Morphs and extrusion

Am I correct I cannot use extrusion and many others with morphs? As soon as I click the morph edit button, many tools are greyed out.

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

A morph basically moves the vertices of a model, but how they are all connected up into polygons to form the mesh stays the same. So you can think of a morph as distorting the existing mesh rather than changing it. As extrusion changes the mesh then it is not available as a morph.

One way to get around this would be to create the extrusion that you need and then create a morph to "flatten" it, then start with the morph set at 100% and end at 0%.

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274

Got it. I never realized I am adding polygons. Going reverse is a good idea. Thanks. Now I can move on.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I was working on some morphs which could actually add clothing to a figure's base. To solve this, I selected some polygons that will end up being mostly hidden, and alter their size enough to give me the flexibility to sort of mock-extrude, if that helps. My situation was easier since the clothing morph was coming out and then folding in, so those polygons under the fold could be stretched or compresed however I wanted.

Can't use that in my situation. But never thought of making clothing from the skin. Probably would also work for making shoes or boots from feet.

Pjotter said:

Can't use that in my situation. But never thought of making clothing from the skin. Probably would also work for making shoes or boots from feet.

Yes, kind of like using "Second Skin" idea with morphs to loosen the cloth parts from being so tight to the body.

edited October 2017

Can't you change the body parts that are hidden (under pants, shirts) to clothes. So the original leg skin becomes the pants. In other words, the skin is changed to clothing and weight paint that. Maybe you do not even have to weight paint. And morphs only for fine tuning.

Start with selecting one leg till the ankle and scale it a bit as a start.

Post edited by Pjotter on

I think so. I even used creasing to help. Like I said, though, it was just a test I started working on. Never finished, but it was looking kinda cool.