Query about G3/G8 characters

Mooching about on here I see quite a few later figures and some of them appear to have HD added onto it so like "Mary for G8F HD" example. Is HD generally better quality definition? just trying to see what the general difference here opposed to the later characters without an 'HD' on their name. Thankyou.

Comments

• As far as I'm aware HD morphs require a higher subdivision and do usually have more small details in them. I subdivide by 4 to bring out HD details.

• ServantServant Posts: 758

HD will have finer details, especially up close. Good if you're aiming for photorealism renders.

• ToobisToobis Posts: 962

Ah verygood. What do you mean Karuki by 'I subdivide by 4 to bring out HD details' ? 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    Toobis said:

Ah verygood. What do you mean Karuki by 'I subdivide by 4 to bring out HD details' ? 

means increasing the mesh resolution when rendeing. If your PC can handle it, you should always turn up the resolution on characters and animals to bring out more detail, especially if they use displacemnt or normal maps. To increase click the figure and in the parameters tab look under general - mesh resolution

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471
    Toobis said:

means increasing the mesh resolution when rendeing. If your PC can handle it, you should always turn up the resolution on characters and animals to bring out more detail, especially if they use displacemnt or normal maps. To increase click the figure and in the parameters tab look under general - mesh resolution

I don't know what "increasing the mesh resolution" means, so I opened DAZ and pulled up a saved scene.  I hit the 'render' tab, then go thru each of the edit settings but I don't see a "mesh" anything to change?  Sorry, but I'm still new at this stuff.  Where do I increase mesh resolution?  And how much am I increasing to make a difference?

• ItsCeo said:
    Toobis said:

I don't know what "increasing the mesh resolution" means, so I opened DAZ and pulled up a saved scene.  I hit the 'render' tab, then go thru each of the edit settings but I don't see a "mesh" anything to change?  Sorry, but I'm still new at this stuff.  Where do I increase mesh resolution?  And how much am I increasing to make a difference?

It's under the Parameters tab when you have a figure selected in your scene

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,349

As zombietaggerung said it is under the Parameters tab, look in General/Mesh Resolution, and increase the View SubD level by 1 or 2 clicks.

Remember that in many cases you will see little or no difference, particularly if you are not zoomed close in to the figure. Check first that it does indeed improve the image, otherwise leave the SubD level at default otherwise it will use more memory in your scene and slow down the render.

• And, there is also the need to verify that a figure does indeed have HD Morphs, by checking the file listing; HD morphs will have an odd file extension, not dsf.