Problem with exported .mtl and 2 identical sets of geometry

I've run into some problems when exporting certain figures as .obj for use in 3DS Max. This has happened only with certain earing sets, duplicate objects in a scene, or a certain geographted breast modification for GF8. When the .mtl is written, it will include one set of surfaces but not the identical one. So I end up with an obj that the a complete mesh of the origional daz scene, but a .mtl that leaves those duplicate parts out. I've tried different export settings, including all the options for "write groups". Is there something else I should be doing? It seems like the problem is on the Daz end, not the 3DS Max import settings, but I'm not positive since I don't know much about UVs. Thanks.

Comments

• Groups are not related to surface settings, at one stage in 3DSMax they were separate mesh items (which made some kinds of content creation hard) but I don't knoww hat they represent now.

The Surfaces are the section that affects materials, and there doesn't seem to be a way to add node names or the like to those in the OBJ export settings. You can rename the surfaces in DS, however - select the models with the fewst surfaces one by one, open the Tool settings pane, switch to the Geometry Editor tool and go through the Surface list in the Tool Settings pane double-clicking each and adding soemthing to its name (e.g. an abbreviation for the prt it belongs to). Once done export and you should find that the modified names are preseved and make each piece unique.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,055
    edited November 2017

the latest build of DAZ studio has an obj export issue, a few people (not me) have submitted bug reports.

add yours enlightened

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Groups are not related to surface settings, at one stage in 3DSMax they were separate mesh items (which made some kinds of content creation hard) but I don't knoww hat they represent now.

The Surfaces are the section that affects materials, and there doesn't seem to be a way to add node names or the like to those in the OBJ export settings. You can rename the surfaces in DS, however - select the models with the fewst surfaces one by one, open the Tool settings pane, switch to the Geometry Editor tool and go through the Surface list in the Tool Settings pane double-clicking each and adding soemthing to its name (e.g. an abbreviation for the prt it belongs to). Once done export and you should find that the modified names are preseved and make each piece unique.

Thank you so much Richard, this worked perfectly!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449
    edited November 2017

You may be interested in the latest entry in the Change Log:

Fixed an OBJ export issue when more than one object used the same material name

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#private_build_channel

I don't know if that refers to the issue you are having, of course.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • The OBJ export issue has been fixed. Please see this post for more information

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203076/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-10-0-118-updated/p1