New screen advice

Orpheus13Orpheus13 Posts: 274
edited November 2017 in The Commons
Hey guys! I'm gonna need a new screen and I wanted to know if you needed something special for 3D or just a "standard" good res screen. Edit: for instance is an IPS screen useful? Thanks in advance
Post edited by Orpheus13 on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393
    edited November 2017

For graphic work (including CGI) you need to pay attention to color accuracy.

Post edited by Leana on
  • Orpheus13Orpheus13 Posts: 274
    edited November 2017
    Post edited, I mainly want to know if an IPS screen is required.
    Post edited by Orpheus13 on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

IPS is 'better'.

But consider colour accuracy; you pay more for that, but depending on your requirements, it might be worth the cost.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,293

Better is subjective. IIRC, IPS is better for color accuracy. For 3D workstation duty probably better.

TN panels are generally faster, probably better for gaming.

One thing with IPS panels especially cheaper ones is backlight bleed. I got my 4k monitor when 4k was still pretty pricey, and in my $500 price range in my eyes a TN panel looked better for my use (3D workstation and some gaming).

Love 4k, couldn't go back to 1080p now. Check reviews as it's always changing.
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

The big advantage that IPS gives = better viewing angles.
    Big advantages for TN = Better brightness, contrast, and pixel response.

Color accuracy is more down to a combination of what exact color each of the sub pixels are and how the built in software mixes them.

• You can't beat the Dell Ultrasharp's for a good compromise between quality and price. They're all IPS, and all top rated. The're also easy on the eyes, not too glossy like some screens. And get at least 24". I have 2 x 24" and I actually wish I went even bigger, the tiny Daz menus need as much screen space as you can afford.

• Another vote for Dell Ultrasharp here. Not sure if they still make one, but the 24" model I got a while back is a 16:10 ratio instead of the more common 16:9. That extra bit of vertical space is very handy in an app like Daz3D.

• Another vote for Dell Ultrasharp here. Not sure if they still make one, but the 24" model I got a while back is a 16:10 ratio instead of the more common 16:9. That extra bit of vertical space is very handy in an app like Daz3D.

Yes, I've been happy with my Dell (well, Dells - the original developed a fault a month before the warranty ran out). And I agree, a 16:10 aspect ratio is much better for application use.

• Thanks guys ! So I'm gonna go for a Ultrasharp. smiley I see that they don't have a very good response time but it shouldn't be a problem, should it ?

I'm just hesitating between the U2414H, the U2417H (seems newer, a bit more expensive but not sure it's as good, not IPS !) and the 24 U2415, which is the 16:10, 100 bucks more. How does 16:10 work on movies, does it distort the image or is there some black on the sides ? And how is it better for Daz and co ?

Orpheus13 said:

Thanks guys ! So I'm gonna go for a Ultrasharp. smiley I see that they don't have a very good response time but it shouldn't be a problem, should it ?

I'm just hesitating between the U2414H, the U2417H (seems newer, a bit more expensive but not sure it's as good, not IPS !) and the 24 U2415, which is the 16:10, 100 bucks more. How does 16:10 work on movies, does it distort the image or is there some black on the sides ? And how is it better for Daz and co ?

Biggest thing is what are you doing with it?

Read JamesJAB's and my post again, the technologies tend to do different things better.

• Biggest thing is what are you doing with it?

Read JamesJAB's and my post again, the technologies tend to do different things better.

No gaming as of now, nor do I plan do do much, like, ever.

So mainly 3D with Daz and other softwares, and 2D with Photoshop.

Orpheus13 said:

Biggest thing is what are you doing with it?

No gaming as of now, nor do I plan do do much, like, ever.

So mainly 3D with Daz and other softwares, and 2D with Photoshop.

OK, so that makes it easier.  Response times are important for gaming, but won't make any difference with Photoshop or Daz Studio.  Best bet is to read reviews for what fits your budget keeping your use in mind.

• And about that 16:10 thing, how useful is it really ?

• Orpheus13 said:

And about that 16:10 thing, how useful is it really ?

1.11111111 times as many pixels as a 16:9 display of the same width. At 1920 wide that's an extra 120 pixels, enought for a few more layers or items or parametrs at one time in most applications.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I'd recommend 2560x1440 and 27"; I use 3. They have the same aspect ratio as HD (they're known as quad HD).

But it is about what suites you and what suits your wallet. :)