Weird Surprise

Well I spent about 4 hours setting up a fascimile of the famous Norman Rockwell painting 'The Runaway'. To my surprise when I go to render it in DAZ Studio 4.10.1.118 it takes extremely long time to render even the 1st iteration. We are talking well over an hour & not 1 iteration & I ended up canceling. It seemed DAZ Studio or the computer was spinning their wheels in some sort of idele loop. It was so slow and my computer so throttled I thought my computer CPU had developed problems.

So instead I am testing another scene that is less complex in DAZ and it rendered in the normal speed. Any clues? I guess I could try composite rendering under I find the model that is causing this behaviour.

Comments

• What was in the scene? Did you try 3Delight, which might have shown if there was soemthing interfering with the view?

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

You have three characters and a number of props. Is subD high on any of them?

What video card? How much RAM in your computer. 

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Check for displacement on any of the surfaces as this will slow Iray too (because sub-d has to be set high).

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited November 2017

There is no displacement unless it's on the cook character who is G8M default texture.

Now subD I turned up to 2 in viewport and 4 on render on each character and all their clothing. I do that habitually with no problems before. I have the classic Genesis 8 Side Part hair and Supernatural Eyebrows on two of the characters.

I think the problem is this scene must be almost exactly at the boundary of my available RAM and I need to optimize for memory instead of speed in my render settings. It is so weird how my computer is completely i/o bound yet the CPU monitor shows typically less than 10% utilization on the 4 cores, reported RAM usage is low, but DAZ Studio chugs along a long long time doing practically nothing that is visible.

I will try soon to turn down the subD on each character and their clothing first. I was had no problems with on test renders with every scene element present except the clothing, hair, & upped subD on those. I want to render it now that I went to so much trouble posing it.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

OK, I created a different group for People, Lights, the Diner, Camera and put everything in them so I could turn off visibility quickly. The problem was all the subD in the clothing, especially the Law Enforcement Officer's clothing with all the attached accessories. I turned subD down to 1 & 2 and it renders now. I hadn't considered the scene any more complex than other scenes I made but I guess one day I will buy a desktop with 128GB RAM & that'll be that.

Thanks.