FYI: GPU Texture Baker: Knald

DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Not sure if any of you have seen this. Just got sent a suggestion to see it:
Knald is the world’s first GPU powered solution for generating “bake quality” textures from any 2D source texture.
By harnessing the power of OpenCL™, Knald is a cross hardware platform solution and therefore is not limited to any specific GPU vendor. (NVIDIA or AMD cards are currently supported) If your graphics card supports OpenCL™ then you are good to go!
How fast is ultra fast?

Knald can generate a Normal, Derivative, Displacement/Height, Ambient Occlusion, Concavity and Convexity maps in around 5 seconds on a mid level Nvidia 560Ti. When loading a Heightmap directly, all other maps are generated instantly and automatically.
Real-time?

Once you integrate your source texture, all the controls in Knald are real-time, meaning that you can iterate quickly and control the exact look+feel of your textures without waiting for your PC to bake and catch up with you.

Here is an Introduction Video to Knald

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Wow. I just found out that my 560Ti is a mid level card. How cool is that?!!! :)

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited April 2013

https://www.knaldtech.com/
    Get Knald
    Create account
    Download the beta

Post edited by 3drendero on
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Wow. I just found out that my 560Ti is a mid level card. How cool is that?!!! :)

I only have a 550 Ti. I'd love to boost that way up and get some fire-breathing GPU rendering power going in LightWave.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Gastor Octane Render does GPU and has a LightWave plugin. It has been getting good reviews on the NewTek forums.

I'm trying out Knald and noticing it crashes heavily. Ihad to update my video drivers for it to work, and my drivers were updated a few weeks ago.. On a couple of other forums I was looking a several others are reporting the program crashes often.

Garstor said:

I only have a 550 Ti. I'd love to boost that way up and get some fire-breathing GPU rendering power going in LightWave.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

This looks interesting. It looks like it has more features then Crazybump but is also more complex. The instability isn't unexpected considering it's using OpenCL with what appears to be some pretty advanced algorithms and is in Beta.