Terradome 3 Iray do you use it - do you like it

LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,929
edited December 2017 in The Commons

I'm thinking about getting terradome for some scenes I will do in the future where I need a bit of landscape. I never had the older version and have no experience with that system.

So I would like to know do you have terradome3 for Iray? Do you use it and like it?

Show me some of the renders you made with it, please

Thanks a lot!

Post edited by Linwelly on

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,367

Yes.

I use it quite a lot.

some of the renders I've done using Terradome 3

Another-World-2.jpg
    1200 x 400 - 159K
    Terradome-mountains.jpg
    1200 x 495 - 221K
    The-Middle-Of-Nowhere.jpg
    1500 x 927 - 202K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,929
    scorpio said:

Yes.

I use it quite a lot.

some of the renders I've done using Terradome 3

thanks a lot @scorpio , is it easy to use and make new shapes? are the textures that come with the original product enough or did you buy extras?

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited December 2017
    Linwelly said:

I'm thinking about getting terradome for some scenes I will do in the future where I need a bit of landscape. I never had the older version and have no experience with that system.

So I would like to know do you have terradome3 for Iray? Do you use it and like it?

Show me some of the renders you made with it, please

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

I love Terradome 3 and use it in many of my renders. I have purchased all of @mortemvetus add-ons during various sales throughout this past year and I try to pick Colm Jackson's add-ons when they are on sale, particularly his HDR Skies for Terradome 3 because they can be used without Terradome as IBL lighting.

I've included a link to a recent render using some Terradome 3 elements in my gallery at https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/458071. Hope this information helps. 

Trish

Edit: As for the questions you asked @Scorpio -- for me I use it frequently without any add-on packs (which I do have) and it is easy to create landscape morphs with the morph dials. Colm has a great YouTube video on how to use it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptMvYfkwAH8.

Post edited by Stormlyght on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

The way to think of Terradome is like thinking of it as a big flat character. You can’t really sculpt new shapes but each morph pack comes with a number of dialed ‘faces’ and mixing those can sort of generate new ‘characters.’ But you won’t ever be able to decide ‘I want a hill right here’ and just make that happen. I have at least one of the texture addons and use it often when I use Terradome. Pumping up the default displacement can help quite a bit. 

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 2017

I find Terradome 3 to be great for sweeping vistas, rollng planes, and images where the environment is meant to be both big in and of itself and a big part of the image.

I find it oversized when what I need is a couple of hills to provide a backdrop for a character portrait that happens to be outside.

Still reccomend it, though.

Dragon Lake sm.png
    960 x 540 - 787K
    Biala Character Pic.png
    800 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

I bought it and I really don't use it. Results are only okay for me, but the product is slow to render on my machine.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

I bought it and I really don't use it. Results are only okay for me, but the product is slow to render on my machine.

Same here. I found it to be resource heavy and useless when adding mulitple figures into the scene also. I actually returned it because of this. The product idea itself is great and it does work as advertised, it just didn't work for my uses as a background for a larger scene without killing my PC.

• I bought it and I really don't use it. Results are only okay for me, but the product is slow to render on my machine.

Same here. I found it to be resource heavy and useless when adding mulitple figures into the scene also. I actually returned it because of this. The product idea itself is great and it does work as advertised, it just didn't work for my uses as a background for a larger scene without killing my PC.

I think in particular the atmosphere settings are quite slow to render.

Thanks a lot everybody! This gives me a much better idea. The renders I've see are really nice, and do more convincing than the promos for me

The way to think of Terradome is like thinking of it as a big flat character. You can’t really sculpt new shapes but each morph pack comes with a number of dialed ‘faces’ and mixing those can sort of generate new ‘characters.’ But you won’t ever be able to decide ‘I want a hill right here’ and just make that happen. I have at least one of the texture addons and use it often when I use Terradome. Pumping up the default displacement can help quite a bit. 

This surely helps to imagine how it works, that was one thing I was wondering about. thanks a lot for that

This is what I was a bit afraid of, and I know that in my scenes I will have some other resource heavy stuff already, so that would make the whole process a bit over the top.

Thanks  for all the feedback, I guess I skip for now and piece my scenes together from other terrains I have

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Linwelly, you can always get it and see for yourself and then return it if needed.

Have you try Aako's dry Mud desert? https://www.daz3d.com/dry-mud-desert

It works great, very easy on resources, has an Iray version with several HDRI for sky and the textures are easy to customize in photoshop. i have jungle and snow versions I made

Linwelly, you can always get it and see for yourself and then return it if needed.

Have you try Aako's dry Mud desert? https://www.daz3d.com/dry-mud-desert

It works great, very easy on resources, has an Iray version with several HDRI for sky and the textures are easy to customize in photoshop. i have jungle and snow versions I made

I've been looking at that one as well, yes and I guess I'll try to go with it