New Graphics card

petes imagespetes images Posts: 213
edited November 2017 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi Can anyone suggest a new Graphics card. I have the NVIDIA GT 640 at the moment, it is working but not as efficient anymore, just been on to NVIDIA help desk they recommend a new card as they do not recommend my present one, also must support open cl for the new dforce as the gt640 desn't. Budget up to £300 but obviously the less cost the better

thanks

pete

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Moved to daz studio Discussion as it isn't a suggestion for a product.

Do you know the rating of your current power supply? How big is your case?

• petes imagespetes images Posts: 213
    edited November 2017

thanks case is standard size desktop, power supply Power unit is 500 watt

Post edited by petes images on
  • thanks case is standard size desktop, power supply Power unit is 500 watt

I would go with a GTX-1070 if you can afford it, if not, a GTX-1060 will work great for DAZ.

• Hi MoNeart

couldn't afford the 1070 so have just finished installing the 1060 from Maplins a quick test proved good, just rendering a quick basic genesis 3 model

thanks for the reply

• kenmokenmo Posts: 906

Are Nvidia cards preferred over ATI/AMD video cards?

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    kenmo said:

I'm not sure about Dforce but if you're into iray then Nvidia is the only game in town.

Cheers,

Alex.

• kenmo said:

Iray work also on ATI card but not really optimized for, so, it would fall into your CPU not GPU.
    ​Iray with a nVidia Card can use the GPU instead of CPU, and then provide a greatly quickly renders ! (also better optimized).

​But ATI and nVidia cards can basically do the same, the fact is as far I know, with nVidia card it's just more quick !

• Atanacius said:
    kenmo said:

Iray work also on ATI card but not really optimized for, so, it would fall into your CPU not GPU.
    ​Iray with a nVidia Card can use the GPU instead of CPU, and then provide a greatly quickly renders ! (also better optimized).

​But ATI and nVidia cards can basically do the same, the fact is as far I know, with nVidia card it's just more quick !

Iray will do nothing with AMD/ATI graphics cards.