothes on a figure at the same time I had to select "All cloth on scene" which can be troublesome when you have multiple figures with dynamic clothes. This is a new bug I wasn't aware of.

3-File/New doesn't clears the scene as it should.

See youtube video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joZ162TGMXs

I have submitted a bug to Mantis. Please add your comments there too. We need to monitor this issue and let DAZ know this bug is still not squashed.

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50404

Thanks.

edited May 2013

Like you I'm able to save and reopen single frame drapes on V4 or Genesis. Unlike you I'm unable to reopen a saved animated drape scene with either figure.

I went to the bug page and it now claims the issue is resolved: "Draping now works after I redownloaded Dynamic Clothing control after installing Daz Studion 4.6"

I see the advanced plugin for $50 at http://www.daz3d.com/dynamic-clothing-control. Is there a fix for the basic version?

I've put all this on the bug site, though since the issue is marked as 'resolved' it may not be seen.

Post edited by babel25 on
    edited December 1969

babel, you need to leave your feedback with the bug report. I have the Octanerender plugin and the crash is pointing to the plugin. Dr Jellybean has asked for the file that is producing the crash. I can upload my file but you should contribute to the bug since you don't have Octanerender plugin the bug might be easier to isolate with your feedback and files.

edited December 1969

Well, I just discovered that if I double click on the Genesis drape animation .duf file in windows explorer with DAZ Studio closed and it opens DAZ Studio and loads the file it opens without a crash. Maybe you ought to try that.

edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    Well, I just discovered that if I double click on the Genesis drape animation .duf file in windows explorer with DAZ Studio closed and it opens DAZ Studio and loads the file it opens without a crash. Maybe you ought to try that.

Sadly, no. It just opens an empty scene in DAZ.

I've posted in the bug site.

• CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
    edited December 1969

For what it's worth, I'm having similar problems with dynamic cloth and DS4.6. Mac 10.8.3, 16 Gb RAM, basic dynamic cloth plugin. Looks like some dynamic cloth items work ok and others cause the crash...

edited December 1969

CMacks said:
    For what it's worth, I'm having similar problems with dynamic cloth and DS4.6. Mac 10.8.3, 16 Gb RAM, basic dynamic cloth plugin. Looks like some dynamic cloth items work ok and others cause the crash...

Please add your notes to the bug tracker https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50404
    and if requested from the tester your scenes as well, this will help in fixing this bug. Thanks.

edited December 1969

Ok, in my case the Octane plugin update v1.0.113.2305 seem to have solved this problem but there are two users here without the Octane plugin having the same issue so don't know what to think about this.

• CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
    edited December 1969

babel25 said:
    Ok, looking a bit further, specifically it is the .ccd files that record the drape simulation that are causing the crash. If i delete one the relevant scene will open with the GI in place though of course the sim animation is gone.

ps im using it with genesis.

That didn't work for me (V4, not genesis).

edited December 1969

Please add your feedback to the bug report here:

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50404

This issue is stuck at "Feedback" and I cannot help since the latest Octane upgrade seems to have solved the crash for me. The developers need feedback from users that don't have the Octane plugin and are having the issue.

• rickfoxxx7@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

Did anyone find a solution to this crash? Is there any more information about it?