Rendering high gloss/stylised skin in 3delight

Looking at images in the attached style, it seems like a 3DL render, yet I can't work out how to get the reflections so crisp? Using studio environment maps and high gloss/reflectivty settings it seems to just be a subtle sheen at best, albeit with bright specular highlights. What are some tips to recreate this stylised look? Is it a geometry shell perhaps? Anyt help appreciated!

Gloss Render

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018

If it's 3DL, increase the glossiness of the surface.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 2017

In Iray, create a geometry shell, make all the non-skin surfaces invisible, and load one of the default water shaders to the skin surface.

It has been a REALLY long time since I've used 3DL, but I think it goes like this: Create a geometry shell, make all the surfaces invisible, and on the skin surfaces, turn off multiply through opacity, increase reflectivity, increase specularity strength, increase glossiness.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2017

You can also add a number of lights and use specular only (for each individual light in parameters pane/light/type). You can edit the intensity parameter to set limits off. A geometry shell is probably best as mentioned by agent unawares, but I think it's possible to adjust skinsettings to get that look too. Also set the shader mode for the skin/shell to glossy plastic in the surface pane. And you will most likely need something else in the scene to reflect if you up the reflection strenght. In the render you posted there is probably a primitive plane with ambience set to 100% white or more. The lower the glossiness the bigger hilights.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  •  

In Iray, create a geometry shell, make all the non-skin surfaces invisible, and load one of the default water shaders to the skin surface.

It has been a REALLY long time since I've used 3DL, but I think it goes like this: Create a geometry shell, make all the surfaces invisible, and on the skin surfaces, turn off multiply through opacity, increase reflectivity, increase specularity strength, increase glossiness.

What do you mean by making the surfaces invisible?

Also I have just assumed its 3DL, perhaps it is Iray? Is it possible to get those kinds of gloss looks in Iray without incredible render times? With a Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB graphics on a 2017 imac

•  

What do you mean by making the surfaces invisible?

Also I have just assumed its 3DL, perhaps it is Iray? Is it possible to get those kinds of gloss looks in Iray without incredible render times? With a Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB graphics on a 2017 imac

Sorry, no, you need an NVIDIA card to render GPU in Iray. What I mean by making the surfaces invisible is to turn off opacity completely.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2017

Made a quick one in 3DL using a geoshell with the Uber Surface shader and some AoA lights:

GlossyGirl.png
    1800 x 1350 - 2M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on