Morph converter gen3 to Gen8

Hi all!

I'm having some issues with the morph converter to convert G3 morphs to G8. All morphs I convert, apply fine, only they also distort the navel area of the G8 figure. How do I counteract that?

Thanks a lot,

Me

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited November 2017

In another thread by divemakeup she posted between the +++++ signs:

+++++

Ok it can be a bit complicated the first time you use it. I'll try and explain it as best as I can:
    First load a fresh Genesis 8 Female and with her selected go to Smart Content >> Utilities and find the "Genesis 8 Female HeadSplit DFormer". Double click on it to apply it. 
    Then to go to the Scene Tab and, with G8F selected, go to Assets >> Morph Loader Pro. Click on "Choose Morph Files" and navigate to where your morph is and select it - but don't hit accept yet. Once your Morph is selected in the Morph Loader Pro window, click on the little arrow to the left of it to expand it's options. 
    Then go down to where is says "Attenuate By:" and right click on "none" then Select Weight Maps >> D-Former_1 >> Influence Maps:

If you leave the Strength at "1" it will load just the head portion of the morph. If you set it to "-1" it will load just the body portion of the morph.
    Hit accept then the morph will be under Parameters >> Morphs.
    You'll need to do the process twice - once for the head and once for the body. 
    You should then be able to save the morphs as File >> Save As >> Support Asset >> Morph Asset(s).

+++++

I tried to find the specific comment in the very long thread in this forum The Commons section for transferring G3 morphs to G8 but couldn't, at least not without rereading the whole thread which I'm not going to do.

But I did save it earlier and so here it is posted above and attached below is the screen shot she made illustrating the tool. Thank @divamakeup and others for this tip.

By the way, the tool is a preset for the G8 called headsplit dformer I think.

head_split_dformer_by_divamakeup-dbloiyz.jpg
    528 x 588 - 51K
    Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Hi! Thanks for the reply! It didn't work though... I tried to copy some morphs for hands and feet, but even using this method, the "bellybutton" still opens up to a gaping hole when I dial in the morphs to change the hands or the feet...

I did read in the instructions that "mesh smoothing" should be turned off. I did not find that setting however. If this could be the cause, where do I find the "mesh smooting" setting for both G3 and G8?

Thanks a lot,

Me

edited November 2017

Hi! Thanks for the reply! It didn't work though... I tried to copy some morphs for hands and feet, but even using this method, the "bellybutton" still opens up to a gaping hole when I dial in the morphs to change the hands or the feet...

I did read in the instructions that "mesh smoothing" should be turned off. I did not find that setting however. If this could be the cause, where do I find the "mesh smooting" setting for both G3 and G8?

Thanks a lot,

Me

Oh, sorry I was only thinking of head morphs. It won't work for morphs on the body except as a whole. Try setting it to negative -1 instead of 1 and it will do the body only and not the head.

Other thing is by default Genesis 3 male & female actually has belly button morph dialed in, dial that morph out, then do the morph transfer.

DAZ 3D would be nice extend their head split dformers and make it so that there is such split deformers for each hand, each foot, each leg, each arm, and I think that's it. Maybe fingers & toes? Ears? Eyes? Teeth and mouth. Not sure how often problems are encountered.  

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • gibrril_fa945a6ceegibrril_fa945a6cee Posts: 540
    edited November 2017

Hi!

Thanks again for the reply! Do you know what that belly button morph is called? I've been searching high and low, but I haven't found it... All the belly button or navel morphs I have found, were dialed out allready... (set to 0%)

Thanks a lot,

Me

Post edited by gibrril_fa945a6cee on

Hi!

Thanks again for the reply! Do you know what that belly button morph is called? I've been searching high and low, but I haven't found it... All the belly button or navel morphs I have found, were dialed out allready...

Thanks a lot,

Me

It's called navel

• Thanks for that!!! I didn't see it because I was looking for white values amongst the grayed out ones, but this one is grayed out when set at 100%.

Will give it a new try!!!

Thanks a lot,

Me

• Thanks again!!! That solved it!!!

• Genesis 3 has 3 morphs (yes 3) that are default at 100%. On Genesis 8 the corresponding morphs are default to zero.

Before you export/transfer shapes from Genesis 3, always right click the properties tab and Zero > Zero figure.

If your morph work depends on mesh resolution being set to base and sub division set to 0, do this after, as the Zero command might set mesh resolution to High.

