OT: GTX 1070 Weirdness

Now that was strange....

I'm going along on my main desktop (Ryzen 7 1700 with GTX 1080ti and GTX 1070), minding my business, just some web browsing and MS Word stuff, and suddenly all 3 monitors go black. They're all being fed from the GTX 1070. Computer still running, lights on, disk activity, but no monitors. So I tried the Windows reboot, but still nothing. 

So I decide to move my monitors to the 1080ti, fire it up, and voila, all is well. And to make sure the 1070 is still alive, I run the iray benchmark scene in Studio to see if I get the 1080ti plus 1070 result of 1 minute. And surprisingly I do. GPU-Z shows all is well on both cards. 

Maybe the display module on the 1070 died. No updates going on that I could notice, other than the Fall Update a few days ago. Weird.

Anyone have any ideas? Right now the 1070 GPU temp is 33C and fans spinning at 1100 rpm. Pretty normal. Maybe if I'm feeling lucky I'll try to see about getting the latest NVIDIA drivers, though even the thought of that gives me shivers. 

Comments

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Wow, now this is even stranger....

I plugged a 4th monitor into one of the HDMI's on the GTX 1070 and now it's working fine. It even extends my desktop onto the 4th monitor. 

Maybe the GTX 1070 just sneezed or something.

Weird.  

edited November 2017

Aha !! I went into the W10 Security and Maintenance/Reliability Monitor, and it said I had a hardware failure that caused Windows to stop working correctly. The Event Name is "LiveKernelEvent". 

And that's what I've always loved about Microsoft and Windows. Never once in the decades I've used Windows has it ever figure out and told me what the real problem is. Unbelievable. 

Error1.png
    474 x 309 - 18K
    Post edited by ebergerly on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I had to turn off sleep on my HP8470P laptop when I render because the monitors would be put to sleep but I couldn't wake them. I had wanted to use sleep to allow my computer to completely cool once every day. It only happens when running a DAZ Studio render that was lasting longer than the time frame (5 hours) I set for the computer to go to sleep if it wasn't doing anything. The computer wasn't asleep, I could loudly hear the render was still running but the monitors just wouldn't wake. I had to do a cold poweroff and cold boot to get the computer functional. It might happen for other activities, example, baking light in a Unity scene, but I haven't done those activities since getting my laptop.

Looks like it was a driver issue. My system history says a new set of drivers were installed about 45 min before I posted this thread. Now all is well. 

I hate drivers. I hate them very much. I've always hated them and I always will hate them. I can never understand how it can be so incredibly difficult for the software guys at NVIDIA to produce drivers that work and don't mess everything up. It's beyond my comprehension, after all these decades, who it can still be such a mess. 

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

How do you know it was Nvidia? The drivers auto installed by Win 10 aren't the same as the current Nvidia drivers, FWIW, running GeForce Experience and letting it auto-install drivers is also not the best idea.

fastbike1 said:

How do you know it was Nvidia? The drivers auto installed by Win 10 aren't the same as the current Nvidia drivers, FWIW, running GeForce Experience and letting it auto-install drivers is also not the best idea.

I just assumed when it said it installed the latest drivers for the 1080ti and 1070 they were NVIDIA drivers. I have GeForce Experience installed but never initialized it to do the auto updates. Because, as you said, it's not the best idea smiley

• wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572

You should always use the GeForce experience or go straight to Nvidia to get drivers.  Also, always do a clean install--it is an option.

Scott

wsgentry said:

You should always use the GeForce experience or go straight to Nvidia to get drivers.  Also, always do a clean install--it is an option.

Scott

Yeah, that's the other thing I hate about NVIDIA. When I bought my GTX 1070 I installed it along side an older GPU, and my computer went nuts. And according to the NVIDIA forums they said I needed to completely remove ALL traces of NVIDIA drivers using an non-NVIDIA app that caused my virus detection to block it. A whole bunch of steps, relying on a non-NVIDIA app (I can't believe they can't provide their own app), just to get the drivers straight. 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,881
    ebergerly said:

Aha !! I went into the W10 Security and Maintenance/Reliability Monitor, and it said I had a hardware failure that caused Windows to stop working correctly. The Event Name is "LiveKernelEvent". 

