• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Just kidding! It's a fine model Roygee!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Leave it to the PC to get it close, but not quite right! :P

Thems fightin' words!

[Bruce Buffer Voice]
    And now; for the Heavyweight Carrara Platform Of Choice! In this corner, the Wisconsin Wildebeast...evilproducer! And in this corner, the Texan Tornado...Garstoooooor!!!!
    [/Bruce Buffer Voice]

Wait a second...I just implied that I was Texan...I suddenly feel like I need to compensate by commenting on how big everything is here...

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Thems fightin' words!

[Bruce Buffer Voice]
    And now; for the Heavyweight Carrara Platform Of Choice! In this corner, the Wisconsin Wildebeast...evilproducer! And in this corner, the Texan Tornado...Garstoooooor!!!!
    [/Bruce Buffer Voice]

Wait a second...I just implied that I was Texan...I suddenly feel like I need to compensate by commenting on how big everything is here...

It's a good thing Canadians only fight aboot hockey, eh? Bazinga! :P You wouldn't hit a smiley with glasses would ya'? Huh? Would ya'?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Thems fightin' words!

[Bruce Buffer Voice]
    [/Bruce Buffer Voice]

Wait a second...I just implied that I was Texan...I suddenly feel like I need to compensate by commenting on how big everything is here...Except, of course, for the bodies of fresh water - or so I'm told :P

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Thems fightin' words!

[Bruce Buffer Voice]
    [/Bruce Buffer Voice]

Except, of course, for the bodies of fresh water - or so I'm told :P

{rimshot}

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Thems fightin' words!

[Bruce Buffer Voice]
    [/Bruce Buffer Voice]

It's a good thing Canadians only fight aboot hockey, eh? Bazinga! :P You wouldn't hit a smiley with glasses would ya'? Huh? Would ya'?LOL

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I notice the Mac version has a chip off - indicative of something broken? Wonder where the chip is - on a shoulder somewhere?

Thin ice man:)

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I miss that order history "you already bought that" of the good ol' days when bandaids worked sigh, already had a Dodo! [yes I put in a support ticket, hopefully they'll understand people like me]

Anyhow, the toon chameleon is on sale atm 65% off. Think that's a glitch so if want one, buy fast. :-)

edited December 1969

Whoa... Done. How could I pass up a deal like that, eh? Now I have the Carrarazard!

toonimal-chameleon-large.jpg
    350 x 455 - 46K
    edited December 1969

While I was at it... I got Rosie a new vehicle to fly around on: Flydragon, by Orestes Graphics! I've been wanting this since it first hit the store. Now It's all Rosie's to fly around on as she pleases. Almost can't wait to show off some renders with her flying this awesome new creature... but, alas... duty calls, and I must.

flydragon-large.jpg
    350 x 455 - 38K
    edited December 1969

Progress report ... Lights! I found zee light switch. [at least for some of them, sunshine didn't do a thing but I do recall reading somewhere that the size had to be huge to get a soft shadow from it].

And with an item selected, I clicked on zee Paint Brush and received a rather intimidating notice ... something about editing masters or creating new ones which would then be applied to all future instances?!!!

Think I'll leave shaders alone 'til I've read some of those nice tutorials.

My new little mascot there, well, it doesn't look like the one on the box [yet].
    Anyway, here's a quick render ... and it has "shadows". :-)

Cheers,
    C.

goingtobealittlelatedear.png
    1200 x 900 - 555K
    edited December 1969

Progress report ... Lights! I found zee light switch. [at least for some of them, sunshine didn't do a thing but I do recall reading somewhere that the size had to be huge to get a soft shadow from it].

And with an item selected, I clicked on zee Paint Brush and received a rather intimidating notice ... something about editing masters or creating new ones which would then be applied to all future instances?!!!

Think I'll leave shaders alone 'til I've read some of those nice tutorials.

