Painted Portrait style

ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
edited November 2017 in The Commons

Anyone know of any good tutorials on using style to make 3D images look like painted portraits?

I'm developing a graphic novel and I'm looking into this particular style.  Kinda something akin to how IgnisSerpentus does her promos for her products (but not quite).

Post edited by ScarletX1969 on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,919

If you use Photoshop there is effects that will do that. She does a lot of painting in Photoshop to do her promos

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,247

Hi Derry :)

Im not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I have a few still available (very old)  painting tutorials at Renderosity.  Its been a very long time since Ive even taken a look at them, but one takes you completely step by step in photoshop 7. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

Try downloading a copy of topaz impressions. There is a free 30 day trial

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    Not a tutorial recommendation, but FotoSketcher is a free PC app that is easy to use.
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,793

YouTube has a ton of tutorials. Search postwork or Photoshop. Everyone has different techniques and you can always pick up some new ideas on how to do things. Just watching other people as they create their art can be very helpful. You will probably need a Wacom tablet and stylus or even an iPad Pro with stylus to get the best results.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153
    edited November 2017

There's also a plugin for Photoshop called Photo Donut that can give some nice effects...a lot of them are free. Also, there is the Google Nik Collection filters that are completely free and contain a group of filters called Color Efex that can give some awesome looks to your renders. FWIW, the Nik filters also work in Affinity Photo and there is a version of GIMP with them already included called Partha Gimp.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • frank0314 said:

If you use Photoshop there is effects that will do that. She does a lot of painting in Photoshop to do her promos

I need to stop assuming PAs are male I see...my fault...lol.  Love her stuff though.  Huge fan.

• Hi Derry :)

Im not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I have a few still available (very old)  painting tutorials at Renderosity.  Its been a very long time since Ive even taken a look at them, but one takes you completely step by step in photoshop 7. 

Thanks, I will check this out.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    edited November 2017

There are some great programs for post work. 

I HIGHLY recommend the NIK COLLECTION, a plug-in for Photoshop. I also recommend Topaz Studio, which is a stand-alone program for creating post work effects. Both the Nik Collection and Topaz Studio are free. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Filter Forge which is stand alone application and Photoshop plugin can do some of those types of filter effects.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

If you are looking to do it manually, you can try Krita, which is freeware Painting program for Windows, Linux and OSX

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

If you have Photoshop, you can also look for Photoshop actions. ‘Make this a painting’ is a common one. Graphic River sells them and you can find them for free in various places. 

• If you have Photoshop, you can also look for Photoshop actions. ‘Make this a painting’ is a common one. Graphic River sells them and you can find them for free in various places. 

These actions look great.  I already see some ideas here.  Thanks!!!!

• Fotosketcher.

It's free. Not sure how it compares for 'shop plugins but it's better than most G'Mic filters. And you can't beat the price.

• I saw someone mention DAP, Dynamic Auto Painter?  Anyone using that?

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281

My own favorite go-to is AlienSkin's SnapArt Photoshop Plug in, but Topaz Labs have a whole slew of corrective/artistic filters for images, and a lot of them are standalones.

• I saw someone mention DAP, Dynamic Auto Painter?  Anyone using that?

Yes, it's incredible.

• Heres IgnisSerpentus' youtube channel she has a bunch of tutorials on her page.they are pretty easy to follow.  https://www.youtube.com/user/DamageInc3D/videos

• xmasrosexmasrose Posts: 1,403

Dynamic Auto Painter (DAP) is on sale for Black Friday.