Sculptris to Carrara - thoughts on cool things to do?

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited November 2017 in Carrara Discussion

I just downloaded Sculptris from the pixelogic site.  Are there any cool things to do in addition to modifying one of my low res mesh dummes?  For example, will I be able to create a bump or normal map from changes that I make from the dummy?

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

If I remember correctly Sculptris does not include Normal map baking. They want you to get Z Brush for that. I did see a demo on YouTube recently how to bake Normals in Blender.

Not sure what all Sculptris is capable of for exporting beyond obj. It should say something on the site.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

Check out PolyBrush in addition to Sculptris. My first reaction on discovering it is has some cool, unique, modeling abilities I don't think I have seen anywhere else. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, so I don't know if it has the normal map/baking ability you are looking for. There is a free version, although the full version is very affordable.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

PolyBrush looked cool.  3d-coat is another option that does have normal map stuff I believe

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2017

PolyBrush does look pretty cool.

I know that you can paint bump maps in Sculptris but I havn't used it in ages and I seem to remember that it was not real obvious how to do it and you can't do it at the same time as the color. Like in Carrara, you have to do the color and bump painting separately for the best results.

As Dart mentioned, baking bump and normal maps from a high-poly to a low-poly model is pretty easy in Blender and there are a ton of videos on YouTube showing the basic process. Hereare a couple of good ones:

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    MDO2010 said:

As Dart mentioned, baking bump and normal maps from a high-poly to a low-poly model is pretty easy in Blender and there are a ton of videos on YouTube showing the basic process. Hereare a couple of good ones:

Yeah... that's they guy! He's awesome.

cdordoni said:

Check out PolyBrush in addition to Sculptris. My first reaction on discovering it is has some cool, unique, modeling abilities I don't think I have seen anywhere else. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, so I don't know if it has the normal map/baking ability you are looking for. There is a free version, although the full version is very affordable.

Wow. $25/year or $150(USD)/lifetime... that is a good deal!

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

Wow. $25/year or $150(USD)/lifetime... that is a good deal!

The one reservation I have in buying it is that its a 32-bit app, which might be fine for a lot of modelling. If it stays responsive and stable up to a few million polys thats probably not a big deal though.

The highest resolution I can get in Hexagon without significant speed/stabilitiy issues is about one million polys, using LAA.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2017

Thanks for the advice.  I will make sure to check these out.

Post edited by Diomede on