My new little mascot there, well, it doesn't look like the one on the box [yet].
    Anyway, here's a quick render ... and it has "shadows". :-)

Cheers,
    C.

Think of the sunlight and distant light as nearly the same thing. The icon looks like a 3D arrow pointing in the direction the light is coming from. If your garage has a ceiling, the light can't get through, which is why it didn't appear to be working. If you had pulled your camera back out of the garage, then you have seen the effect of the sunlight on the exterior of the set.

Soft shadows don't happen on any light unless you enable them in the light's effects tab. The radius of the light is at a default of .08ft in a medium scaled scene. For a sunlight, you'd probably want to manually set it in the hundreds of feet. I usually start with a 100' and do a test render to see if I need to go up or down with it. The reason they are off by default is that depending on the scene, it can take much longer to render. Shadow buffers are software short cut. They mimic soft shadows, but they have their limitations, such as not respecting alphas or transparencies.

The shaders aren't 3D paint. 3D paint uses simple shaders. Check out this very recent thread that I started because I needed some answers. It will help demystify the process.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20149/

To modify a complex shader you would use the Texture room. The paint brush icon on the top right of your screen. You can also double click on a shader to edit it. Unless you've changed your preferences, if the shader is used by more than one instance, Carrara will ask if you wish to edit the Master, which will change the shader on everything that uses it, or if you want to create a new master, which when chosen, will only change it for the item you're editing it on. The shading system is very powerful and can have a learning curve, but once you see how some things work, you'll find all sorts of creative opportunities open up.

This example uses no image maps (pictures or illustrations that are mapped to the surface of the object) to generate the textures on the dam. The water does use a picture I painted in Photoshop for the foam streaks in the falls. The foam at the bottom of the dam is also built with without image maps. The same for the cattails and rushes.

Fantasy_village2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Forgot to mention that the lights can be additive in their brightness, If you have three bulb lights set to 100 percent brightness, it's going to look like a light set at 300 percent. It's not so bad with spot lights because they can be pointed in different directions.

Try this: Figure out where you want your light sources and how many. Set one up at a time by adjusting it's brightness, color, range and falloff (which determines how softly and how how quickly the light diminishes as the outer range of the light is reached). Most of the lights default to 400' in the medium scene. If your garage is only 30' then 400' is a bit of overkill. When you have the basic lights set up, then turn them all visible to see how they interact with each other. Adjust as needed.

When doing multiple test renders, I usually try and keep the render settings low enough for fast renders, but good enough to get an idea of my adjustments. On the rare occasions I use GI, I leave that off until I absolutely need to see how it looks before I commit to a final render.

edited December 1969

I can turn all the lights visible?! That would help immensely, shall look for said device. ty

About the sunlight ... started with car in empty scene however was trying to get some light into the car too so that would amount to basically the same problem as putting it in the garage.

Thank you for all this information. I shall certainly read through it and over the next week hope for some improvements for the next render.

edited December 1969

I can turn all the lights visible?! That would help immensely, shall look for said device. ty

About the sunlight ... started with car in empty scene however was trying to get some light into the car too so that would amount to basically the same problem as putting it in the garage.

Thank you for all this information. I shall certainly read through it and over the next week hope for some improvements for the next render.

Oh... you'll see. We'll get you up and going in no time. Carrara shall become your new home! ;-)
    edited December 1969

A good piece of advice (that I usually forget myself) is to switch off all the lights and then work with each on individually until it is producing exactly the effect that you want it to.

Unlike the real world, you can make a light shine on just one object and ignore the other objects as well as switching shadows on or off. It takes some tweaking but it can be worth the effort.

edited December 1969

So here's a couple screen shots that may help with setting lights. It's a simple distant light.

The first image shows the light's general control panel with the visibility checkbox at the top with the other ones. To see it, select the light you want to work with in the scene's instances list below the general tab.

The second screen shot shows the Effects tab for the light with the Soft Shadows parameters. You can click the pulldown menu to reveal the shadow catcher option.

