Jump Links for Daz Studio

A nice feature for Daz Users who have invested thousands of dollars in 3d content would be jump links.

Let's say you are builiding your scene with model in place, posed and set. You go to pick an outfit but want to use another artist's texture set. You navigate and navigate looking for that texuture because, the two products are typically located in two different folders per the artist who created it. Instead of navigating through countless folders looking for that texture set, a user creates a one-way or two-way new jump link that links both products.

So, I find my clothing outfit and apply it my model. I click the jump link which links to the texture set, located inside the clothing product folder and I am instantly there ready to my apply textures.

Do I hear a can do attitude out there? 

I realize development takes time and software gets developed in itereation cycles, so this be in version 5.11 or a patch. So no rush, something to consider.

I appreciate your time.

Comments

• Can you give an example of products you're talking about? Most products with addon textures are added to the library structure of that product.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited November 2017

I use Categories for this -- I set up my own categories for everything and put the materials in a subfolder of the item.

Are these products that are in Poser formats?  Most products in DS formats are already set up this way.

Smart Content is another way that add-on textures can be jumped to directly from the item they apply to. but again the older items won't always have metadata linking them, but you can easily create metadata, which is effectively creating a jump link between the item and the textures..

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • Beat578Beat578 Posts: 191

Can you give an example of products you're talking about? Most products with addon textures are added to the library structure of that product.

Hi Chris

Glad you jump on to that. Jaxprog's Idea is kind of Brilliant and easy the same: If you take all the great Textures form Shana's Soulmate at Rendo for example, they are all under Shana's Soulamte and somtimes (because of the Names) you don't even Remember what cloth they are made for (I ende looking them up in the Library again). So how about "tagging" your set's as you can do in Music? I listen to music a lot and got a huge Library there as well. So I tagged all my soundfiles, not only "pop, rock,..." but as well with Tags only I use, but I can group them like that easily. So if we could "Tag" our clothing Items, add Remarks to them and use those tag's or remarks as filters, It would be amazing and everbody could group the files the way the want without having to change anyting in the folder structure. 

Tagging is already available -- at the bottom of the Smart Content or Content Library panes there's a subpane labelled "Additional Info" -- click the rectangle in the center of the bottom lin eof the pane to expand it, then click the tab that says "Tags".

additional info subpane 1.png
    559 x 787 - 36K
    additional info subpane 2.png
    563 x 786 - 35K
  • What Mike is suggesting should work.

• Beat578Beat578 Posts: 191

cool, thanks that's new to me. Wow. Why didn't i knew that earlier, it would have save me hours of seraching already!!

Thanky mike for pointing that out to me.

• jaxprogjaxprog Posts: 312

Tagging is already available -- at the bottom of the Smart Content or Content Library panes there's a subpane labelled "Additional Info" -- click the rectangle in the center of the bottom lin eof the pane to expand it, then click the tab that says "Tags".

What Beat578 said is spot on. I apologize I should have qualified that most of my navigating is done on renderosity purchased products. I have a lot content by lilflame and xtrart-3d while sveva, anagord and many others crete endless texture sets for these products. These texture sets are seperate from the product they enhance.

So, how does one create a tag? Does the tag behave like a link?

I never really paid much attention to the botton of the content library panes.

Appreicate your time.

• jaxprogjaxprog Posts: 312

I use Categories for this -- I set up my own categories for everything and put the materials in a subfolder of the item.

Are these products that are in Poser formats?  Most products in DS formats are already set up this way.

Smart Content is another way that add-on textures can be jumped to directly from the item they apply to. but again the older items won't always have metadata linking them, but you can easily create metadata, which is effectively creating a jump link between the item and the textures..

I used to use categories and its a great feature. After having had two laptops bite the dust and an occassional daz studio reinstall over the past 4 years, creating categories is just way too time consuming. I have thousands of of thousands of content and products. I need a more efficent mechanism to get around in my content library.

• Find the item you want to add tags to in a content pane and select it.

Make sure you have the bottom panel expanded - that will have the Tags tab.

Enter your desired tags, with commas between them if entering more than one, in the text box below the existing tags

Click Apply Changes.

Note that tags are saved in the same database as categories, so make sure you Export User Data to back them up.

• jakobrhjakobrh Posts: 101

I've created my own database with all the info I need for all my assets. That includes Content Library location, bundles, addons, tags and much more.

Luckly I started with the database after only a few orders. It's takes an effort to update it with every order. But it also saves me a lot of time.