Creating a Tattoo

I am trying to add a tattoo and some skin imperfections to one of my V8 Females. I inintially tried to follow videos that I found, but they refer to "Diffuse Color" which I don't see in the Surfaces pane. I do see a Base Color and a Translucency color which have references to jpgs. I tried adding to the Base Color first and that didn't work. I then used the "Translucency Color" and was able to bring up the Layer Editor and added my art work there. That seemed to work and showed the tatoo in the Viewport. When I rendered with Photorealistic for 2000 itarations with the head lamp on, the tattoo was almost black. I had better results when I changed the Translucency Weight to 100%, but I am thinking I must be doing something wrong.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• I've added an image of part of the render that I did. This was with the transluceny weight maxed out.

Tramp Stamp.png
    692 x 326 - 541K
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018
    edited November 2017

diffuse colour is the name you have in 3Delight material settings. The same in Iray is called Base Colour. You can add the LIE settings there.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
    edited November 2017

Here's how you can set up the tattoo (assuming that you already know how to work with the LIE editor):

First, create a second layer in LIE, and load the tattoo image to it (mods: I hope the skin texture was edited sufficiently?).

Make sure you use the multiplicative blend. AT this example, the opacity (at the bottom of the settings) is set to 100%, but that comes out as pretty strong. A lower number is usually better; you need to experiment bit to find the proper strength for your tattoo.

If you are done with your changes, the rendered image looks something like this:

tattoo1.JPG
    1178 x 919 - 126K
    tattoo2.JPG
    1569 x 852 - 158K
  • Thanks for the info, Bee! I had originally tried the Base Color but it barely showed up. I went back and tried it again with the info you provided. What I learned was that other settings appear to be causing the problem. I am working from a Victoria 8 figure just using the materials that come with it. 

I looked at the Surface pane screen shot that you attached and tweeked my Translucency Weight down to 50% and the Tattoo popped into view. So, it appears that there is something problematic with the Victoria 8 defaults. 

One other thing that seems odd is that the my Translucency Color was 1 1 1.  Yours is quite different. 

I have attached my Surface settings to get some feedback on what they should be.

Thanks!

SurfaceSettings.png
    928 x 1037 - 187K
  • I switched the skin one from the Pepper character that I bought and the tattoo works fine on that skin. It looks like the default Victoria skin needs some other changes to make it work.

edited November 2017

I've checked out the G8 tattoo problem, and it seems it's due to G8 having dual lobe settings.

The solution is pretty simple. You add the tatto to both, base colour and translucency colour. They have to match positions, so you best note down the x and y coordinates along with the scaling.

Here's the tattoo test render at 100% strength of the layer and multiplicative blen on default V8 materials; I'd suggest you test with the strength of the tattoo layers until the result fits your purpose.

tattoo3.JPG
    1702 x 871 - 182K
  • Thanks so much for the help!!!!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

This was very helpful for me as well thank you very much Bee!