DSON refuses to install

edited December 1969 in New Users

I CAN'T be the only one who has ever had this problem, but I can't find any information about it. I've tried to install the DSON importer over and over and over again. I'm doing exactly what it says to do in the "Installing the DSON Importer for Poser" page, and I've gone over the steps AGAIN every time I uninstall and then try to reinstall. No matter what I do, it does not show up correctly in Poser 9. All I see under scripts is DSON Support, Importer Preferences, and Transfer Active Morphs-- NOT the long menu list shown on the Importer page. In the Poser 9 scripts folder, sure enough, those three things are the only ones in there.

This is the message that continuously shows up in Poser...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Smith Micro\Poser 9\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\DSON Support\Importer Preferences....py", line 2, in
import dson;
ImportError: No module named dson

I CANNOT find what I've done wrong-- I've followed every single step;. HELP.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited April 2013

I don;t have Poser 9 or DSON, but perhaps these links will help until someone who knows about this comes along?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14128/ This may be the most helpful one in your case.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14254/

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11252/

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • edited December 1969

I read everything, tried everything, and put in a real time investment;;; and it still does not work. Here are ALL the steps...

The first person in the first link. had installed DSON.
    Here’s what they said they were getting: “I can get it to work in DazStudio mind you but I work in Poser. I also keep getting the exact same error message any time that I try to load the product. “the DSON Importer requires a writable runtime folder that is outside of Program files. Add a writable runtime folder to the library and try again”
    That’s not the one I’ve been getting. Still, I went on.

An admin then said that it shouldn’t be installed to the program folder in the first place. The problem with that is that installing it to the program folder is EXACTLY what the instructions tell you to do and emphasize that you should do. There’s even a screenshot showing the Poser 9 top folder in Programs and the instructions actually say “You must install the DSON Importer for Poser in your Poser installation directory. The same location you have Poser installed.” (Yes, in red.)

On to the second link...

The second person was getting this error: SystemError: NULL result without error in PyObject_Call
    Again, that’s not the same message I keep getting. And I think that this person didn’t use all the installers, which I did do. Again, here’s a recap of exactly what I did in all its agonizing details:
    THIS was installed in the actual Poser 9 folder, which is what the DS documentation said to do:
    http://download.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/14897/file/72551/DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.56_Win32.exe
    THESE were first installed with the default folder location, which was in the Daz 3D library. I THEN tried doing exactly what they said in the installation, which was to create a Genesis Starters folder in the Daz library in Public Documents. That didn’t work either.
    http://download.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/14812/file/72295/14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.11_trx.exe
    http://download.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/14812/file/72293/14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.11_dpc.exe

http://download.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/14812/file/72295/14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.11_trx.exe
    http://download.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/14812/file/72293/14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.11_dpc.exe

On to the third person. They did actually keep getting the error I did:
    File “/Users/Shared/Poser Pro 2012 Content/Runtime/libraries/character/DAZ People/Basic Male.py”, line 1, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter

Someone rather unhelpfully said that it was “user error”, which the OP clarified that it was not. The OP then went on to say that he’d installed the service updates and reinstalled DSON after that.
    I did the same thing.
    As soon as the installer began…

HAPPY FUN BRAND NEW ERROR!

I’m having trouble with getting a screenshot of this one, so I’ll summarize it: some kind of script can’t be put into a runtime, and the install had to be aborted. I made three separate attempts. THERE HAS TO BE A SOLUTION TO THIS. But nobody can say that I haven't tried. :)

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Did you updater Poser 9 with SR3?. I believe it is needed for DSON to work.

• edited April 2013

That's exactly what I did after reading what the third OP had done. I installed SR3 (I didn't do 1 or 2, though, which was what he'd done in addition to 3.) I said that at the end of a LONG post, so some might not have caught it. The OP didn't specifically say that he'd had the same error I did (the script error), but he might have just gotten tired of spelling them all out by then!

Post edited by anise_leinen_390fa63a2b on
    edited December 1969

Sorry, I missed that bit about 'service update', I was kinda speed reading and was scanning for 'SR3'. The only other options I can recommend is ask at the Poser forum at Renderosity or re-install Poser outside the Program Files folder. I have never installed to the Program Files Folders if I can avoid it and since Vista on this seems the best way to reduce conflicts.

