HSS, SSS, OMG... Where do I find out what all these abbreviations stand for?

staticstatic Posts: 325
edited December 1969 in The Commons

As I look through different threads, I often see abbreviations for products or parts of products that I don't always understand. Is there a list of abbreviations somewhere? All I have been able to locate, so far, are lists for character products, i.e., V3, M5, SP3, etc... I know these, but, what I don't know are ones like SSS, HSS, AO, and many others that are on the tip of my fingers, but I just can't seem to get them past that right now 9 (left my notepad in the other computer ;-) ). I just recall these as I have been looking at some Shader stuff recently, but, as so often happens, The people discussing the idea already know the abbreviated text, so joiners and watchers are expected to know it as well.

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,561
    edited December 1969

http://www.abbreviations.com/ won't give you any clues,

HSS Human Surface Shader
    SSS SubSurface Scattering
    AO Ambient Occlusion

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

HSS Human Surface Shader
    SSS Sub Surface Scattering
    OMG Oh My Gosh....

There is a Index running around here some place I'll add a Link when I find it again.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2013
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,933
    edited December 1969

noises I make doing,, :red: stuff

• staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Well, that's a good start, but HSS and SSS aren't on that list. But thanks.

edited April 2013

Sub Surface Scattering is, but spelled out, not abbreviated

It does need an addendum I know, not sure if we could persuade Lordvicore to add to it. That one was carried over from the old forums.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Thats the one. TY.
  • RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Static, definitions of the abreviations are needed and I would suggest saving any you find that are good, but these are advanced concepts not simply words. That is, a simple definition will only get one so far in understanding what is being referenced often. Each of these words incorporate a whole series of concepts with many attributes that are all necessary in understanding the conversation they are contained in. Basically, there is no shortcut sometimes... one needs to learn the associated concepts as well as the word definitions. I would even argue that many of the word definitions won't get one very far on their own as they would be too simplistic or complex in themselves due to the limitations of a single definition for them.

• staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited April 2013

Well, that's what I was trying to get across above, I need to know what the abbreviations mean. not just the words they stand for.
    However, if I can find out what they stand for, I can look up better references to the words in a different thread or try to find a related video.
    Regardless, I still have to start with the words that the letters stand for in order to look for, ask for, or find those definitions.

So with the valuable information garnered from Totte and Jaderail, I now have a place to start my education. Before that, it was a lost cause.

Post edited by static on
  • Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

Skin So Soft; High Speed Steel; Oh My Gosh. ;)

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    edited April 2013

chohole said:

It does need an addendum I know, not sure if we could persuade Lordvicore to add to it. That one was carried over from the old forums.

I'd be more than happy to update the previous glossary! In fact I was going to do it right before the site change, but then I figured I should just wait a few days till everything sorted out... but... lets just say in the interim I got distracted... maybe by something shiny or by some bacon or something... but in that elapsed time I forgot... I actually had a TextEdit document with all the new terms probably around 20 or more that were ready to be added... as well as addition notes on my iPhone. If SSS and HSS are not on there, they will be now. I'll repost the thread as soon as I locate the document...

actually... I just went and looked for it... apparently "it" is six separate documents... I think there are a bit more than 20 new terms... I must have been on another coffee bender... I'll have to sort it all out and see if it is all relevant... mostly it looks to be (from the first two pages)... If its too much I'll whittle it down... HSS and SSS are both there.

On a separate note, one definition that I will now be adding to the list...

AutoCorrect: (also Auto-Correct) An exciting feature found on most Tablets and Smart Phones that allows users to offend friends, family and important business contacts, by randomly inserting assorted oddly chosen inappropriate words into typed messages. . This also carries the added benefit of making simple text messages take up twice as long (three times as long for voice recognition based dictation software which attempts to auto correct you cursing at it). The software uses advanced algorithms to identify the word most likely to have been intended, and then inserts an entirely different word that either makes no sense or conveys the impression of having been written by an angry drunk.
    Example of auto-correct logic: "You are fabulous" becomes: "You are fat" .... "I love you" becomes: "I loathe you" .... " I hope you don't" becomes: "I hope you die"... " I have forwarded you the requested documents." becomes: "I have burned your village and raped your cattle."