The third image shows the top menu bar in the assembly room. Note the little up arrow icon with a circle around it. That's the interactive renderer. It only affects the Assembly room view and perhaps the modeling room views. Not the final renders! Those parameters are set in the render room.

The reason I'm pointing this out, is that if you click the arrow icon it opens the interactive renderer panel where you can select to use the default light map, or use scene lights in the assembly room. Choosing to use the scene lights in the interactive renderer is very useful for setting your lights. It doesn't seem to work with shape lights or Anything Glows lights, but bulb, spot and distant lights all work.

Picture_5.png
    698 x 569 - 48K
    Picture_4.png
    448 x 242 - 46K
    Picture_3.png
    190 x 76 - 8K
    Picture_2.png
    254 x 720 - 48K
    Picture_1.png
    254 x 480 - 31K
  • Songbird ReMixSongbird ReMix Posts: 289
    edited April 2013

I am very lucky to be living in such a magical part of the world. Billionaires come here to leave their woes behind. This made a niche for me - as I know how to build the tiny water features that attracts the adorably cute, friendly little song birds. One of these years, I'm going to collect Emperor Ken's entire assortment of songbird remix Packs. I believe that he has captures the magic of these super awesome little creatures in a 3d model. I'm not sure if he still does this, but the packs that I do have of his come with a nice little bird watcher's guide of the birds represented in the pack - which is super cool. One of the things I've been wanting to do as a side hobby, is to make some really serene environments with the soothing sounds of trickling water that songbirds love so much, and animate an autobahn of birds video - showing off the many songbirds of his I do have. Wow. Talk about stay from the subject eh? What were we talking about again... Seismic activity?

Our garden attracts over a 110 different species of bird, using both native plants and water features are the key. I have a YouTube video I put together of some of the birds found in our yard.

While all the Songbird Remix Field Guides are available in my downloads, I favor using my "Bird Wiki" for information-- every bird I've done is in that wiki with all the field guide information.

Bad news too... ;)
    I'll be adding to that "Emperor Ken's entire assortment of songbird remix Packs" in the next week as I gear up for my annual Audubon's Birthday sale in which I donate, at least 25% of my earnings, to Audubon's bird protection programs.

Post edited by Songbird ReMix on
    edited December 1969

I'll be adding to that "Emperor Ken's entire assortment of songbird remix Packs" in the next week as I gear up for my annual Audubon's Birthday sale in which I donate, at least 25% of my earnings, to Audubon's bird protection programs.

Everything in one giant blast? Sweet, because I've been meaning to buy these too!

edited December 1969

I am very lucky to be living in such a magical part of the world. Billionaires come here to leave their woes behind. This made a niche for me - as I know how to build the tiny water features that attracts the adorably cute, friendly little song birds. One of these years, I'm going to collect Emperor Ken's entire assortment of songbird remix Packs. I believe that he has captures the magic of these super awesome little creatures in a 3d model. I'm not sure if he still does this, but the packs that I do have of his come with a nice little bird watcher's guide of the birds represented in the pack - which is super cool. One of the things I've been wanting to do as a side hobby, is to make some really serene environments with the soothing sounds of trickling water that songbirds love so much, and animate an autobahn of birds video - showing off the many songbirds of his I do have. Wow. Talk about stay from the subject eh? What were we talking about again... Seismic activity?

Our garden attracts over a 110 different species of bird, using both native plants and water features are the key. I have a YouTube video I put together of some of the birds found in our yard.

While all the Songbird Remix Field Guides are available in my downloads, I favor using my "Bird Wiki" for information-- every bird I've done is in that wiki with all the field guide information.

Bad news too... ;)
    I'll be adding to that "Emperor Ken's entire assortment of songbird remix Packs" in the next week as I gear up for my annual Audubon's Birthday sale in which I donate, at least 25% of my earnings, to Audubon's bird protection programs.Bad news?
    I was teaching Garstor how to spell that word. It means: To give another poop. So you just sound it out fices - ish! LOL

No... I Love when you do that! That tore me up when I first read that in the PA area! Bravo to you!

