How do I map an image on to an object and remove the image background.

StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I want to map a photo of a candle flame on to an object but I get the background from around the flame as well.
I tried setting the Blend transparency to on in the Materials lab and clicking the first button in the Transparency
setting at the bottom but it didn't work.

I noticed in the Ivy Generator program that the leaf images have a white background and when used in Bryce the same settings
need to be applied to remove the white from around the leaf. Can I make a candle flame image that will show only
the flame and make the background transparent when loaded in to Bryce.
I use Photoshop a little but don't know how to do it.

I hope you can understand all this, I may even be confusing myself here.

Thanks for any ideas anyone may have.

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    I want to map a photo of a candle flame on to an object but I get the background from around the flame as well.
    I tried setting the Blend transparency to on in the Materials lab and clicking the first button in the Transparency
    setting at the bottom but it didn't work.

I noticed in the Ivy Generator program that the leaf images have a white background and when used in Bryce the same settings
    need to be applied to remove the white from around the leaf. Can I make a candle flame image that will show only
    the flame and make the background transparent when loaded in to Bryce.
    I use Photoshop a little but don't know how to do it.

I hope you can understand all this, I may even be confusing myself here.

Thanks for any ideas anyone may have.

Bryce has flame textures you can use .
    or if you want to use your own - try png file

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2013

You need to have an image with an alpha channel, as bigh says PNGs normally have their own alpha channel, or make an image and a matching trans map, white for where you want the flame and black for the rest, and feed that into the 2nd square in the texture image editor. and then blend trans

alpha_map_demo.jpg
    634 x 473 - 111K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,514
    edited December 1969

@StuartB4 - in Photoshop, you can brighten up the flame image and increase contrast so that the flame gets white and the rest black. Best strategy would be to make the original image monochrome (greyscale). Save that image and use it as alpha channel in the centre slot, as chohole shows above.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Thanks very much guys. I've started to understand now.
    I need to practice a bit more using photoshop, I normally only use it
    for editing, resizing and adjusting colours in photographs etc.

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated..