Why does dForce keep crashing my Apple Laptop?

Does anyone know why dForce simulation keeps on crashing my Apple Laptop whenever I try to use it?

Comments

• Without knowing the speciications of your system, whether you are using the CPU or - if supported - the GPU, or what is in your scene and what is being draped no. You might want to look at the main  threads on dForce rather than starting a new one, but in any event please provide more information.

• Simulation settings too high, mesh resolution too high, system capability too low, and if you're running Windows through an emulator, then you're using cobbleware to try to run an unstable and user-hostile OS.

• mrjadedmrjaded Posts: 5
    edited November 2017

I am a Macbook user and have had little success with dForce, fabric explosions and crashes, many crashes, even when using the simple basic demonstration files.

HOWEVER

I have had better luck switching from GPU to CPU - Simulation Settings/Advanced. It's early days yet but I have managed to play with it without any crashing. My Macbook has an Intel Iris 6100 Graphic Card and my conclusion is that it's entirely incompatible with dForce.

Post edited by mrjaded on
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,618

I'm not using an Apple computer but I know that it possible to get dForce to crash if you don't setup the simpulation right. dForce items intersecting with other objects can cause crashes. I had one that started off with no intersection but intersected as the figure was moving into position (I was using the simulate over a numer of frames method) and that caused a crash.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,821

I'm not using an Apple computer but I know that it possible to get dForce to crash if you don't setup the simpulation right. dForce items intersecting with other objects can cause crashes. I had one that started off with no intersection but intersected as the figure was moving into position (I was using the simulate over a numer of frames method) and that caused a crash.

So no realistic options for self colliding cloth sim or animation then

Dforce seem like quick & Dirty Alphaware,cool

I am glad I stayed with 4.8 & optitex

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

My macbook creates explosions with the Iris 6100 (this is with the falling blanket); but with CPU, it runs for about twelve seconds then completely hangs.  It's pretty disappointing.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,618
    wolf359 said:

I think it can be done but you may need a bit of luck. I've seen some impressive youtube videos.

I've had a few crashes recently when I couldn't find any intersections, the intersections might not have been to blame like I thought. I am mostly using clothes that aren't verified as dforce compatible which probably isn't helping

• There are quite a few G2 clothes that work well with dForce, but you can't just apply the modifier and go. You have to do some tweaking of the settings. Without knowing exactly which item is having a problem, all anyone can suggest is "fiddle with the knobs".

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,592
    wolf359 said:

Well, I'm certainly glad to have dForce as an option. Here's an example of a self-colliding cloth sim/animation created using Pareo 2 for V4 (https://www.daz3d.com/pareo-2-for-v4) and dForce in DS:

Didn't experience any crashes while running the 300+ frame simulation. More than satisfied with the results - looks pretty realistic to me!

- Greg

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

There does seem to be a problem particular to Macbooks (my iMac works fine).  I guess I'll file a bug report.

• it certainly doesnt work on my mac. wish id never bought this thing.

• Ok so after reading this thread I will not be using anything dForce then. Bummer sad