Ideas for getting rid of the footstool in front of the throne in Mick Great Hall - Resolved

Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,148
edited November 2017 in The Commons

I have the Mick Great Hall and am trying to use the throne (see second to last promo).  I've got my character seated comfortably, but his foot goes throught the foot stool to touch the floor.  I don't want his knees up higher, which is what would be required to rest his foot on the foot stool.  If I do that, he looks funny with his knee so high.  Increasing the y scale of the throne also didn't look right (when I tried to make the foot stool lower).  I couldn't see a way of turning off the foot stool.  Does anyone know how I might be able to get rid of it for my scene, short of using photoshop?

Thanks in a advance.  I'll be away for several hours, and will check back.  :)

Post edited by Worlds_Edge on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

You could try using the geometry editor to select just the footstool polys, create a new material zone for them and then turn the opacity all the way down. not sure what would show under it, but worth a try.

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,052

Can you use the Surface Tool and select, one by one, the surfaces of the footstool, and using the opacity slider, make them "zero" instead of 100%?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Should there be a resulting hole or similar in the floor for some reason after using the geometry editor, you could also use a single primitive just a hair above the floor as a tile, rug, or taller as a step if appropriate to cover any flaw.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

@Worlds_Edge, I'm looking at it right now. First, there is a complete rug under the stool, no holes to worry about. Second, you will need to use the Geometry Editor to select the parts of the stool as at least the base is part of a larger material zone. Don't panic, it's really easy.

• Make the Geometry Editor Tool active. From the main menu, select Tools->Geometry Editor, (or Alt+Shift+G)
    • Open the Tool Settings tab. From the main menu, select Windows-> Panes (Tabs)->Tool Settings.
    • In the Scene tab, select the Throne.
    • Zoom in close to the stool and hover your cursor over it. Does it look like a red circle? If not
      • Right-click in the viewport and choose Selection Mode-> Drag Selection.
    • With Drag Selection mode active, click on the stool cushion and select one or more polys.
    • Right-click in the viewport and select Geometry Selection->Select Connected, (or Ctrl+*)
    • Right-Click in the viewport.
    • Select Geometry Assignment->Create Selection Set from Selected…
    • Name your new Selection Set in the popup dialog, (I named mine Stool.)
    • Click on the "eye" icon for your new stool Selection Set.
    • Click on the group name Selection Sets
    • Position the set so the legs of the stool are all four accessible.
    • Click on one of the four stool legs.
    • Ctrl+click on each of the other three legs.
    • Right-click in the viewport and select Geometry Selection->Select Connected, (or Ctrl+*)
    • Right-Click in the viewport.
    • Select Geometry Assignment->Assign to Selection Set->Stool
    • Click on the "eye" icon for your new stool Selection Set.
    • Click on the group name Selection Sets

It took me longer to write this up than it did to do it. The advantage to using Selection Sets is they don't alter your material zones, and they are much faster to do. Also, the mesh is effectively gone, so it helps a bit with render times, too. The disadvantage is anything hidden via the Geometry Tool is reset to "visible" when you reopen the file.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited November 2017

If the foot stool has surfaces by itself you can dial the cutout opacity slider in the surfaces for the foot stool from 1 down to 0 & it will be invisble.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited November 2017

If the foot stool has surfaces by itself you can dial the cutout opacity slider in the surfaces for the foot stool from 1 down to 0 & it will be invisble.

I already checked, nonesuch00. The pillow of the stool can be hidden via the Fabric material zone, but the wood base is part of two material zones encompasing the bulk of the wood of the prop.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,148

Thanks everyone!

The stool does not have separate surfaces that can be turned off (or opacity lowered).  Using geometry editor did the trick!  Thanks for the advice, and @l'dair - thank you so much for the step by step.  This was my first time using the geometry editor, though I've heard it mentioned before.  You're right, it was not difficult at all.  Thanks to all of you guys, I'm starting to get "brave" and try stuff, lol

Based on what you said, if I save the scene as a subset to keep working on it, the footstool will reappear next time I open the scene.  That's too bad BUT, on the bright side, it means I'll get to practice the steps again.

Anyway, I'm thrilled with the solution!

Thanks everyone!

The stool does not have separate surfaces that can be turned off (or opacity lowered).  Using geometry editor did the trick!  Thanks for the advice, and @l'dair - thank you so much for the step by step.  This was my first time using the geometry editor, though I've heard it mentioned before.  You're right, it was not difficult at all.  Thanks to all of you guys, I'm starting to get "brave" and try stuff, lol

Based on what you said, if I save the scene as a subset to keep working on it, the footstool will reappear next time I open the scene.  That's too bad BUT, on the bright side, it means I'll get to practice the steps again.

Anyway, I'm thrilled with the solution!

No, no, no. You don't have to do it all again. surprise

The Selection Sets will be saved with the file. The stool will be visible when you reopen, but all you will need to do is click on the "eye" icon for the stool Selection Set to hide it again. (Make the Geometry Editor Tool active and open Tool Settings to access the Selection Sets.)
    smiley

Ahhhh, even better!  Thank you!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    L'Adair said:

I already checked, nonesuch00. The pillow of the stool can be hidden via the Fabric material zone, but the wood base is part of two material zones encompasing the bulk of the wood of the prop.

Oh, thanks!

L'Adair said:

Oh, thanks!

You're welcome. There are a lot of material zones for that prop. I can see why Faveral didn't break everything up by item within the prop! Geometry Editor Tool to the rescue! The more I learn about using that tool, the more I love it.

I just got rid of the posts in front of the throne!  Thanks again for teaching me this great trick/tool :)

I just got rid of the posts in front of the throne!  Thanks again for teaching me this great trick/tool :)

You're welcome.
    smiley