Genesis UV map query

Is there any EASY way to convert a texture so it can be used with another uvmap? Here is what I mean, if I want to use the specular or normal maps from, say, Ivan 7 with a texture created for a base model, is there a way to easily convert the Ivan (or Lee, ELijah, Darius, etc) spec or normal maps to the base figure or vise versa? I am assuming not, other than manually reworking them in photoshop. But I thought I would ask. THe nice thing with the old days and M4/V4 is that if a texture set came with a kickass specular map or displacement map, etc, you could use it with almost every texture set out there.

Comments

• I believe you can use the Texture Atlas plug-in to do this, but I've not personally done so. Someone on the forum has a tutorial on how to do this, but I don't remember who offhand.

• ChoppskiChoppski Posts: 479

I cannot even find the texture atlas icon in DS 4.9. I read online about what it can do, and it might be able to save as a new uv, but I am not sure.

• Choppski, you can convert textures between UVs (within each generation) using the Map Transfer facility in DAZ Studio.  RobotHeadArt has provided a tutorial for this: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/95701/tutorial-converting-custom-genesis-2-uvs-to-genesis-3.

• Choppski, you can convert textures between UVs (within each generation) using the Map Transfer facility in DAZ Studio.  RobotHeadArt has provided a tutorial for this: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/95701/tutorial-converting-custom-genesis-2-uvs-to-genesis-3.

Thank you; this is what I was thinking of.

THank you. I will try this--I kept looking for texture atlas and this makes more sense. I presume it will work with  genesis 3 and say, Ivan or Darius if I want to convert those to G3m base uvmaps?

Oh and will this transfer ALL the maps or just the diffuse?

• Choppski said:

THank you. I will try this--I kept looking for texture atlas and this makes more sense. I presume it will work with  genesis 3 and say, Ivan or Darius if I want to convert those to G3m base uvmaps?

Yes it should work with Genesis 3 also.

Choppski said:

The process will transfer all the maps that are displayed.  So if you only want to convert the Specular map, for example, set all the other maps to None.  Also bear in mind that for conversion purposes surfaces like the teeth, inner mouth, eyelashes and even eyes often do not need to be done, because the UVs are already the same.

Choppski said:

Yes it should work with Genesis 3 also.

Choppski said:

The process will transfer all the maps that are displayed.  So if you only want to convert the Specular map, for example, set all the other maps to None.  Also bear in mind that for conversion purposes surfaces like the teeth, inner mouth, eyelashes and even eyes often do not need to be done, because the UVs are already the same.

I cannot thank you enough. In some cases I think it might be sufficient to transfer skin defuse maps only so I can use them with the underlying maps of a different UV set. I will play and see . ANd thank you for your UV products. Being able to keep using my M4 textures with M6, 7, and 8 has been awesome.