3 easy dforce questions.

edited November 2017 in Daz Studio Discussion

Just tested it out, works very well. 

To make thing harder she has digtigrade legs and tail. 
Found I should run dforce with smothing and colisions on worked well, will try to reduce settings and see if it still works well. 

first I set the waistline of skirt to not be visible in simulation to avoid it falling off, I then get an stretch effect below, smothing removes most of the problem but feel this is the wrong way to handle it. 

Second it looks like I either has to create an simulation for one page or an animation, I can not do it on muliple frames if they are discree poses in an scene?

Last it looks like I don't have to do any settings on the character at all but I assume I would have to do this on ground or other clothing like boots. 
Would it be an benefit to make character static and esculde the head from simulation for an skirt?

Post edited by magne.moe_2e4aaef724 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,455
    edited November 2017

Instead of turning off Visible in Simulation try setting the Dynamic Strength to 0.

I'm not sure what you mean here - an animated drape should be able to cope with successive poses on a timeline. However, if the first desired pose is at frame zero you will probably want to raise the initialisation time so that the cloth is already draped when the animation starts.

You don't need to do anythign with objects that will be static colliision targets - unless you want to change the default settings (such as friction).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Instead of turning off Visible in Simulation try setting the Dynamic Strength to 0.

I'm not sure what you mean here - an animated drape should be able to cope with successive poses on a timeline. However, if the first desired pose is at frame zero you will probably want to raise the initialisation time so that the cloth is already draped when the animation starts.

You don't need to do anythign with objects that will be static colliision targets - unless you want to change the default settings (such as friction).

Thanks, still use inbisible for stuff like top of dresses with complex geometry I assume?

And yes draping should work as its already posed pretty well, I could just clear and do an new simulation before rendering anyway for this too.

The skirt is set to colide with the character but it don't interact with the grafted tail except for smothing as far as I see. Neither with the shirt who is nice. Has to do more testing in an simpler setup than an full cene. 

• Anything you want to kep locked can  have zero dynamic strength, or be set to Visisble off.

Are you using the latest version? There was a bug in the initial 4.10 release invovling GeoGrafts (well, it was more geenral than just GeoGrafts) that was fixed, certainly in the curent Public beta and I think in the production build too.

• Anything you want to kep locked can  have zero dynamic strength, or be set to Visisble off.

Are you using the latest version? There was a bug in the initial 4.10 release invovling GeoGrafts (well, it was more geenral than just GeoGrafts) that was fixed, certainly in the curent Public beta and I think in the production build too.

Yes, downloaded 4.10.0.107 a few days ago, and I prefer the way it works now, tail poke trough, smothing get you an decent transition with an transmapped hole, having to make an real hole would require changing the mesh and importing the morphs, would probably mess up the UV mapping too. 
    With smothing off it just made an straight pass trough.
    She might even wear pants, with the digigrade legs she has been restriced to shorts or skirts. 

• A trans-mapped hole is not a real hole, so dForce cannot do anything about that.

What you can do is use the Geometry Editor to select the polygons of the skirt where the tail pokes through, then Hide those selected polys, then Delete those Hidden polys. This puts a hole in the mesh for the tail.

If the skirt appears to break on the legs at the bend joint, put a Sphere primitive over the joint and size it (X-width) so the skirt goes around the joint without being too unrealistic. This is also how you prevent hands from "shredding" cloth in a simulation. DForce tries to go between the fingers, so the Sphere "glove" adds an additional collision zone.

• A trans-mapped hole is not a real hole, so dForce cannot do anything about that.

What you can do is use the Geometry Editor to select the polygons of the skirt where the tail pokes through, then Hide those selected polys, then Delete those Hidden polys. This puts a hole in the mesh for the tail.

If the skirt appears to break on the legs at the bend joint, put a Sphere primitive over the joint and size it (X-width) so the skirt goes around the joint without being too unrealistic. This is also how you prevent hands from "shredding" cloth in a simulation. DForce tries to go between the fingers, so the Sphere "glove" adds an additional collision zone.

It wouldn't actually be necessary to deleet the polygons, just assign them to a new material and with the dForce material settings applied turn off Visible to Simulation.

• True. Deleting polygons may have adverse effects, as well.