• edited April 2013

Thanks-- I might try reinstalling. I'm still getting the same error as before, except NOW there's a new one in addition-- it'll keep asking for the location of endless specific jpg files. it really never does get to the end of this. I might as WELL reinstall in another location, but if that's the solution, then (IMHO) the installation instructions probably should not be emphasizing over and over again (in red letters, no less) that the program file folder is the ONLY place to install it. Back to the drawing board! :) (Maybe I'll go old school today and just draw with a pencil... in an actual sketchbook...)

• edited December 1969

Update:
    Installing DSON in an external folder outside of the program files didn't do anything at all. Still getting this error...

File "C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Genesis.py", line 1, in
    File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Smith Micro\Poser 9\Runtime\Python\addons\dson\__init__.py", line 3, in
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

So, I think I'll leave it alone for a little while and then try your suggestions.

edited December 1969

It is a plug-in for Poser it has to be installed to the main Poser folder. Because of UAC it is not wise to install programs in to the Program Files folders unless you are willing to always be logged in as administrator and run the program as administrator.

• edited April 2013

But... but wouldn't that actually be the Poser folder in programs? That's the exact one that the installer keeps pointing me to.

(is confused)

Here's what it says in the DS installation instructions:

tep 2 - How do I Install the Importer?

Download the DSON Importer for Poser installer.
    Browse to your save location and double-click the DSON Importer for Poser icon to run the installer.
    If you are on a Windows machine and UAC is active, you will need to select the option to allow the installer to Run.
    DSON Installer Welcome Screen Next, you will be presented with Welcome Screen. You will be able to verify the version of the installer you are running. In the screenshot, notice we are running the 64bit DSON installer. Once you verify that you are installing the version needed for your set up, click “Next”.
    The next screen will ask you to accept the license agreement. Read the agreement and choose “I Accept the Agreement” and click “Next”. If you choose not to accept the agreement and hit “Next”, the installation will exit without making any changes to your computer.
    32bit Install Path In this screen, you are given the opportunity to choose the installation path. The default will be for Poser 2012, so if you are installing the 32bit Poser 9 version, make sure you browse to your Poser 9 installation location as seen here on the left. Clicking the image will give you a full size view for better visibility. You must install the DSON Importer for Poser in your Poser installation directory. The same location you have Poser installed.

That's red in the original.

Here's the screenshot in the instructions showing where to install DSON:

maybe I need to go to the quiet room for awhile... :)

dson_installer_issue.jpg
    728 x 461 - 74K
    edited April 2013

I am saying un-install Poser and re-install outside of the Program Files folders. I known it sound strange to recommend don't install their programs inside the Program Files folders but the whole UAC has made it necessary for any program that needs to write to itself.

Post edited by jestmart on
  • edited December 1969

Um... I think I'm going to have to think about that. (Is afraid.) I think I'll ask some computer geeks I know if it's possible that I could accidentally do anything irreversibly horrible that way.

• jaxprogjaxprog Posts: 312
    edited December 1969

This post may be going on two years old but the issue can still be encountered into current times (year 2015) because I just experienced the problem with Poser 2014 and resolved it. I am contributing my two cent worth the simplify all that has been said into a step by step to resolve this issue for present/future daz studio/poser users.
    Problem:
    When using poser and attempting to add Daz Studio content you receive the following cryptic message:
    Path may vary depending upon what you are attempting to load.

File “/Users/Shared/Poser Pro 2012 Content/Runtime/libraries/character/DAZ People/Basic Male.py”, line 1, in
    ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter

Why is this problem occurring?
    It’s not poser’s fault or a bug in poser. Jetsmart summed it up already stating it has to do with Microsoft windows, its user’s accounts and admin functionality within Windows. If you install software in:

C:\Program Files OR
    C:\Program Files (x86)

…then that software is subjected to user accounts and admin permissions functionality which annoyingly may interfere with file read/writes such the DSON Importer for Poser

