OT: DAZ Studio Material Export to Blender

One of the things I like about the latest Blender is the Principled Shader, which is pretty much an all-in-one shader. But since it's a different shader system from Studio's, I'm trying to figure out the best way to take existing textures (say, for characters bought in the store), and use them on a character exported to Blender. Has anyone figured it out? I think I'm close, but the only way to know you're close is to set up identical scenes (lighting, environment, etc.) in both Studio and Blender and see if the results match. 

So far I'm using three inputs to the Principled: Color, Roughness and Normal. And the character's textures I'm using are Color, Specular, and Normal (though I'm inverting the Specular to make it Roughness....I think). 

But the maps used in Studio are:

1. Color
  2. Translucency Color
  3. Glossy Layered Weight
  4. Base Bump
  5. Normal
  6. Top Coat Weight

And along with that there are color and other settings for SSS, etc.

From my understanding of the Principled, you should be able to get the same results as the Studio materials, though maybe with different texture maps and settings.

So has anyone figured it out yet? 

Thanks. 

Comments

• Just as a guess, as I don't use blender, but I would use base bump instead of specular for roughness.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Just as a guess, as I don't use blender, but I would use base bump instead of specular for roughness.

Yeah I think you're right. There's the "metalness" workflow, which uses Metallicity & Roughness, and the Specular/Gloss workflow, which uses spec and gloss. And in Studio the PA is using Metallicity/Roughness, and uses the same specular map for Glossy Layered and Top Coat Weight. Confusing. Maybe the map they named ".xxxxS..." isn't specular. 

Now I'm trying to use the "specular" map in Blender in the Clearcoat channel, assuming it's the same as the PA's Top Coat in Studio.  

• FWIWFWIW Posts: 320

If it were possible to use Daz Shaders in Blender I would lose my damn mind. (For that matter if I could save morphed characters from Daz to export to Blender and not have them vanish and leave base Gen 3 I would be almost as happy)

edited November 2017

double post

Post edited by FWIW on
  • ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited November 2017

If it were possible to use Daz Shaders in Blender I would lose my damn mind. (For that matter if I could save morphed characters from Daz to export to Blender and not have them vanish and leave base Gen 3 I would be almost as happy)

It's possible. I'm getting close, just looking for the right formula. Textures come in fine, and it's just a matter of figuring the details. If you have simple shaders without SSS and transparency and stuff, it's easy. 

By the way, I'm working on the Principled shader. I think if you use the Blender Render shaders, it's already do-able with mcCasual's exporter plugin (with some limitiations from my experience).

Post edited by ebergerly on
  • mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,506

Does ProRender play well with Cycles? I'm very interested in this material export to Blender as I've seen nice developments on that end...

I'll be watching this thread with interest than. (Also thank you for the tip!) I am nowhere near smart enough to figure this stuff out on my own. It's always a relief to find someone else working on it.