dForce planned upgrades and projected timeline?

I'm glad to see this product, as I was never happy that DS didn't have a Cloth Room function.

I see from the menus that it uses the GPU, so I'm guessing it's using the CUDA cores specifically? If that's the case, is this planned to eventually make use of more than one/all GPUs in the system, selectable as with IRay? Is there a projected timeline of what features are planned and expected to be implemented?

Comments

• It does not use CUDA; instead it uses OpenCL, which allows for use on any GPU or CPU. Which one is used can be selected in the advanced options tab.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,392

Is there a projected timeline of what features are planned and expected to be implemented?

Daz probably has one, but judging by their past actions there's little chance they will ever release it publicly.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Moving this thread to the DS forum, as it isn't really a product suggestion.

• It does not use CUDA; instead it uses OpenCL, which allows for use on any GPU or CPU. Which one is used can be selected in the advanced options tab.

Using the CPU does require installing the OpenCL driver - Intel's (which I have seen reported as working on AMD CPUs) is linked from the dForce Start Here thread.

At the moment only one engine can be set to do the OpenCL calculations even if you have GPU and CPU support.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    edited October 2017

Here is a feature I would like to see implemented in dForce: Pause and Restart. (Currently if you stop and then restart a simulation it goes back to the begining!)

Sometimes you can see a simulation going wrong. It would be very convenient to be able to stop it and add a magnet to pull clothing in a specific direction to "help" the simulation, then Restart the process, removing the magnet a couple of frames later. Marvelous Designer does this kind of thing in real time... but one step at a time I suppose.

Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,482

Here is a feature I would like to see implemented in dForce: Pause and Restart. (Currently if you stop and then restart a simulation it goes back to the begining!)

Sometimes you can see a simulation going wrong. It would be very convenient to be able to stop it and add a magnet to pull clothing in a specific direction to "help" the simulation, then Restart the process, removing the magnet a couple of frames later. Marvelous Designer does this kind of thing in real time... but one step at a time I suppose.

I'll second all that.

Also, regarding the OP, according to the Known Issues the problem with dForce working with GeoGrafts is fixed in version .108 - does anyone know when that will be released?

• Chohole said:

Moving this thread to the DS forum, as it isn't really a product suggestion.

And yet the tagline reads

All suggestions, ideas, or other feedback concerning products, both existing and desired

"Other feedback" is a very broad concept.

Using the CPU does require installing the OpenCL driver - Intel's (which I have seen reported as working on AMD CPUs) is linked from the dForce Start Here thread.

At the moment only one engine can be set to do the OpenCL calculations even if you have GPU and CPU support.

Does the OpenCL spec allow for multiple processors?

I don't know.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited November 2017

It does not use CUDA; instead it uses OpenCL, which allows for use on any GPU or CPU. Which one is used can be selected in the advanced options tab.

OpenCL supports it sort of. I say sort of, as OSs usually hide where cores are located (thinking about dual CPU systems).

Can't see it being an issue, but those actually doing the coding may have other ideas.

Post edited by nicstt on