Game developer licences gone - with no warning!?!?!?

I logged in today to find a fundamental change for using DAZ assets in games. Rather than buying one licence to use the assets of a particualr vendor you must now buy a licence for each individual item.

I can see that this will make much more money for DAZ and content developers.

However given that this fundamentally changes the cost for poeople who have already invested in DAZ products in the expectation that they would be able to buy game licences in the future, I believe that to make this change with no warning is manifestly unfair.

I therefore propose that the option should remain to buy vendor licences as previously available, or at the very least there should be a period where people have an opportunity to buy the preivously available game licences before a full transition to the new licence model.

I would be interested in what others think.

Comments

• jcp said:

I logged in today to find a fundamental change for using DAZ assets in games. Rather than buying one licence to use the assets of a particualr vendor you must now buy a licence for each individual item.

However given that this fundamentally changes the cost for poeople who have already invested in DAZ products in the expectation that they would be able to buy game licences in the future, I believe that to make this change with no warning is manifestly unfair.

I therefore propose that the option should remain to buy vendor licences as previously available, or at the very least there should be a period where people have an opportunity to buy the preivously available game licences before a full transition to the new licence model.

There is already a thread on this in the Commons, and you're not the only person that's suggested the transition period option. However, this wasn't simply a money grab, though it may seem to be. There are indications taht some percentage of people that wanted to use DAZ assets in games were put off from doing so because they only wanted one or two from a particular PA and didn't see the older licensing as particularly appealing since they would be spending far more for licensing one item than it was worth to them.

• jcpjcp Posts: 6

My bad - should have looked there first. I can see the new model will be better for some - but a lot worse for others.

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    jcp said:

My understanding, from reading the 'WTF?' link, is that previously-purchased licenses remain in force, and that henceforth, only newly-purchased products are licensed by the individual product, as opposed to the previous regime, where the license applied to the artist's entire catalog, whether you had any interest in using a particular product or not. Frankly, it strikes me as a better arrangement for everybody: both for the artists and the game developers. The cost barrier to developers has been lowered significantly (Jack Tomalin's commercial license, for example, was insanely expensive -- but then, Jack's stuff is worth it!), and that reduces the incentive for developers to engage in attempts at copyright infringement. I don't do game development -- not yet, anyway -- but if and when I do, I think this new arrangement would work for me just fine.
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018

You haven't read the WTF thread, have you, Ken? They say just the opposite, that no one can afford using their bought things in Games any more...

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

THe old game licences remain in effect for the complete catalog, new included.  Should be in the new EULA