Bringing things to life...

So, I'm pretty new to 3D stuff. I realize a lot of this is probably just newbie confusion, so I'm sorry if it's dumb; please don't judge, lol. I've been really enjoying making 3D models in hexagon, and I have figured out how to make a texture in photoshop using the UV map and how to create a normal map for better detail on the model. However, because I am so new to the programs and the terminology, I am still struggling a bit with how all the stuff fits together. How do I use my texture and normal map and package them to make a realistic looking effect on my model? Do I need to turn them into a shader preset or something? I guess what I am asking is, do I need something else in addition? Do I also need specular and other maps, and if so how to make them? How to make shaders, to determine how light hits the object? And ultimately, once I have all the pieces (image files, settings?, etc.), how do I "package" them, or put them together neatly into a finished preset that can be easily applied to the product in DAZ? Ultimately, I would like to make content that I can share with other people, or even sell, so it is important to me that I put things together properly, rather than doing a sloppy job and even potentially leaving out an important element. And, of course, the end goal is to make something that looks lifelike in a render. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

My recommendation is to buy a character or two (or if characters aren't your thing, then any 3D model sold in the store really) and take a look at how they have the texture maps set in the surfaces tab and play around with the settings and see what changing the settings does.

Generally, people usually start out playing with and tweaking other people's characters or products that they've bought in the store and then learn from there - to eventually venture out to creating character morphs or creating their own 3D models and creating their own textures. It sounds like you're going about it in the opposite way. heheh That's not to say it's a "bad" way, but probably much harder than learning by studying already made products and how they are textured and what their shaders settings look like, etc. 

• My recommendation is to buy a character or two (or if characters aren't your thing, then any 3D model sold in the store really) and take a look at how they have the texture maps set in the surfaces tab and play around with the settings and see what changing the settings does.

Generally, people usually start out playing with and tweaking other people's characters or products that they've bought in the store and then learn from there - to eventually venture out to creating character morphs or creating their own 3D models and creating their own textures. It sounds like you're going about it in the opposite way. heheh That's not to say it's a "bad" way, but probably much harder than learning by studying already made products and how they are textured and what their shaders settings look like, etc. 

I have definitely been looking at the way other people make uv maps and textures... But yeah, making the base 3D models is the most fun part for me. "Oh right, now I have to make them look pretty" is the unavoidable next step, lol. I think part of my problem is I don't yet fully know how all the directories, scripts, presets etc. are set up in DAZ? I don't understand how the shader settings work and things. You are likely right that I need to rummage around in DAZ's guts a bit more, haha.