And that's what I've always loved about Microsoft and Windows. Never once in the decades I've used Windows has it ever figure out and told me what the real problem is. Unbelievable. 

"Something happened".

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,135
    ebergerly said:

Looks like it was a driver issue. My system history says a new set of drivers were installed about 45 min before I posted this thread. Now all is well. 

I hate drivers. I hate them very much. I've always hated them and I always will hate them. I can never understand how it can be so incredibly difficult for the software guys at NVIDIA to produce drivers that work and don't mess everything up. It's beyond my comprehension, after all these decades, who it can still be such a mess. 

While I do totally agree with you on how annoying drivers are, part of the problem is there are so many possible combinations of hardware and software there is no way to test a driver to be sure it is 100% stable and compatible in every possible configuration. And when you factor in how intrusive and overbearing antiviral programs and windows itself, it's not surprising that there are driver issues. That being said, some companies could stand to do better testing than they do. And Microsoft definitely does not use standard Nvidia drivers with their updates, I can think of at least twice that a Microsoft update broke most Nvidia cards.
    ebergerly said:
    wsgentry said:

Scott

Yeah, that's the other thing I hate about NVIDIA. When I bought my GTX 1070 I installed it along side an older GPU, and my computer went nuts. And according to the NVIDIA forums they said I needed to completely remove ALL traces of NVIDIA drivers using an non-NVIDIA app that caused my virus detection to block it. A whole bunch of steps, relying on a non-NVIDIA app (I can't believe they can't provide their own app), just to get the drivers straight. 

I just use the clean install option from the driver installer.  I've never used a third party app to do it, however it doesn't surprise me that you have had to.  Which third-party app did you use?

The experts on the NVIDIA forum said the best way is Display Driver Uninstaller. I'm pretty sure that's the one. 

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Yeah, DDU is good.

I just wish I knew why NVIDIA can't make a driver uninstaller/installer for its drivers. Seems insane. Especially when so many people get virus alerts when running it, and you have to cross your fingers and believe everyone who says "oh, don't worry about that, it's fine". 

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited November 2017

Almost all uninstallers tend to leave behind so much crap. I have been using a program called windows 7 manager, it has a much better uninstaller than most made by software.

Post edited by TheKD on
    edited November 2017

Being a bit of a software developer, what I really don't understand is why each NIVIDIA GPU isn't programmed using object oriented software designs. Basically the hardware has internal software to handle the guts (which NVIDIA should be expert at writing), but anyone using the GPU accesses it through some standard interfaces and inputs and outputs. As long as you follow the rules for accessing the standard interfaces, there should be little problem. Then each GPU technology that comes out uses the same, or similar standard interfaces, so the software that uses the GPU has little or no changes. You write to VRAM using these specific functions, and that's it.   

Post edited by ebergerly on

Thanks for the info on DDU. It seems like it's updated frequently so I've gotten the most current. Thanks again.

Scott

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941
    edited November 2017
    ebergerly said:

..and this is why I won't have W10 on any system I own as it just does what it wants.  The only times I had BSOD issues on my current system was because I downloaded and installed a buggy video driver update via Windows Update.  When that happened, I would go to the Nvida site roll back to the previous one, and everything was fine again.  This is why I had updating set to manual with a reminder rather than automatic (something W10 doesn't allow you to do unless you have the Enterprise edition).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,881
    edited November 2017
    kyoto kid said:
    ebergerly said:

..and this is why I won't have W10 on any system I own as it just does what it wants.  The only times I had BSOD issues on my current system was because I downloaded and installed a buggy video driver update via Windows Update.  When that happened, I would go to the Nvida site roll back to the previous one, and everything was fine again.  This is why I had updating set to manual with a reminder rather than automatic (something W10 doesn't allow you to do unless you have the Enterprise edition).

Actually you can configure windows 10 updates in many ways, including disabling driver updates

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

win10_enable_no_driver_updates.jpg
    1113 x 675 - 330K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941

...yeah, but unlike its predecessors, it's "all or nothing", there is no more picking and choosing which individual updates to install and which ones to hide. 

egads the forum spell check is acting like an old lawnmower again, have to keep pulling the lanyard until it kicks in. Tried it a dozen times but it won't fire up,.maybe the mixture's too lean.