Really, I actually had to give up trying to write this post on my stupid Kindle because it butchered what I had written so badly... but the good thing is that prompted me to write this at home where I went and found the glossary documents again.

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited December 1969

Yeah we had to carry it over in bits, because of the character count allowed on this new forum.

And LOL at the Auto Correct. Predictive text is another nice one. I am really gald I retired and no longer need tocarry a cell phone around with me.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I'd be more than happy to update the previous glossary! In fact I was going to do it right before the site change, but then I figured I should just wait a few days till everything sorted out... but... lets just say in the interim I got distracted... maybe by something shiny or by some bacon or something... but in that elapsed time I forgot... I actually had a TextEdit document with all the new terms probably around 20 or more that were ready to be added... as well as addition notes on my iPhone. If SSS and HSS are not on there, they will be now. I'll repost the thread as soon as I locate the document...

actually... I just went and looked for it... apparently "it" is six separate documents... I think there are a bit more than 20 new terms... I must have been on another coffee bender... I'll have to sort it all out and see if it is all relevant... mostly it looks to be (from the first two pages)... If its too much I'll whittle it down... HSS and SSS are both there.

On a separate note, one definition that I will now be adding to the list...

AutoCorrect: (also Auto-Correct) An exciting feature found on most Tablets and Smart Phones that allows users to offend friends, family and important business contacts, by randomly inserting assorted oddly chosen inappropriate words into typed messages. . This also carries the added benefit of making simple text messages take up twice as long (three times as long for voice recognition based dictation software which attempts to auto correct you cursing at it). The software uses advanced algorithms to identify the word most likely to have been intended, and then inserts an entirely different word that either makes no sense or conveys the impression of having been written by an angry drunk.
    Example of auto-correct logic: "You are fabulous" becomes: "You are fat" .... "I love you" becomes: "I loathe you" .... " I hope you don't" becomes: "I hope you die"... " I have forwarded you the requested documents." becomes: "I have burned your village and raped your cattle."

Really, I actually had to give up trying to write this post on my stupid Kindle because it butchered what I had written so badly... but the good thing is that prompted me to write this at home where I went and found the glossary documents again.

You're not kidding on the AutoCorrect are you?

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    edited December 1969

About Auto Correct sucking goat hooves or about it mangling what I was trying to post from a Kindle? I know some people like it (my wife) and some people shout at it and make threats against it's life (me)... for example when I tried typing "SSS" it kept inserting something completely stupid like "Harbinger"... it doesn't even begin with "S"... Never mind Siri who keeps thinking I'm shouting "Duck" and "Beach" at her... although at least she learned "UV" after I threw the phone...

@chohole... Hows this for Predictive Text?

Predictive Text: An input technology used where one key or button represents many letters, none of which will actually correlate to the word the user is trying to type at the moment. Each key press results in a prediction rather than repeatedly sequencing through the same group of "letters" it represents, in the same, invariable order. Predictive text allows for an entire word to be input by single keypress, yet usually not the word any sane person would intend to use in that sentence. The software is widely used to encourage smartphone users into shouting profanities in public. Future versions of predictive text will incorporate advanced technology that will enable the user to type entire incoherent paragraphs of random words with one keypress or harsh glance.

edited December 1969

LOL!! Both are so true. If you think I'm kidding, buy Dragon Naturally Speaking and suffer through the two to four week Training period. It will type some words that you KNOW never even came close to your mouth let alone out of it. Then it will still get the easy ones all goofed up just because they all sound the same. Sail and Sale are fully transferable as far as it is concerned and sew, so, sow are as well.

edited December 1969

dragons do not naturally speak, they blow fire.

edited April 2013

About Auto Correct sucking goat hooves or about it mangling what I was trying to post from a Kindle? I know some people like it (my wife) and some people shout at it and make threats against it's life (me)... for example when I tried typing "SSS" it kept inserting something completely stupid like "Harbinger"... it doesn't even begin with "S"... Never mind Siri who keeps thinking I'm shouting "Duck" and "Beach" at her... although at least she learned "UV" after I threw the phone...

