Teen/Pre-teens for other ethnicities

The diversity Daz has shown in the new Gen 8 figures right off the bat without having to wait months is comendable, but something Daz has seemed to lack even going back to the early Genesis figures are no teen or pre-teen characters for other ethnicities.  (I'm not talking about The Kids, or highly stylized figures so don't direct me to those)  I mean Black or Asian characters along the lines of Josie, Lola's son, or Amber as example.

Comments

• I don't think DAZ itself ever has; if there have been in the past, it's almost always been PAs doing them, and most PAs don't seem to be interested in doing child characters that aren't somewhat stylized.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    edited November 2017

Use one (or more) of Zev0's "Growing Up" morphs ( https://www.daz3d.com/zev0 ) on an adult ethnic character. That's what I do. It does not work on every character, depending on how extremely you dial the morph, but the results can be pretty good.

I recently needed a Japanese teen for a scene, and I came up with this, based on Mei Lin 7 (and other morphs, Princess Leila skin, hair from Little Ones character):

Tomako.png
    446 x 653 - 164K
    TomakoHead.png
    446 x 653 - 280K
    Post edited by frankrblow on
  • Do you have Growing Up? I've always done this sort of thing by starting with the adult character, then dialling the body morph down a bit and applying the appropriate Growing Up age preset. (The dialling down is to reduce the "adult" look of the body.) I've discovered that some character body morphs don't play nice with the Growing Up body morphs, especially the female ones or anything with lots of muscles, so you might need to almost or completely remove the character body. You might also need to do a lot of tweaking with the various individual Growing Up morphs if there are any weird wrinkles and glitches left over.

Note that G8 only has the female Growing Up so far, the male one isn't out yet, but it's expected soon.

(That's real soon, not DAZ Soon™...)

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2017

I own the Growing UP for Gen 3, and have used it, but because of convenience I find that I will generally just use Princess Leila, Josie, Amber, or even Skyler when it comes down to it.  I just thought it would be cool if that convenience was offered for creators who wish to do scenes set in other places, or not using the usual suspects.  

I've also found out that there are less problems morphing a youthful character to a younger age, than an older character to a youthful state, another reason a teen character would be helpful.

Maybe someone will do a tutorial on the best methods to use the Growing up plug-ins, because right now it's trial and error, and time is not something all of us have to devote to figuring things out when people have already figured out ways to get optimal results.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • I own the Growing UP for Gen 3, and have used it, but because of convenience I find that I will generally just use Princess Leila, Josie, Amber, or even Skyler when it comes down to it.  I just thought it would be cool if that convenience was offered for creators who wish to do scenes set in other places, or not using the usual suspects.  

I've also found out that there are less problems morphing a youthful character to a younger age, than an older character to a youthful state, another reason a teen character would be helpful.

Maybe someone will do a tutorial on the best methods to use the Growing up plug-ins, because right now it's trial and error, and time is not something all of us have to devote to figuring things out when people have already figured out ways to get optimal results.

As SpottedKitty points out, dialing down the body morph for lets say Victoria 7 to where what is left is essentially Genesis 3Female with the Victoria 7 scaling and face morph applied is the best option if you want to create a teen or younger from a DAZ Original figure. Select her in the scene tab (or in the viewport), then select Currently Used in the Parameters tab to see what dials are available for adjustment.