dForce converter

Dear Santa!

For Christmas, I would like a dForce converter for my old cloth!

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,389

You can already add dForce properties to your old clothes with the tools included in DS. It may or may not work well depending on how the clothes were built in the first place.

• reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,140
    Leana said:

You can already add dForce properties to your old clothes with the tools included in DS. It may or may not work well depending on how the clothes were built in the first place.

Wonderful! Thanks Leana for the info!

You'll find examples and tricks for conversion in the various threads about 4.10 beta.

• Okay, but if a garment was specifically designed to work with Poser cloth-room physics, presumably it will work in DS with dForce more or less without trouble, right?  I ask because there's a specific skirt/sorta-loincloth thingy I've been eying over on Hivewire for awhile that states it needs Poser cloth physics.  Mind you, it also says something about being smartpropped. oO

Yes, if it was built for the cloth room there's a good chance it will work well.

• Beat578Beat578 Posts: 191

I think very important is how it was welded. Marvelous Designer offers the "obj to cloth" option since a year or so. But a lot of cloth tend either to explode, or "fall apart" into seperate pieces because they are not sewn together (unwelded). I don't know how Studio handels those cloth in their simulation. So hopefully, all the cloth made in Marvelous Designer and exportet as one piece will at least work flawlessly in DS, but i didn't have the time to test that yet. 

If item is not welded then the various parts will get separated when simulated with dForce.

• Could you please point out where there are instructions on how to convert older clothes to dForce?

Having a script to do this sure would be nice.

• Could you please point out where there are instructions on how to convert older clothes to dForce?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/206696/daz-studio-4-10-pro-general-release#latest

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here#latest

Put the item on the figure.

Apply a DForce Surface.

Simulate to see how it reacts.

If it explodes, Clear the Simulation and select the Geometry Editor Tool (Tools/Geometry Editor) and open the Tool Options Pane.

Select the Surfaces you want to include in the Simulation (sleeves, main, collar, whatever Surfaces the item has), and click either the Add (+) button to add all polygons of that Surface or use the mouse to select the polygons you want.

It may be easier to click the Add button and then Alt+Click to remove the ones you don't want, such as the seams where it is most likely to explode.

You may also have to start over with the base mesh by loading the garment, then exporting it as an Object, then Importing that object and placing it on the figure. Then you can run the Simulation on it and see if it explodes.

If it does, you'll have to use the Geometry Editor to select the polygons you want, and deselcting the seams where it falls apart.

Once you have all the polygons you want selected, Create a New Surface from that selection. Set the Dynamics of the original Surface you made that selection from to 0 to.

Once you have all the various Surfaces you want, and each one has a New Surface, and all the original Surfaces' Dynamics are set to 0, then your Simulation should work.