Any buddy Know which is better? Computer help!?

IronguyIronguy Posts: 10
edited November 2017 in Daz Studio Discussion

I'm looking at two different types of computers. One with AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 16 core with dual  NVIDIA  Geforce GTX 1080 Or One with Intel I9 with 10 core with Dual Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1080s. Both will also have 32 gigs of ram.

Does anyone know which one will be faster for Iray and maybe reality renders?

Post edited by Ironguy on

Comments

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

For Iray you won't notice much difference as both include two 1080s, but for other tasks you'll notice far more speed on AMD one as it has more cores, 16 vs 10.

• Thanks for the reply. 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,920
    edited November 2017

I got away from AMD. I found it is much slower and benchmarks pretty low compared to Intel. AMD does run cooler than the Intel's do, but if you have a good cooling system then it is more than fine. Intel's are also more expensive than an AMD is. In my opinion the big reason I like Intel's is it is more upgradable than a AMD is. AMD you are limited on how much RAM you can get. I'm not positive if you can get 64GB of RAM with AMD's, idk, I havne't looked in a long time, but an Intel you can go up to 120GB of RAM. Another thing you want to keep in mind is the amount of RAM you have. I would suggest at least 12GB of RAM. The more you have the better. I suggest looking at benchmarks to determine which AMD or Intel you want. The higher the benchmark the better.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • I would love to get a computer with intel core i9 7980xe with dual  NVIDIA  Geforce GTX 1080 and 32 gigs of ram but I haven't found a site that sells them or maybe Im just not looking in the right place.

If any one knows a good online store that sells a computer like that, it would be nice to know.

• Or what would be better a Intel i9-7960X 16 core with single NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti or i9 with only 10 cores and dual Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 for Iray rendering speed?

• depending on your budget..   dual processor machines... xeons.. because of RAM...
    ---
    my old machine was a i7 920 but that was a series they played with triple channel memory.. so it had 6 slots but the limitation for that processor was only seeing 4 gig sticks.. so it's max was 24 and I pushed it a lot...
    ---
    when I went to check new machines..  they see 8g sticks.. but generally only have 4 memory slots...
    ---
    I got an asus workstation board..  space for dual xeons..  xeons see up to 64g ram sticks...and the mobo has 16 slots .. 8 per processor
    --
    I was going to start with just one processor at $800 but found a pair of used ones on ebay for $350 each and figured my old i7s have been chugging for five years.. "
    and if buy 2 and one should die ... I"m still ahead money wise... 
    two years later .. both going fine... I bought 4 16 gig sticks and so have 64..  so I can render (use a program so daz can't use more than 75% of the cpu power and can do lots of other stuff while rendering.. 
    ----
    I was able to build my own and had a case and power supply... 
    so my cost was about $2000... mobo 400 two 2630v3s 700 64 gigs ram 400 and 980ti 600 or so...
    ---
    with my 24 gig machine ..  the system used 2 the program with models 20 and windows was not happy with only having two gigs spare ram.. but as long as I kept telling it not to shut down programs to save memory (come on microsoft .. there's only one program running) I go do a big render...
    ---
    now even with a 40 gig daz scene I keep going...
    ---
    it may be some of the new processors also see the larger ram sticks.. or it many only be xeons that do... 

• If Iray is the only thing you do to push your system then the CPUs are probably overkill, unless you tend to run out of RAM in the GPU. You may do better, depending on scene size, stepping back on the CPU and perhaps making one of the GPUs a 1080 Ti (11GB instead of 8GB) - assuming you don't want to be able to play games and so need SLI.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited November 2017
    frank0314 said:

I got away from AMD. I found it is much slower and benchmarks pretty low compared to Intel. AMD does run cooler than the Intel's do, but if you have a good cooling system then it is more than fine. Intel's are also more expensive than an AMD is. In my opinion the big reason I like Intel's is it is more upgradable than a AMD is. AMD you are limited on how much RAM you can get. I'm not positive if you can get 64GB of RAM with AMD's, idk, I havne't looked in a long time, but an Intel you can go up to 120GB of RAM. Another thing you want to keep in mind is the amount of RAM you have. I would suggest at least 12GB of RAM. The more you have the better. I suggest looking at benchmarks to determine which AMD or Intel you want. The higher the benchmark the better.

I have 64BG with a Threadripper, and could have got more - subject to cash. :)

On scenes that wont fit on the card, it does a decent job (timewise), obviously they look the same no matter the render method.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • ram... that's why I suggest xeons.. they will see 64 gig sticks...  pricey but even with four slots that's 256....
    --
    the dual board I got .. which will start with one processor has 8 slots per processor...
    ---
    even with 16g ram sticks.. I can run 256g...  or a terabyte... with 64s
    ---
    and the renders on the processors only run about 20% longer than the ones on the card....
    ---

• FYI, Threadripper supports 2 Terabytes of RAM. Motherboards currently support 128GB Quad channel RAM with 8 memory slots (try to fill them 4 at a time... iow, buy 4 sticks, not 2). Another consideration is that TR has 64 PCIe 3.0 lanes. The first two video cards would use the full 16 lanes each. The third and fourth cards (if you use all 4 slots) would use 8 lanes each. The rest of the PCIe lanes are used for m.2 storage and other expansion slots.

I suggest Threadripper. Save yourself some money (it's on sale right now) and have tons of room for expandability.

