any available/advised version between 4.9.3.166 and 4.10?

i still have DS 4.9.3.166 (Pro 64-bit) installed on my laptop. because i had read in the forum there had been issues with a newer version (ends with .122 i think, the one where G8 was introduced) and waited for a maybe better one.
(hence, i still can't install/use G8, M8, the new power pose panel etc.)

but then, before i really had time/energy/focus to confront the question, came DS 4.10.
with dforce and a probable lot of awesome features.
and ofc, the usual beginner bugs to expect with a new version, but also, as i read, some unsavory constant crash epidemics - and worse, some possible, unsolvable harsher issues, like incompatibility with some Gcards etc.
btw, i have an Nvidia GeForce GT 540M (OpenGL), 8GB DDR RAM, and Win10 on Acer Aspire 5755G.

i started reading the special thread on 4.10, and my head began to spin. i can't make much sense of what i read, and my focus crashes after a few posts. i don't even know where to begin comparing my features with what's expected for 4.10 to work (more than less) flawlessly.

what i'd really like would be to get (where from??? obviously neither DIM nor even "my products") the most advanced DS version guaranteed to work on my system - which would also not break total havoc in my interface like the "script" shortcuts i created etc. luckily, i never created special categories, everything was installed with DIM, but i DO have a "My Library" (for non-Daz products, freebies etc) next to the normal "My Daz Library". short: i can't deal with a total loss of my program, nor a flurry of chaotic de- and re-installations confusing me even more, nor a mess with my libraries (hrs & hrs of manual installs!), nor constant crashes.
not sure if it's 4.10, and while i'd love to experiment with dForce it's NOT a priority.

any help here? would be very, very welcome.
please as plain/clear as possible, full-tech speak doesn't agree too well with me... :)

sorry for the very long rant, i just tried to write as clearly as possible ^^

Comments

• Try the Public beta and see how that performs. You may find that the new version of Iray doesn't support your card, I'm not sure which geenration it uses, but there should eb no impact on UI or content. Rob does have a script to copy the UI from the non-beta version http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/general_ui/copy_ui_from_channel/start

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405
    edited November 2017

Try the Public beta and see how that performs. You may find that the new version of Iray doesn't support your card, I'm not sure which geenration it uses, but there should eb no impact on UI or content.

do you mean the public beta of 4.10? 4.10.0.118, available here: https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta ?

it won't overwrite/install itself UPON (replace) my actual version, or will it? in the past i had both DS 3 and 4 working in parallel, but those were installed with old installers, anyways things might have changed. i don't want to lose my actual, perfectly working 4.9 version..
    EDIT: ok, i just read a post mentioning that "You can install the 4.10 beta version side by side with your current version."

btw, iray isn't an issue really, i don't care much about it/use it since my laptop is too weak/slow to use iray without it heating a lot.

i can just save this dsa in the usual script folder, click it from inside 4.10 beta, and it will save my UI of 4.9 to the beta of 4.10, right?

Post edited by manekiNeko on
    edited November 2017

thanks a lot for your great advice, Richard :)

so far so good, 4.10 pub beta seems to work - at first glance and a few small quick test scenes/3dl renders. the UI came over perfect. G8 works fine. iray not sure - no err msg, but the 1st test was so slow i broke it up. no crashes yet. as to dforce, it seems my system lacks a CL device (vaguely seen in a post, so my openGL doesn't support it = no dforce for me. no biggie.)

-> only thing i wonder: in DIM, both the postGreSql for the beta AND my old version appear in the install panel, and if i install one, it disappears but then the other comes back... i have no problem accessing my content from 4.10 tho. not an issue i guess.

• Yes, you can have only one version of PostgreSQL installed - I'm not sure that there's actually any difference between release and beta versions at the moment, it may just be that the compleet package has to be set to include a PostgreSQL installer (and there have been times when there was a difference, even if theer isn't now).

You can check if you GPU is supported by going to the Advanced tab of render Settings - if it is it will be listed, if not oly the CPU will be listed.

If the GPU is also not available as an OpenCL device that is not encouraging, though OpenCL, OpenGL, and CUDA are all separate things. You may be able to use the Intel OpenCL driver to get dForce to work - there's a link in the dForce Start Here thread in Daz Studio Discussion.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,610

The GT540 card is a fermi class so it should be available with the current 4.10.0.118 version. If not try to update the drivers. When DS will pass to iray 2017.1.x and above then support for the fermi class will be removed.

edited November 2017

You can check if you GPU is supported by going to the Advanced tab of render Settings - if it is it will be listed, if not oly the CPU will be listed.

If the GPU is also not available as an OpenCL device that is not encouraging, though OpenCL, OpenGL, and CUDA are all separate things. You may be able to use the Intel OpenCL driver to get dForce to work - there's a link in the dForce Start Here thread in Daz Studio Discussion.

hmm.. not sure if i got it right - but all i see in the advanced tab is basic OpenGL and intermediate OpenGL. no CL anywhere.

EDIT: i saw what you meant - didn't get i had to pick nvidia iray first. yes, my GT is listed together with the CPU.

CUDA rings a (barely audible) bell, something about cores maybe.., i think my card has it/them. or maybe even 4 or 8 of them. but i forgot all i read (and probably didn't undersatnd) about this a while ago so i might have totally mixed up infos in my distraught brain :/
    thx for the link, i'll check this dForce thread.

Padone said:

The GT540 card is a fermi class so it should be available with the current 4.10.0.118 version. If not try to update the drivers. When DS will pass to iray 2017.1.x and above then support for the fermi class will be removed.

aah i did see "fermi" (whatever that means) in the 4.10 thread yesterday - but never anywhere as i checked the docu about the GT540 a while ago. nice surprise. i'll check the driver thing. thx Padone ^^