DIM and Daz Connect

I was looking through the Daz Connect FAQs but I don't understand how DIM and Daz Connect work together. Or do they work together? I like that I can stay logged-in while in Daz Studio, so I'd like to just have Daz Connect install and update my content. Last night, I opened up DIM (which I haven't done in a while) so I could install the Hexagon Beta on my laptop. Lo and behold, it appeared there were products that I had installed over the last few weeks using Daz Connect inside of Daz Studio sitting in the DIM waiting for me. Am I misunderstanding, or do I need to install from both DIM and Daz Connect?

I went ahead and installed from DIM last night... but now do I have duplicates of installed content somewhere?

Thank you.

Comments

• They don't - both install content, and both enter the content installed into the CMS, but you can't use Connect to update a DIM install by downloading only the changed files. However, as long as the DIM files are compressed (as installed or by using the Batch Convert pane) a Connect install of a product installed by DIM should copy across the local files rather than downloading a fresh copy, so the net result is the same (after which the DIM version should be uninstalled unless you don't mind duplication).

• DAZ Connect is fine if you want to be logged in all the time; many of us do not, so we use DIM. Also, using DIM allows those of us that own multiple DAZ applications that support DSON (the native file format) to use that content in all of them without problems. Now, to answer the question; yes, since Connect and DIM use different installation directories, you have two copies of your content installed.

• Connect requires a live connection only when downloading content, like DIM. However, it doesn't really have a way to keep all the content ready to install locally as needed (there are the Offline Installers, but they require manual management).

• OK. Thank you both for clearing that up for me. Hopefully, in the future, they'll talk to each other. I'd like DIM to know that I've already installed the content using Connect, you know. Otherwise, I'd have to keep track of it myself... I like the idea of Daz Studio keeping track of what is and is not installed. Honestly, I think DIM should be able to check with Connect and see if it has already installed the asset(s). I'd rather have it all done in Daz Studio through the interface instead of using DIM (unless whatever it is isn't compatible w/ Connect, of course).

Thanks again.

• DIM has several filters for this; the one you want is "Connect Installed".

• DIM has several filters for this; the one you want is "Connect Installed".

These are in the menu beside to the filter text box, assuming you have the Install Manager Default Filters installed. Those insert various pre-defined snippets into the filter box, if you are interested in how they work see http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/referenceguide/interface/filter_field/start

• Thank you! I'll have a look. Appreciate it.