As to which is faster, Threadripper is faster than an i9-7900X (10 cores) by up to 30%. In some cases, 38% faster. See here:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review/8

For single core performance, I'm betting the 7900X is slightly better.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,130
    edited November 2017

the treadrippers are faster than my current 2630v3 .. but a little while ago I passed up (do to financial restraints) buying 2 2690 v3s at $300 each... 
    ---
    in single mode they rate a little lower than the treadrippers.. but while I sse a big difference in the chips that are around 20000 compared to the 27000 at the top.. 
    I figure most of them that are within 10% are basically about the same...
    ---
    I don't think the TRs will fit my board any way... haven't checked to see if the xeon v4s will...  but I'm probably going to add a 1080 first anyway...
    ---
    I think ram and cards are the important things for daz.. although I need a pair of ssds.. one for the system .. and one for the daz crap...

screenshot from cpubenchmark .. thread ripper at 22K.. the 2690s at 19K 
    ---
    and actually my dual 2630s are at about 18.5K  for the pair so that's good for now..

cpus.jpg
    631 x 498 - 296K
    Post edited by alan bard newcomer on
  • I would do some research on AMD Threadripper first! I think this is a great processor but if you run games and alot of single threaded programs, these programs get stuck on the extra core on the chip. I read this online just do a online search. On multithreaded 64bit software Threadripper rocks if you use something like Hexagon or some old single thread software you will need to disable one of the cores to keep this older software stable. Good luck in your purchase.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Here's my recommendation taking into account that you are talking about a budget that can afford a Core i9 and two GTX 1080 cards:

Go for an 8 core Threadripper and two GTX 1080 ti cards.  This setup will be amazing for any GPU based rendering (Iray for example)
    If you plan on rendering complex scenes using Iray, the extra VRAM on the 1080 ti (11GB vs 8GB on the regular 1080) is what you want.

**Or if you are just carzy and have too much money, get a Nvidia Quadro P6000 with 24GB of VRAM for your graphics card.**

• When did the i9 come out I missed that one ?

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited December 2017

Personally, I think if anyone recommends a particular computer configuration without asking exactly WHAT you'll use it for is missing the mark completely.

It depends totally on what software you'll be running. If your main goal is Iray rendering with DAZ Studio, and you want renders to go as fast as possible, you'd probably be better off to focus on more powerful GPU's. Below is a summary of benchmark render results with various types of GPU's. As you can see, two 1080's render in 1.5 minutes, and two 1080ti's in 1.3 minutes. That's about a 10-15% improvement in render times. So you have to ask yourself is the cost differential (something like $200 each, for a total of $400 difference for two GPU's) worth a 10-15% improvement. 

Regarding CPU's, I've found that they are becoming far less important for many applications. In fact, my 8 core, 16 thread Ryzen 7 1700 is rarely used to its full potential. Most of my apps use, or are moving towards GPU's, not CPU's. So you have to look at your apps and see which rely on CPU's, and which rely on GPU's. Personally, from what I've seen, a Threadripper might only be useful for some video encoding/editing applications, and some engineering applications, etc, which take advantange of multiple CPU threads. Keep in mind not all tasks can be multithreaded. And GPU's can handle far more threads simultaneously, as long as it's certain types of very simple calculations. But not all developers have optimized their software for GPU's either. So be careful, because you might be wasting money on a high powered CPU when you might not need it.  

Benchmark.jpg
    382 x 431 - 40K
    Post edited by ebergerly on
  • ebergerly said:

Personally, I think if anyone recommends a particular computer configuration without asking exactly WHAT you'll use it for is missing the mark completely.

Ironguy said:

Does anyone know which one will be faster for Iray and maybe reality renders?

???

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited December 2017
    Agent unawares thats exactly my point. In some of the responses above there's lengthy discussion and recommendations on stuff like Threadrippers and Xeons and terabytes of memory and PCI lanes and so on, which all may be irrelevant and overkill as Richard said. The first question should be "what other apps are you running?", don't you think?
    Post edited by ebergerly on
  • the treadrippers are faster than my current 2630v3 .. but a little while ago I passed up (do to financial restraints) buying 2 2690 v3s at $300 each... 
    ---
    in single mode they rate a little lower than the treadrippers.. but while I sse a big difference in the chips that are around 20000 compared to the 27000 at the top.. 
    I figure most of them that are within 10% are basically about the same...
    ---
    I don't think the TRs will fit my board any way... haven't checked to see if the xeon v4s will...  but I'm probably going to add a 1080 first anyway...
    ---
    I think ram and cards are the important things for daz.. although I need a pair of ssds.. one for the system .. and one for the daz crap...

screenshot from cpubenchmark .. thread ripper at 22K.. the 2690s at 19K 

• what else do I use besides Daz .. which is the major hog of memory... etc... 
    these are all genreally open all the tine within the 64 gigs
    Photoshop... 3dmax ..multiple instances of daz... 20 windows in Chrome, a couple in firefox... Eso online... DIM youtube downloader, several word pad docs... and right now I;m at 16g of ram ussage 1% 0f cpu
    the 1050 with 3 monitors is ate 1444mb... 
    ---
    the biggest daz scene I remember doing used about 18gigs of ram .. the characters with outfits are about 2 to 3 gigs each.. 
    ----
    and if I can't use the cards the processors seem to do the render in about the same time plus 25% ...
    ---
    image below is the one I had to keep telling windows it couldn't close daz to save memory that was a 24g maching with the system and daz chewing up 22 gigs and in 3d delight... so no card. 
    have to see how much better this will long in iray

silver slipper best 01w.jpg
    1242 x 808 - 582K