Problem with custom poses (self made)

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

I have been fairly successful making my own poses. When I do it, I follow these steps.

1. I load the base character and something like a rug or mat so I can get a good idea of where the floor is.

2. I pose it where it stands until I have it looking the way I want.

3. I save as a Pose Preset

Duh right? Well, what I notice in a lot of poses I purchase is that I can pose a character with one of them, move the character and later, change the pose and the character STAYS where I placed them. With MY poses I load, the character ZOOOP!! goes right back to dead center in the picture. Like if I restored them to T-Pose. How can I save my poses to change in place without having to move them back? I hope I worded that right. I've been fighting this battle for awhile and can't believe I haven't asked this yet :P

Thanks for any tips!

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

When you save the pose, be sure to uncheck translations on the root of the figure.

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

Well that sounds easy enough. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the root of the figure" though. Where do i find that check box?

edited November 2017

Well I decided to be a big girl and try to figure it out. I did a kneeling pose and found the spot to uncheck translations. I retored to T-Pose, moved the character and applied the pose preset and the character stayed in the same location this time but was kneeling in the air. So i guess the battle is half won. I just need to figure out how to get it to recognize the Y translation and not the others. Thanks for the point in the right direction Fixmypcmike

Post edited by DDCreate on
  • DDCreate said:

Well I decided to be a big girl and try to figure it out. I did a kneeling pose and found the spot to uncheck translations. I retored to T-Pose, moved the character and applied the pose preset and the character stayed in the same location this time but was kneeling in the air. So i guess the battle is half won. I just need to figure out how to get it to recognize the Y translation and not the others. Thanks for the point in the right direction Fixmypcmike

Ideallt any movement that is required, such as lowering the figure to be on the ground or adjusting a couple pose to give proper placement, should be done using the hip and should be saved in the pose. Placement within the overall scene should be done with the figure node, and shouldn't be saved (other than for placement poses that do nothing bu take a character to a particular place in a scene).

Soooo...reload the character in pose, select the hip and re-save as a pose preset with the translations unchecked?

• Make sure that the adjustment to place the feet on the ground is made with the hip bone, then include the hip transaltions but not the figure node's translations