Rendering while using Photoshop

sarge74sarge74 Posts: 121

Had a new machine built a few months ago and I think after a Windows 10 update, somethings are running different.  

I like to render scenes for panels of a comic book while at the same time, do postwork on them in Photoshop while I wait for the render in Iray. I have scenes set up so that I get a decent render in about 20 minutes. During that time I work on the previous render in Photoshop. It was working out pretty good with little lag in photoshop until recently (after a Windows update). I noticed in my Task Manager that the lag is happening when the GPU is getting taxed while doing things like simple brush work in Photoshop during a render. The GPU goes from about %40 (during a render) to 100% (when brush painting in Photoshop) while the CPU is just at 30%. I don't know what it was doing before becasue I never experienced this lag, but I rememeber back in the day, Photoshop using CPU. Should Photoshop be using so much GPU while I got all that wonderful CPU unused that could really speed things up for me? I've search Adobe forums and I can find is how to get Photoshop to use GPU to get faster not the other way around. Is there a way to make Photoshop tap my CPU and leave my GPU alone to render Iray in Daz? Anyone have any experience in this? System specs below;

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit (10.0, Build 16299)

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

BIOS: F5

Processor Intel Core i7-7700k CPU @ 4.20 GHZ (8CPUs)

Memory: 32768MB Ram

Daz 4.9 Pro

Adobe CC 6 Photoshop

Thanks so much for any help.

Post edited by sarge74 on

Comments

• Do you mean CS 6, rather than CC 6? Edit>Preferences>Interface, there's a check-box for Use Graphics Processor.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

"make Photoshop tap my CPU and leave my GPU alone"

I can't comment on why you would only start experiencing a lag following a Windows update - but stranger things have happened. As for the quote from your post above, however, I assume you know that Photoshop, especially when using brushes, must update your display continuously in real time. Even though the CPU may be used, if your video card is also driving your display, the GPU will also be used to keep your display updated. An alternative would be to use the built-in graphics capabilities of your CPU to drive the display, while reserving the graphics card exclusively for rendering. If it is Photoshop that is lagging, I am uncertain if the foregoing would solve the problem, or make it worse, though.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

What GPU do you have?

• sarge74sarge74 Posts: 121

Do you mean CS 6, rather than CC 6? Edit>Preferences>Interface, there's a check-box for Use Graphics Processor.

Yes, CS 6. Thanks

fastbike1 said:

What GPU do you have?

OH! I forgot to provide that. GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

SixDs said:

"make Photoshop tap my CPU and leave my GPU alone"

I can't comment on why you would only start experiencing a lag following a Windows update - but stranger things have happened. As for the quote from your post above, however, I assume you know that Photoshop, especially when using brushes, must update your display continuously in real time. Even though the CPU may be used, if your video card is also driving your display, the GPU will also be used to keep your display updated. An alternative would be to use the built-in graphics capabilities of your CPU to drive the display, while reserving the graphics card exclusively for rendering. If it is Photoshop that is lagging, I am uncertain if the foregoing would solve the problem, or make it worse, though.

Learning things everytime I visit the forums. Thanks. Not sure if I should attempt that, but thanks for the info. Much appreciated.