Filter Forge and Iray textures

This discussion was created from comments split from: Not trying to start a debate.. but looking at Filter Forge vs Genetica.

Comments

• So I am interested in creating Iray textures. Does filter forge creat the proper layers and is there tutorials on how to creat the textures for Iray

• artstudio said:

So I am interested in creating Iray textures. Does filter forge creat the proper layers and is there tutorials on how to creat the textures for Iray

I'm not sure what ebergerly is talking about, but yes it can. Filter Forge is extremely good for creating the maps needed for PBR rendering.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

I'm not sure what ebergerly is talking about, but yes it can. Filter Forge is extremely good for creating the maps needed for PBR rendering.

I'm not talking about anything, just referring to the August 2017 thread where MacGyver said:

"Create a smart PBR material (mmmm... Peanut butter) for iRay directly in filter forge... No. You could make elements of the material in Filter Forge, but you can't make the iRay material in Filter Forge and then take it over to DS and use it."

• UthgardUthgard Posts: 853

If we are talking about a complete shader, no, it' doesn't, Filter Forge is perfectly capable of rendering all the maps you need to create your own shader/texture, from diffuse to normal, bump, displacement, specular or alpha. You will need to plug them manually in their corresponding channels and assign the numerical values, and that can be a lot of work or outside you personal expertise, but I do believe the hardest part of the whole process is the image creation, and that's what the program does.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited November 2017

As a fan of Substance Painter, you might want to consider that software too. They also have an online repository of texture sets that's really pretty nice. And Substance Painter allows you to create the Iray materials (Metalness/Roughness and others). And you can apply those directly to your 3D object using some incredible tools and layers. You can paint and view in an Iray realtime viewport. And even make normal maps and others, based on your object's geometry. 

Again, there is not a 100% direct correlation between the maps made in Painter with the DAZ Iray maps. Some have different names, and some you have to tweak a bit. 

Though I've never used Filter Forge or Genetica, so they may have some other benefits. 

Post edited by ebergerly on
  • ebergerly said:

I'm not talking about anything, just referring to the August 2017 thread where MacGyver said:

"Create a smart PBR material (mmmm... Peanut butter) for iRay directly in filter forge... No. You could make elements of the material in Filter Forge, but you can't make the iRay material in Filter Forge and then take it over to DS and use it."

Obviously you can't create Iray shader presets in Filter Forge, but you can make all the maps for them and then plug them into the Uber shader or the iSimple shaders if you're feeling lazy.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964

I have FilterForge and Substance Painter and they synergize very well.