Please, please, please... update the search engine at the DAZ store

Come on DAZ... isn't it about time the Store had a decent search engine?

One example amongst thousands:

I search for "swim" thinking that it will pick up any item with "swim", "swiming", "swimsuit" etc etc... ie swim related products, but noooo. What it actually shows is a load of hair styles from.. guess who... yes... SWAM !

Really DAZ?

For "Swimsuits" you have to type, guess what.... "swimsuits".

Any half decent search engine will prefer "swimsuits" to "SWAM" given the search term "swim".

Please update the store search engine.

Comments

• NathNath Posts: 2,771

The thing that gets me about the search engine is where the suggestions as you start typing show the exact name of the product and then when you select that suggestion it goes 'nope, sorry can't find it' while a partial search term does lead to the item.

• wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572

I think the suggestions are drawn from what has been entered before.  Either that or some fuzzy logic, but I do agree that when you search for specific things, no other stuff should be returned.   Then again, the search engine is probably designed to return extra or wrong results deliberately in an effort to generate impulse buys. It has worked with me.

Scott

• One thing that helps a lot with the Swim/SWAM issue specifically is to sort the results by relevance instead of "New Arrivals."  Search engines in general are tricky, finicky things to run.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

When the search term "swim" is used, I honestly think words like "swim", "swimming", "swimsuit" and even water related items like pools and scuba gear should pop up before unrelated articles made by a PA with a name which is similar to "swim". (No offence to SWAM, her hair figures are excellent!)

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015

What I would like to see is more compehensive content sorting.. Such as hair looking for long hair then go to the long hair section and looking for short hair look in the short hair section.. Same thing with clothing drresses, pants, tops and so on..

• Agree it would be nice if the store search engine were more robust. I often use it to search for things I previously purchased by unchecking the "Hide items I own" box. Problem is, if I navigate away from my search by viewing a product's store page, and then hit my browser's back button to go back to my search, the "hide items" box *appears* to be still unchecked, but actually isn't. I have to re-uncheck it, and then start my search all over again. Maybe I'm the only person who does this and knows what I'm even talking about, LOL.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,129

Agree it would be nice if the store search engine were more robust. I often use it to search for things I previously purchased by unchecking the "Hide items I own" box. Problem is, if I navigate away from my search by viewing a product's store page, and then hit my browser's back button to go back to my search, the "hide items" box *appears* to be still unchecked, but actually isn't. I have to re-uncheck it, and then start my search all over again. Maybe I'm the only person who does this and knows what I'm even talking about, LOL.

One solution to this is to navigate to the product in a new tab. Hold down the "control" key while clicking on the item, that will open it in a new tab, and leave your search results unchanged.

• Well, isn't that a simple solution I should have figured out on my own long ago? Let's just add this to the long list of comments I wish I hadn't made, shall we? LOL

Thanks, Ati  

Ati said:

Agree it would be nice if the store search engine were more robust. I often use it to search for things I previously purchased by unchecking the "Hide items I own" box. Problem is, if I navigate away from my search by viewing a product's store page, and then hit my browser's back button to go back to my search, the "hide items" box *appears* to be still unchecked, but actually isn't. I have to re-uncheck it, and then start my search all over again. Maybe I'm the only person who does this and knows what I'm even talking about, LOL.

One solution to this is to navigate to the product in a new tab. Hold down the "control" key while clicking on the item, that will open it in a new tab, and leave your search results unchanged.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    Ati said:

Depending on your setup, a right click can also acheive this.  I use it regularly.  :)

• Melissa ConwayMelissa Conway Posts: 590
    edited December 2017

That does indeed do the trick. Thanks!

Ati said:

Depending on your setup, a right click can also acheive this.  I use it regularly.  :)

Edit for typo.

Post edited by Melissa Conway on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

yes just type animation into the searchbox and wait for funny things to come

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    DAZ_Steve said:

One thing that helps a lot with the Swim/SWAM issue specifically is to sort the results by relevance instead of "New Arrivals."  Search engines in general are tricky, finicky things to run.

no excuse for trying to make it better

and it is bad

• 3DMinh3DMinh Posts: 220

I always use google with command site:daz3d.com as a workaround. If you want to search, why don't use the best :P

But I agree a better built-in search engine would be nice :D

forum.PNG
    733 x 817 - 73K
  • It's a funny thing- because some items have non-related names and the ONLY way to find them is to search by what they do.

I buy a figure, and much, much later, look for it and it doesn't show up under FIGURE for smart content and I can't remember the name.

I have to then go to the store and look up "Monsters" and find it that way, see the real name and type that in (sometimes the only working search) FILE and then once I find the file name or an individual bit of the product, navigate to that folder AND THEN look up THAT product's full name.

Some items begin with initials that are case sensitive.

Like D.A. and then product name.....I hate that.

I'd honetly love a way to sort the Wishlist and search by name there too.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229

I have the "internal" -- on my computer -- search problem as well... lots of stuff doesn't seem to show up. In the store, the most recent fumble I noticed was "billiards" and "pool". The latter keyword brings up all sorts of stuff (obviously), but just using "billiards" did not, in my experience, show all of the pool tables!