Model with Shadow only (Problems)

2»

Comments

• I thought you were making a game. You have no game engine? What did you use to "glue the images together" the first time?

Clickfusion, but I can't add a shadow to each frame. I will have over 200 frames for one attack. That won't work.

But where is this going to end up - is Clickfusion it, or is it a staging post? If you want the shadow to interact with a background live (rather than having the whole figure plus background stored) then you need the final destination to support some kind of blending modes, or to have a built-in way to say certain parts of an image are shadow. We've been trying to give you advice but you haven't really explained what you need or what options you haev available.

• I thought you were making a game. You have no game engine? What did you use to "glue the images together" the first time?

Clickfusion, but I can't add a shadow to each frame. I will have over 200 frames for one attack. That won't work.

But where is this going to end up - is Clickfusion it, or is it a staging post? If you want the shadow to interact with a background live (rather than having the whole figure plus background stored) then you need the final destination to support some kind of blending modes, or to have a built-in way to say certain parts of an image are shadow. We've been trying to give you advice but you haven't really explained what you need or what options you haev available.

Wow, am I that bad on explaining. I am creating tiles for games. Forests,flowers, rocks ect ect, modules ect ect. I wanted my models (Transparent background ofc on them ) that I rendered to have a shadow that follow when they move around and hit with their weapons. But it seems like Daz3D stand alone does not support that at all. So, it looks like I must use models without shadows for my platform tiles.

• It's not a matter of what DS supports - it's a matter of what the engine you are using supports. If you just want strong directional shdows then you need a strong directional light, but of course that will chnage the look of your characters (unless you render twice, once with strong light for the shadow and once with ambient light for the figure, and combine the two in an image editor to make your tiles - something that should, in most image editors, be automatable). But does the game engine you are using allow shadows, however generated, to mix with the underlying ground tile? That will determine your approach - it may be that trying to get a realistic shadow isn't really going to work and you'd be better off with a more generic shadowy area around their feet.

• SeventhRoar666SeventhRoar666 Posts: 126
    edited December 2017

It's not a matter of what DS supports - it's a matter of what the engine you are using supports. If you just want strong directional shdows then you need a strong directional light, but of course that will chnage the look of your characters (unless you render twice, once with strong light for the shadow and once with ambient light for the figure, and combine the two in an image editor to make your tiles - something that should, in most image editors, be automatable). But does the game engine you are using allow shadows, however generated, to mix with the underlying ground tile? That will determine your approach - it may be that trying to get a realistic shadow isn't really going to work and you'd be better off with a more generic shadowy area around their feet.

I tried in just manga maker, which just put layers on layers, and it [messed] up even there.

edited for profanity

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Do you not have a basic image editor - GIMP is free and should, I believe, perform the basic tasks needed.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 2017

I thought you were making a game. You have no game engine? What did you use to "glue the images together" the first time?

If you can import an animation of your character, why can't you import a shadow animation also? I'm not following. Like Richard says, this is a game engine problem, not a DS problem. You should ask these guys how to do this, they'll be able to tell you how to use blending modes: https://community.clickteam.com/forum.php

I appreciate that you're still learning and frustrated, try to relax a little, what you want to do is possible, it just doesn't work the very simple method of stacking layers that you keep trying.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • SeventhRoar666SeventhRoar666 Posts: 126
    edited December 2017

I thought you were making a game. You have no game engine? What did you use to "glue the images together" the first time?

If you can import an animation of your character, why can't you import a shadow animation also? I'm not following. Like Richard says, this is a game engine problem, not a DS problem. You should ask these guys how to do this, they'll be able to tell you how to use blending modes: https://community.clickteam.com/forum.php

I appreciate that you're still learning and frustrated, try to relax a little, what you want to do is possible, it just doesn't work the very simple method of stacking layers that you keep trying.

Well, I will try Gimp to see if it is the engine that is wrong.

Alright, guys thanks. I always try out what i'm doing in manga maker because it's an easy way of seeing how something will look when it's done. I did not know that the engine itself could have different way of handeling shadows. When I applied them into Gimp it was fixed at once.

My problem is solved, thank you.

Thanks for taking your time to help me :), When I am done with my tiles and they are up for selling I will send you both one complete set yourself if you ever want to make your own platform game as thanks for this.

Moderator, you can apply solved on this post.

Post edited by SeventhRoar666 on