replicator

laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi!!! I'm doind a "sand" woman... so, I use replicators with little "sort of sphères" to fake the sandy effect... With rather big size sand grains, the effect is ok for me, but the scale of the tiny sand grains is too big... when reducing the scale, it's ok, but the amount of replicated items is too low, at maximum,, to get a full coverage... how to do???

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

celmar said:
    Hi!!! I'm doind a "sand" woman... so, I use replicators with little "sort of sphères" to fake the sandy effect... With rather big size sand grains, the effect is ok for me, but the scale of the tiny sand grains is too big... when reducing the scale, it's ok, but the amount of replicated items is too low, at maximum,, to get a full coverage... how to do???
    Personally, I would go for using a sandy texture in the shaders. If you have Photoshop or Gimp or Dogwaffle... apply a sand filter to the texture mpas of your choice, perhaps after some color changing. But also on the Specular maps (which you should place in the highlight channel and reduce the image brightness to about 6 to 10, depending on the brightness of highlight you need) and the Bump Maps.

Otherwise, copy the replicator, paste it, and hit shuffle. Replicating vast numbers will eventually turn your renders really slow, do to the calculations hit on the render engine, however.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Celmar :)

You could try adding a particle system to Emit (object) particles on the surface of the figure,

if you have no velocity, and No gravity,. then the particles should appear on the skin, and stay there

or,... use a few copies of the surface replicator, applied to different shading domains on the figure. as Dartanbeck suggests.

Using a sand texture map,. is also a great idea to fill in any gaps,.. perhaps making a mixer of the skin texture,and the sand texture, with some skin showing through in places,.. depends on what you're going for.

:)

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Hi Celmar :)

You could try adding a particle system to Emit (object) particles on the surface of the figure,

if you have no velocity, and No gravity,. then the particles should appear on the skin, and stay there

Really?
    I have to try this. For some crazy reason, I've always been nervous, reluctant, whatever... to try particles. Not exactly sure why. But then when I tried it... Wow. Very simple, very powerful, very cool.
    This is a really cool idea. I'll have to try that.
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Have you tried a simple noise shader in the bump channel?

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Here is something similar:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/67250/browse/7/Material-and-Shader/Crushed-Sapphire#
    You can just modify the blue to beige in your favorite 2D app.

edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    Here is something similar:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/67250/browse/7/Material-and-Shader/Crushed-Sapphire#
    You can just modify the blue to beige in your favorite 2D app.
    Cool! Garstor's custom shader makes it into the grand scheme of useful sharing!!! Bravo!
  • Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited April 2013

How about shaders and particles!
    Had to make a short video. heh

Oh yeah, and head morph for shake (every good sandman has this)

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APLqZsWtHS8

sandman_still.jpg
    453 x 347 - 33K
    Post edited by Design Acrobat on