Very important: Zero, not Restore. Restore will turn those morphs on (restore sets everyting to its start value, Zero set everything to zero).

your welcome

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    edited November 2017

+++++

Ok it can be a bit complicated the first time you use it. I'll try and explain it as best as I can:
    First load a fresh Genesis 8 Female and with her selected go to Smart Content >> Utilities and find the "Genesis 8 Female HeadSplit DFormer". Double click on it to apply it. 
    Then to go to the Scene Tab and, with G8F selected, go to Assets >> Morph Loader Pro. Click on "Choose Morph Files" and navigate to where your morph is and select it - but don't hit accept yet. Once your Morph is selected in the Morph Loader Pro window, click on the little arrow to the left of it to expand it's options. 
    Then go down to where is says "Attenuate By:" and right click on "none" then Select Weight Maps >> D-Former_1 >> Influence Maps:

If you leave the Strength at "1" it will load just the head portion of the morph. If you set it to "-1" it will load just the body portion of the morph.
    You should then be able to save the morphs as File >> Save As >> Support Asset >> Morph Asset(s).

+++++

I tried to find the specific comment in the very long thread in this forum The Commons section for transferring G3 morphs to G8 but couldn't, at least not without rereading the whole thread which I'm not going to do.

But I did save it earlier and so here it is posted above and attached below is the screen shot she made illustrating the tool. Thank @divamakeup and others for this tip.

My post and instructions were talking about how to separate a full body morph into separate head morphs and body morphs only. I'm not sure how you got the idea it was talking about fixing navel issues. lol :P

But thanks for the shout out~! heart

Post edited by 3Diva on

+++++

+++++

My post and instructions were talking about how to separate a full body morph into separate head morphs and body morphs only. I'm not sure how you got the idea it was talking about fixing navel issues. lol :P

But thanks for the shout out~! heart

I assumed the OP was doing something comparitively simple like transferring head morphs. DAZ 3D should extend this splitter dformers to include hands, feet, and such...if it's technically reasonable.  

• Genesis 3 has 3 morphs (yes 3) that are default at 100%. On Genesis 8 the corresponding morphs are default to zero.

Before you export/transfer shapes from Genesis 3, always right click the properties tab and Zero > Zero figure.

If your morph work depends on mesh resolution being set to base and sub division set to 0, do this after, as the Zero command might set mesh resolution to High.

Very important: Zero, not Restore. Restore will turn those morphs on (restore sets everyting to its start value, Zero set everything to zero).

Thanks for all the awesome replies!!! Which three morphs are these? I allready found one, the navel :)

Thanks a lot,

Me

There is navel, lips HD, and the other I don't know.

• I found a thread mentioning Mouth Realsim HD as another morph that is set to 100% by default. Was that it?

Thanks a lot,

Me

I found a thread mentioning Mouth Realsim HD as another morph that is set to 100% by default. Was that it?

Thanks a lot,

Me

That's the one I meant by Lips HD although the 3rd one is also an HD Realism morph I think.

• Are we sure there's three? I did find another thread stating only these two as default at 100%.

Yet Singular Blues was very clear about there being three... Does anybody know the third one?

Thanks a lot,

Me

Not me. 

• Hi!

Other question: I set up a G3 figure just the way I wanted and then exported that as an OBJ to get one character morph of it to use on G8. It worked just fine, loading it onto a standard G8 figure, but when I reopened the scene today, it came up all wrong: the G8 figure was utterly distorted and the hair, brows and lashes didn't line up anymore (all of them were about 15 cm to low)... When I dialed in the moprh the first time, right after creating it, I had to use the Joint Editor tool and the "adapt rigging to shape" option to get the figure to pose correctly, but re-using that option today did not fix the problem... Anyone else run into this issue when using G3 morphs on G8?

Thanks a lot,

Me

• Hi again!

I did some more tests using characters based on G3 and transfering these as one big character morph to G8. It would appear that anytime you use a morph that changes the height of the figure, DAZ Studio can't reconstruct once you reload the saved scene: The G8 figure always loads with eyebrows, lashes and hair as if the transfered morph was not applied, causing all these items to be mis alligned. However, if you dial the morph back out, the G8 figure does line up with the lashes, brows and hair... Is there any way to fix this issue? Also I saw a distortion around the eyes that I can't fix... Could it be that the third morph using a default of 100% has something to do with the eyes?

Thanks a lot,

Me

• gibrril_fa945a6ceegibrril_fa945a6cee Posts: 540
    edited November 2017

Hi again!

The problem with the morph not being taken into account when reopening a saved scene continues... Now this might be a stretch, but these transefered morphs are listed under morphs, and then under morphloader pro, not under the "actor" tab where all the other morphs are... Is that why conforming items don't follow these morphs? If so, how do you get these imported morphs from the morph loader pro tool under the actor tab so I can dial them in from there?

Thanks a lot,

Me

Post edited by gibrril_fa945a6cee on