@chohole... Hows this for Predictive Text?

Predictive Text: An input technology used where one key or button represents many letters, none of which will actually correlate to the word the user is trying to type at the moment. Each key press results in a prediction rather than repeatedly sequencing through the same group of "letters" it represents, in the same, invariable order. Predictive text allows for an entire word to be input by single keypress, yet usually not the word any sane person would intend to use in that sentence. The software is widely used to encourage smartphone users into shouting profanities in public. Future versions of predictive text will incorporate advanced technology that will enable the user to type entire incoherent paragraphs of random words with one keypress or harsh glance.

That sounds about right. lol and it has led to groups where people have fun posting other peoples disastrous text messages that have been sent without correction.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Right now I think I'm glad I bought a standard Kindle since I really only wanted it for reading anyway and I only have a dumb phone that I never turn on anyway (it's dumb as in it only makes phone calls).

SSS gives you Harbinger? Really? I don't doubt that it gave you that, I just can't figure the logic of how it gets from point A to point B.

Predictive text. Why does this feel like another one of those one step forward and three steps back.

I tied Dragon Naturally Speaking years ago. IIRC it was version 3 or 4. I gave up after a couple of days. I could type faster and with more accuracy that it could.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

<---grinning evilly</span>
    Got a new one for you: OSD: OpenSubDiv :P

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Too confuse things even more ;)

OSD: on-screen display

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-screen_display

edited April 2013

Hmm, and I always thought that meant 'overtly sexual disorder' as in "Oh, you have osd? What are you doing friday night?"

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited April 2013

I get very confused by HDRI & HDR both are high dynamic range images and both open interchangeably under hdri or hdr import in my programs
    I guess it is like ATM machine or LAME encoder where the last letter or the acronym is repeated.
    and how come I can take HDR images with my Android but they are jpgs?

below the two images taken in quick succession with diff exposures and the composite
    might be "fake" as Gedd says below but I do like how it makes the colour and detail pop!

2011-08-11_15.22_.59_.jpg
    1584 x 912 - 770K
    2011-08-11_15.22_.56_-1_.0Ev_.jpg
    1600 x 960 - 948K
    2011-08-11_15.22_.56_+1_.0Ev_.jpg
    1600 x 960 - 920K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited April 2013

Because someone is lying to you basically. HDR is often used to refer to images that the color range has been extended in any number of ways but it actually refers to images where the color data has been captured using some method that goes beyond typical camera formats usually by taking multiple bracketed exposures in a raw format then combining them. Making an HDR image out of a single raw image, which is still more information then a jpg format can hold is called 'fake HDR.' The line between this and full HDR isn't as great as people would suspect however as Raw allows a wider range of capture then is able to be represented visibly in a single image so one can extract the data necessary to do a basic form of HDR. And to your first point, yes HDR and HDRI are the same.

The HDRI Handbook is a good resource for information on HDR.

I should mention, I've seen some pretty nice photo manipulation applets on Android/iOS and the one you mention might be one. It's just that people marketing things often misrepresent things because it implies something they are trying to get across with what their product does, not even intending to mislead in some instances.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

I have a program that does it too btw

edited December 1969

I get very confused by HDRI & HDR both are high dynamic range images and both open interchangeably under hdri or hdr import in my programs
    I guess it is like ATM machine or LAME encoder where the last letter or the acronym is repeated.
    and how come I can take HDR images with my Android but they are jpgs?

below the two images taken in quick succession with diff exposures and the composite
    might be "fake" as Gedd says below but I do like how it makes the colour and detail pop!

Ok, have to apologize. If it's using multiple jpgs, technically it could be considered HDRI of a sorts, and yes.. it does help extend the functionality of the camera over what it could do physically on it's own. It looks like a nice app :)

edited December 1969

nice price too, free!

edited December 1969

Yes, that's one of the nice things about the applet market format. When it does become more common to charge (I'm assuming it will) I believe the prices will stay in the 'consumable' range, like that of a candy bar or hamburger on average, as they have been for ones that do charge now.