Not only that... I hope that mother nature just keeps creating new species of bird, so you never run out of new packs to make. They totally rock! That is so bizarre... I believe that my Dad is at 110! I'll have to ask him. He has a whole notebook with sketches and notes...
    I was visiting, hanging out in the Kitchen. Windy as all get-out that day. Really blowing. Suddenly, the kitchen window crab apple was visited by a Marlin ducking out of the wind before carrying on his journey north. A rare and wondrous site! We have Bald Eagles all over now. When they were nearing extinction, the stone quarry where I climbed cliff faces had a pair of them. At first I thought that they were Red-Tailed Hawks, as those get nearly as much wingspan, but the hawks are not as massive of a bird. Now they are quite populated - as with our Sand-hill Crane, Great Blue Heron, and Cedar Wax-Wing. Still... those plentiful little goldfinches, with there daredevil antics are still among may favorite to watch. Robin are my favorite to talk to, which often attracts the Cardinals, who are next in line in that category. But Robins will actually delight in how badly you fail their song. They'll slow it down for me, without loosing a drop of syllables, or impossible note changes directly next to each other in rapid, undulation. After really botching it for many tries, they laugh in my face and play something vastly more difficult at top speed. I love that! Then the Cardinals show up. Thank goodness for their simple, yet lovely song!

It evolved vastly since this, which was the second week after I built it, but this is a short video of my new {url= Brook that I built for added serenity last year. On HD, I think you might be able to find the North American Green Frog that I aim towards at the end of the shot. We got a pair of them shortly after building it - during the time of year when they pick a permanent home in which to mate. I am so lucky! I am in great anticipation to help nurture those tadpoles! :)
    We actually attracted (for the first time that I've ever seen one) and entire swarm of white bumble bees. Rosie and I pet the big fuzzy bumbles as they collect nectar. They're really cute when you drop the fear and welcome them onto your hand. Never saw white ones before, though. Smaller, like half the size, and white where the yellow is supposed to be.

Well I'll save up some coin for that Audubon sale. I think it's wonderful how worldly that help goes.

edited April 2013

Oh my... I buy my Wife a game, so I have to buy a new product to keep things even. Well... picking that Flydragon...
    "Rosie come back here... Time for nighty-night!" Dog gone it! She's never going to want to stop flying that fella! Hello Daz... um... it hasn't been 30 days yet! LOL

Well this thing sure is neat. I have it in my batch to render a motion blurred version of this image. We'll see how it turns out. It comes right after my animation of the Toon Chameleon climbing along Stone Mason's Log Bridge from the original Enchanted Forest product. In the final second, he snatches a fly off the log! lol
    Should be really cool - even though I knocked the first two seconds off of the eight second animation. Trying it as a looping GIF. If it works okay, I'll go for the full eight seconds, as I kind of wanted to have him just sitting there rolling his eyes in anticipation of the hunt for a while before closing in for the snack. Carrara proves, once again to be a real winner on really manipulating the shaders. Flydragon's eyes and coat now changes like irridium as the light changes on it. Really cool. I added the scales - and will be working on them some more... I ran out of fun time for the day - time to get back to real life again. Well... maybe I can play a little while longer while my wifey is off flying her new dragon fly dragon! :)

Doc15.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 479K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Oooops. I just noticed that there are no lights hitting both of them - so no shadows between them. I'll have to remember to change that. Must be getting old?

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

Evilproducer - I'm liking the light on your medieval renders (this thread and the latest show your renders thread). Look pretty real my friend.

edited December 1969

Evilproducer - I'm liking the light on your medieval renders (this thread and the latest show your renders thread). Look pretty real my friend.

Thanks! I consider that high praise!

edited December 1969

So here's a couple screen shots that may help with setting lights. It's a simple distant light.