Solution:
    Right now your poser software is installed under the program files folder structure.
    1) Go to program and features via control panel in Windows
    2) Look for your poser application in the list, click it and click uninstall/change button
    3) Allow poser to fully uninstall
    4) Go the windows explorer and delete any last remnants of poser in the program files folder structure. For example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2014
    a. You may leave the downloader structure intact but delete poser pro 2014 folder and sub folder to clean up the uninstall.
    5) Next load up your poser downloader/installer. (The equivalent to this is Daz Studio’s DIMM)
    6) Pick your serial number for the version of poser you are installing, which will fill the downloader ui with your poser files.
    7) Install poser.
    a. During setup you will be presented with a path to install poser which defaults to C:\Program Files (x86)\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2014
    b. Change the path value to C:\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2014
    c. Click next
    d. Next you will presented with a path to install your Poser Content or Runtime. Change this path if you need to. For example: I have all my Daz Studio/Poser content runtime folders on a separate drive because it takes up a lot space and I want all my content on a dedicated drive. My base folder structure looks like this: D:\DIM_Content. All the sub folders like Runtime, People, Materials, Props and etc are all sub folders under DIM_Content.
    8) After installation go to Daz3D website, acquire DSON Importer for Poser via the shopping cart/purchase process. It’s free! Just acquire as if you were purchasing it. Put it in the cart. Check out with $0.00 to pay.
    9) Load Daz Studio DIMM
    10) Go to DIMM Settings, the little cog icon button upper right… click it
    11) Click applications tab.
    a. You may or may not have poser in your application’s path.
    12) Click the + button to add poser path. Provide the path C:\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2014
    a. Alternatively if you have a poser path then you need to confirm what the current path is. Click … (ellipses button ) and change the path to C:\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2014
    13) Click the Accept button the close Settings
    14) Click Ready to Download tab on DIMM
    15) Download and Install DSON Importer for Poser
    16) Close DIMM
    17) Load Poser and load Genesis/Genesis 2 or any other previous offending product into the poser scene.
    18) If it loads you are good to go. If it doesn’t your problem is beyond the scope of this solution.

Good Luck!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449
    edited December 1969

It is not necessary to install Poser outside program Files, as long as your content is outside Program Files. I suspect that this helped you because it fixed some other issue, not because the change of location itself was required.

edited December 1969

Placing the programs outside of the UAC protected Program Files folders can fix administrator privilege issues. With each new version of Windows OS the UAC crap seems to become more paranoid so just skip the drama and don't use protected folders whenever possible.

• Well, I am facing the same error, and I have always installed outside the Program Files folder as a matter of policy.  I'm running Pro 2012 under Vista.  I ran the BitRock installer to direct DSON Importer into my Pro 2012 application folder, unzipped Genesis 2 Starter content to a new runtime, unzipped V6 and M6 to the same, launched Pro 2012 and attempted to add V6.  "No module named dson.dzdsonimporter"  If a module is supposed to be a file with that filename, no such name appears in a search.  Reinstalling DSON Importer changed nothing.

I'm an animator who uses Poser.  Studio is not installed.  Is that a factor?  I found nothing relevant in either the manuals or the knowledge base.  Any suggestions?

Glory to the Lord!

Disciple

• DiscipleDisciple Posts: 89
    edited October 2015

Apparently I did not, because doing so has overwritten my prefs and eliminated the Library pane.  It's now a great blank with a red X.  I can no longer load any content, let alone my Genesis figures.  A small Windows notification declares that an add-in has failed to run, and recommends consulting the security settings in the Internet Options panel in search of possible conflicts.  Does that panel have a helpful conflict log full of relevant information?  You might think so, but you would be sadly mistaken.  However, the Event Viewer does have a log filled with a million billion incomprehensible entries.  Can I search them for entries tagged "Poser Pro 2012"?  You might think so, but you would be woefully in error.  Did adding exceptions labeled "Poser" to the Windows Firewall program list produce any change?  You might hope so, but that hope would be crushed by cruel disappointment.

This software must be updated.  This updated software cannot run on this system.  No previous versions available.

Thank you, Smith Micro.  I have been hoisted once again by this same petard.  It grows tiresome.  Dare I ask for more suggestions?

Blessed be the Name!

Disciple

Post edited by Disciple on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449
    edited October 2015

Internet Explorer 11 broke the library pane in Poser - but I thought PP2012, and P9, had been patched after a while to deal with that (originally SM patched only the then-current versions, PP2014 and P10). Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe AIR and Flash, and try running the library floating isntead of embedded (I can't recall the exact command but there are two options for the library's mode).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • I shall do so, but can you guess why I am paranoid regarding more software updates?

Okay, done...to my further disappointment.  DSON import to Poser Pro 2012 is successful.  Problems beyond this point are due to shortcomings in V6, but for the first time she is in my preview window.  Sincere thanks to all who helped.

Hosanna to the King!

Disciple