Missing morphs in Carrara

ImagoImago Posts: 5,040
edited October 2017 in Carrara Discussion

I don't know if someone else already asked this... I haven't found nothing among other posts!

Anyway, here's my problem:
When using Genesis1 in Carrara I noticed that many morphs are missing, for example NoseHeight and NoseWidth. The odd thing is that Carrara can easily read and use "alien" morphs fron third parties, like RAMWolf's and GenX2 morphs created by me, but not some of the "original" made by DAZ.

Someone knows a method to make Carrara use those stranded morphs?

*EDIT*
Ops, sorry! Found what was wrong, those morphs was listed in another part of the model!cheeky

Post edited by Imago on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Yeah... in Carrara, "Shaping" morphs show up in the "Actor" parameters tab, while the Character's name line above it contains the more "Posing" style morphs/dials. Although we can often (always?) access the facial dials in the Character line too... I'm still accustomed to doing those by selecting the Head.

I swear... if it wasn't for Fenric's "Change Bone Visibility" tool (plugin), I don't know if I would like using Genesis much! LOL

• ImagoImago Posts: 5,040

Genesis1 is magic, I can assure you! And also works great on Carrara!

I felt so betrayed when DAZ returned to separate gender system...

edited October 2017

I agree. I love Genesis 1. So versatile, and auto-fit (in Carrara) works pretty darned good with it, for the most part. But now there's a lot of content available specifically for G1, and a lot of it is on steep discounts with the new figures taking the forefront.

I've collected a lot of Genesis 1 stuff - and will continue to do so ;)

Abominable.jpg
    596 x 719 - 459K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Genesis1 is the way to go.  I see no real improvements in the later generations so far and it's really easy in Carrara to make any clothing for really any figure to autofit Genesis1 just fine (in many cases if you tweak it, clothing fits better than it did on the original figure).  Don't even need the clones in Studio really, though it does make it quicker/easier, but it's as simple as taking the clothing object, rigging it in Studio with Gen1 rigging, opening it in Carrara and putting in a Gen1 figure, then simply modelling in the assembly room with soft select and 'pull/push' the little bits til everything fits exactly perfectly, and voila you've got clothing that works great on Genesis1 no matter how you morph it.

Jonstark said:

Genesis1 is the way to go.  I see no real improvements in the later generations so far and it's really easy in Carrara to make any clothing for really any figure to autofit Genesis1 just fine (in many cases if you tweak it, clothing fits better than it did on the original figure).  Don't even need the clones in Studio really, though it does make it quicker/easier, but it's as simple as taking the clothing object, rigging it in Studio with Gen1 rigging, opening it in Carrara and putting in a Gen1 figure, then simply modelling in the assembly room with soft select and 'pull/push' the little bits til everything fits exactly perfectly, and voila you've got clothing that works great on Genesis1 no matter how you morph it.

Absolutely. With the content creation tools in DS, it's so simple to just turn any clothing into something that fits Genesis.

1. If the clothing was made for a female, open it in Carrara with Genesis loaded and dialed to Basic Female - leave in T-pose
    2. Select the clothing and Edit Mode in the Assemble room to get the fit how we like it - Exit Edit Mode
    3. Export Clothing as OBJ > Daz Studio Preset
    4. In DS, load in Genesis 
    5. Import the OBJ using Carrara preset
    6. During COntent Creation process, go into Advanced settings and have it subtract Basic Female during conversion

In the end, the clothing will now fit the default male version of Genesis!

edited October 2017

Alternatively, if the clothing was made for Genesis 2 Female, what I did was to buy the Cross-Gender plugin for DS, which converts Male Genesis 2 items to Female, or Female Genesis 2 to Male via new morphs. Josh Darling has a video on how to do all of this, and then even save out a final version that just simply is now made for the cross gender of the original.

So I did that with HongYu's Shirt for V5

Since it's a Genesis 1 clothing item, its original shape is that of a male. So I did the method I described in the above post to make it fit Genesis 2 Male, then used the Cross-Gender tool to turn it into a Genesis 2 Female shirt. This was the result on my morph-shaped G2F Rosie. While I was at it, I also made a version with the shirt tied up on the bottom ;)

Rosie 4-11-15.jpg
    793 x 719 - 439K
    Rosie G2F_V4S1Ta.jpg
    644 x 718 - 296K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

But after doing all of that, I actually went back to using my V4 version of Rosie and Dart. Mainly because:

• There simply wasn't enough (clothing and hair) content made for Genesis 2 before it was replaced for Genesis 3
    • Genesis 2 just doesn't behave as nicely as Genesis 1 in Carrara

I am finding that I really like Genesis 1 in Carrara. Perhaps that's because Carrara 8.5 was developed around it?