The first image shows the light's general control panel with the visibility checkbox at the top with the other ones. To see it, select the light you want to work with in the scene's instances list below the general tab.

The second screen shot shows the Effects tab for the light with the Soft Shadows parameters. You can click the pulldown menu to reveal the shadow catcher option.

The third image shows the top menu bar in the assembly room. Note the little up arrow icon with a circle around it. That's the interactive renderer. It only affects the Assembly room view and perhaps the modeling room views. Not the final renders! Those parameters are set in the render room.

The reason I'm pointing this out, is that if you click the arrow icon it opens the interactive renderer panel where you can select to use the default light map, or use scene lights in the assembly room. Choosing to use the scene lights in the interactive renderer is very useful for setting your lights. It doesn't seem to work with shape lights or Anything Glows lights, but bulb, spot and distant lights all work.

Thank you :-)

I do recall for the posted render, "anything glows" was doing "nothing". Have noted the info and tomorrow shall be a day "well lit" [I hope].

edited December 1969

Found HAIR! 'once' anyway ... maybe I'll find it again one day. Maybe it depends upon what one selects ....

And I think there's something about these grounds with the scenes, like there isn't any is there ... except that things disappear beneath it.

I found the SHADER ROOM ... oh that's going to be fun! [but zee Dodo was too shy to have its picture taken after playing around in there]

hair.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 209K
    edited December 1969

Hair must be placed on the model itself. For instance if you drag the hair icon and drop it on a V4's top level it won't show. You need to expand the hierarchy to see the Model, then drop the hair on the model.

Hair is awesome! There are some caveats to remember, though. It won't work with light domes or volumetric clouds. You can work around the limitations though. For instance, you can put your hairy object in front of a volumetric cloud rather than in it or behind it and it will render fine, or you could render out the cloud and composite it in front of the hairy figure. The light cone would be a strictly post-work thing though.

hairy-chick.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 660K
    edited December 1969

I made a bunch of video tutorials over the past few weeks. I was nearly done with one that I made for Patience, so she could see easy how shaders are handled, but I got really sick. I just finished making Part 1, which came to 15 minutes, so I stopped. You can find it here:

Shaders - A Basic Walthrough
    Make you content look as it should. I’ll begin with the quick and easy methods of correcting the appearance of your models. For those so inclined, I then continue on with a few levels of better understanding within the texture room.

Part 2 will be along as soon as I am able.
    Really sick - not sure what, though... wow.:long:

Hope you enjoy the video.

edited December 1969

I made a bunch of video tutorials over the past few weeks. I was nearly done with one that I made for Patience, so she could see easy how shaders are handled, but I got really sick. I just finished making Part 1, which came to 15 minutes, so I stopped. You can find it here:

Make you content look as it should. I’ll begin with the quick and easy methods of correcting the appearance of your models. For those so inclined, I then continue on with a few levels of better understanding within the texture room.

Sorry to hear about your viral/bacterial/alien invasion Dart. I'll check out your tute once I get to Canada in a few hours...I'll finally have a few days to focus on just 3D stuff...

edited December 1969

Thank you :-) Nice start.

So when you choose/drag something on the left upwards it goes 'poof'?

Will have to try that ... probably on something I still have the installer for lol ...

I don't remember which one, but one of my scene files I said save and shouldn't have 'cause oooooohhhhh weeeeelllllll .... got lots of others :-)

Had fun with those cameras today. How you set up yours sounds like a good start, will try that way next time.

Love the paradox in your tut for beginners. Easy ... yup, like climbing straight up a mountain lol ... nice clip :-)

I saved my first scene file with its own thumbnail :-)

Had some fun with the hair ... and that was the problem before, didn't have the figure selected right. Works now :-)

Dodo now has hair :-) Had to shake it a little to get it right of course.

HarvestTime.png
    1024 x 1024 - 802K
    lookma_HAIR.png
    1024 x 1024 - 917K
    Doc1.png
    1024 x 1024 - 1M