More pdf tutorials!

While I'd like to improve the quality of my art, most of the available tutorials, including the free 'Great Art Now' ones, are in video format.  For me, this is a problem, since video tutorials almost inevitably end up confusing me.  I'm just not any good at following them, and pdf tutorials with images allow me to go at my own speed, not to mention my reading comprehension is much better than listening.  I'm sure there are other people with similar problems with video tutorials.  So, I'd love to see more art tutorials in pdf format.

Comments

• I second this as a non English speaker myself.. Following quick voiced video is way too hard for me if it is non-UK speed.. I mean American video are way too fast for me. Lol.
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378

Cowrie and Atanacious make a couple of excelent points.

I watched a video on posing once.  It wizzed through things far too fast for me to follow and I had problems seeing what was going on due to the resolution of the video.

We definitely need more PDF tutorials.

Cheers,

Alex.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

+1

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I just started doing pdf tutorials for my patrons on Patreon. They've liked them and had suggested I sell them. I'd certainly consider it, though I don't pretend to be an "expert." I do enjoy sharing what I learn, and I love to document things. 

Any topics in particular that you're interested in seeing? 

For me, anything that can help learn how to create high quality DAZ Studio content in Blender.

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856
    edited November 2017
    Inkubo said:

For me, anything that can help learn how to create high quality DAZ Studio content in Blender.

A tutorial on how to use blender, or more advanced content like cloth/water simulation, and creating morphs for existing characters?

Post edited by BradCarsten on
    edited November 2017

Sorry, not a blender guru. Their community is known for their documentation. Have you checked out what they have up? There are also some free and very inexpensive courses on Blender over at Udemy.

Post edited by Llynara on

@bradrg, not how to use Blender, per se, but how to use Blender to create salable content for DAZ Studio.

@Llynara, if Blender's not you're thing, that's cool. I'm not being argumentative or trying to convince you that you should write tutorials on a particular topic you don't enjoy. But there is a good reason for customers to seek out Blender-to-DS training here... There are great tutorials and Udemy courses about how to do stuff for Blender in Blender, and also about exporting to game engines like Unity. But skills learned there don't necessarily translate perfectly to DS. There may be design and construction considerations for DS, and as far as I know (although I'd love learn I'm wrong), you have to use DAZ Studio to rig the models for DS, rather than rigging in Blender and having things just work in DS.

Sounds like a great opportunity for the right person! I wish I was that person. I've opened it once a while back and was lost in it. Learning modeling is on my "to do" list, just haven't made it that far yet, LOL. 

• Llynara said:

I just started doing pdf tutorials for my patrons on Patreon. They've liked them and had suggested I sell them. I'd certainly consider it, though I don't pretend to be an "expert." I do enjoy sharing what I learn, and I love to document things. 

Any topics in particular that you're interested in seeing? 

What about tutorials on:

- Hexagon -- as it came alive again !
    - Texturing clothes in some other software that aren't Photoshop, like (why not but not limited to): the Gimp or Paint Shop Pro
    - Scripting (that's a bit more difficult since you need carefully know the Scripting API for DAZ Content Interface....)

• pdf tutorials are comfortable, like i can load them on ipad while working in daz on pc

• Dave63Dave63 Posts: 49

pdf tutorials are comfortable, like i can load them on ipad while working in daz on pc

Or when working offline. No resource demands or distractions from the web. I wonder how difficult it would really be to make the "Write to PDF" button on the Daz Documentation wiki-- recognise linked to pages and write an entirely localized set, so that all links in the document have presence in the PDF, and could be saved then viewed on a device without web access.

I would think that a "gather linked docs" function would be present in almost any pdf conversion utility. Could just be ticking a box. Wonder if anyone at Daz has looked twice at that tool since they set up the wiki?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    dweomer said:

I wonder how difficult it would really be to make the "Write to PDF" button on the Daz Documentation wiki-- recognise linked to pages and write an entirely localized set, so that all links in the document have presence in the PDF, and could be saved then viewed on a device without web access.

I would think that a "gather linked docs" function would be present in almost any pdf conversion utility. Could just be ticking a box. Wonder if anyone at Daz has looked twice at that tool since they set up the wiki?

I briefly tried a utility that that tries to recursively follow links and copy the entire webpage structure to build a "manual" from what was available on the documentation page link for DS to try to freeze what was available for 4.8, but wasn't able to get it to work correctly.  It looked like it might be possible, I just didn't have the knowledge to do it and didn't want to spend an insane amount of time on it.  Perhaps if there is no easier way, somebody else could suggest settings to make that work?