I'm a browser dunce

Sigh, I beat my head against my monitor screen.  So here's the thing... I still work on a Windows 7 computer.  It's 9 years old next March.  I have had a Windows 8.1 sitting on a desk behind me for 3 years now and I just recently added an NVidia video card to it because the one that came with it (AMD Radeon) was integrated and Substance Painter could not use the GPUs.  I am now moving some programs over to the 8.1 and find that I'm liking it a lot.

My problem is that when I download something through FireFox on the 8.1 it does not ask me where I want to download it to.  It puts it into the download folder.  What a pain.  I don't want to have to do double duty.  I changed FF's' options so that it asks me first but it still doesn't ask where I want it to go.  Is there a way to make it ask me where I want to download it to?   ...or am I going to have to use Internet Explorer for downloads?

Help....whimper.

Comments

• Simply telling it to ask isn't enough if you've already started downloading to a particular location automatically; you will have to make sure to reset all existing automatic downloads to ask in the option page. I'm not at my desk so I can't give you the exact setting to look for.

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 3,076

Well, now I'm confused.  I had gone into options earlier and changed it to 'always ask you where to save files' but it didn't keep that setting.  It was back to download to the download folder.  I just changed it again and it seems to be sticking.  I won't know until I reboot my computer.  I''ll just go grab one of the free 4 hour products and try downloading it.  brb.

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 3,076

Not sure what I did wrong before but it worked this time.  It asked me where I wanted to save the file to.  DD, thanks for taking the time to respond.  I appreciate knowing you are here if it hadn't worked.

• TottallouTottallou Posts: 555
    edited November 2017

On Firefox it doesn't ask where you want to save until you press save - You can then navigate to the folder you want to save in

Firefox opens the last folder you saved to so you don't always need to navigate anywhere

Capture.JPG
    1175 x 497 - 66K
    Post edited by Tottallou on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    edited November 2017

In Firefox, just click on "Tools" menu and choose "Options" there.

Scroll down in the page to "Files and Applications", "Downloads" and mark:
    "Always ask you where to save files"

This is for Firefox Quantum 57, but I think it is there for quite a while.

If menus are hidden, just right click on the upper, empty space on side of the tabs and mark:

"Menu Bar" there.

Post edited by Artini on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

Try Waterfox - https://www.waterfoxproject.org/downloads

Its a fork of Firefox but its more secure and it does not use your Firefox profile.