Virtual photo studio?

Hi

Could you please recommend if there are sets which would work like photo studio? That would be flexible set of lights + "studio" part which, i mean, backdrop thing, that should be abstract enough for use in many renders. I guess i'm interested in iRay-focused, though 3delight might be interested to to consider. I think i saw something like that in past, but didnt get me interested (also because backdrop was too primitive and not neutrally good looking)

Thanks

Comments

• Thanks for suggestions!

And what can you tell me about "render studio" products by Colm Jackson? I see they are most expensive, though

• Hey thanks! Thanks to this thread, I remembered which of my old library scenes I was looking for recently: Maclean's fashion studio. For me personally, I've gotten a lot of use out of that in the past. Creative use of emissive shaders on things like the boom stands can create really realistic flash effects, if you work with it, so it translates pretty well to the Iray era.

• Thanks for suggestions!

And what can you tell me about "render studio" products by Colm Jackson? I see they are most expensive, though

I have all his studio light sets for Iray, and I can make my own. That's how good he is.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229
    edited December 2017

I have some "IG Easy" lights-studio stuff, and that is how it behaves... the one I have even comes with a "seamless paper background" that you can place behind the model. I also have some of the Boudoir Studio stuff... ditto if I'm not mistaken and there are couches and morphing seats that you can place the model on, and so on. Just now I picked up one of the "Ambient Light..." products or sets out of Fastgrab, which seems to be in the same category but with muted light, and it also apparently works with at least some outdoor scenes.

Lots of people sell ready-made backgrounds -- for example Dreamlight and also on Ren... -- of various types including "bokeh" which for those who may be new to this involves fuzzy, out of focus stuff in the background, eg. you are playing with depth of field, that sort of thing. I also have some old 3DL stuff -- perhaps no longer available on DAZ -- that seemed to come with all sorts of material and lighting scripts which I don't really understand.

Bear in mind that different background props and settings will pick up shadows and they'll absorb/radiate light in different ways. And you can always do global lighting effects in an image editor! Also I should mention that just because you search for some particular approach in... this category doesn't mean that your search will come back with all of the stuff that will be of interest to you. Search results can be awfully spotty which is kind of a shame.

Here is a very quick screenshot of the backdrop (actually a sort of "terrain" or sheet) that is included in Maclean's Everyday Morphing Primitives set... notice that I have warped this prop quite a bit, including in my messing around some undulations that most people would surely have little or no use for... smiley Still, I wonder whether, if you put a chrome or mirror-like shader on this, will it start to behave like a fun house mirror??? So much to try, and so little time!

morphing-terrain-as-backdrop.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 193K
    Post edited by Roman_K2 on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

Heh! Great use of the morphing terrain. I love seeing people do things I never thought of with that set.

Re the mirror. When I was doing my Jail set, I discovered that Smoothing affects mirrors quite a bit. Setting it to 5 gave me a flat mirror, but 43 gave me a wide-angle mirror. Of course, it all depends on the original geometry, so Smoothing may not always have an effect, but it's worth playing with it to see what happens.