Here's my problem with DAZ Pro Bundles

Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,763
edited December 2017 in The Commons

The other day I took a good look at Darius 8's Pro Bundle. That's when I realized how the Pro Bundles leave me unsatisfied. The price is high for me. In years gone by, I insisted that a character was incomplete if he/she didn't have "intimate body parts." But I've never used them. My people wear clothes. In my estimation, characters are not complete, or useable without head & body morphs, an expression and pose set. I don't really care for the assortment of clothes that come with Pro packages. I do like having Hair as part of the package.

Post edited by Ron Knights on

Comments

• I know what you're saying..what gets me are the expensive HD addons, especially for the newer figures. They are really pricey, even on sale. I really think the figures should have been made that way to begin with.. at least the head and body morphs are fairly inexpensive if you catch them on sale..

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

with Generation 4  You bought V4 (for example) and then also bought the Morphs++ package.

With the Genesis lines the morph packages are for the base genesis of whichever number.

So if you had the morphs package included in the Pro bundles then you would be paying for it several times, depending on how many of the base characters you bought for each generation of genesis.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

With the new facial rigging for expressions only extreme creature and cartoon characters need custom expressions.  I with you on wanting less clothing and more characters and textures set in the bundles

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,763

Thanks, everyone, for responding. Chohole, I hear you. Perhaps it would be a better idea for DAZ to setup some sort of deal which included the morphs along with the characters, as addons.

• Or perhaps there should be a "build your own bundle" sale on Saturdays...

• Thanks, everyone, for responding. Chohole, I hear you. Perhaps it would be a better idea for DAZ to setup some sort of deal which included the morphs along with the characters, as addons.

I seem to recall that head and body morphs were released on the same day as Victoria/Michael, at least in the last couple of generations, and had an extra discount if purchased at the same time.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Thanks, everyone, for responding. Chohole, I hear you. Perhaps it would be a better idea for DAZ to setup some sort of deal which included the morphs along with the characters, as addons.

The problem is, the bundles are for characters, not the base figure. If the morphs were included in every character pro bundle it would be highly redundant if you bought more than one pro bundle. Now if they made a base pro bundle with head, body, creature, muscle and expressions that would be a solution IMO. I have never purchased a pro bundle, mainly due to price and not being able to use half of what is included. The main attraction of betting a pro bundle is you get the genitals also, but I always get them at renderotica anyway since they are much better quality so I am not missing on those either.

I'm sure I might miss many special bundle deals. Unfortunately, I operate on a monthly income. I'm not always good with my money. If it's a bad month, I need to wait another month to buy something.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,618

What Chohole says about not having the morphs in the character pro bundles is right, but I agree the characters are a lot less useful without the morphs. One option might be to have a pro bundle for the base figure including the morphs, anatomical elements and some clothes and hair. Some of the characters have had expansion bundles, maybe the base figure could have one?

I'm pretty sure the bundles used to include extra textures for the clothes but these days you never get any texture addons in the bundles. I like to have texture options for most outfits and I have to but them seperatly. I suppose this is an example of Daz adjusting their sales to increase profits.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Well I get tired of the overemphasis of various nearly naked armor clothing or Goth crime horror clothing included with the pro bundles. At least most of it, with the protective addons removed, can double as nice swimwear or underwear. I do think with Genesis 8 that has improved somewhat. Oddly enough to get fully qualified superhero, supervillian, or actual fighting armor you have to buy them in a non-character bundle. None of those good things ever come with Pro Bundles. The time wasted on modeling slight variations of kneepads, elbowpads, and shoulderpads with sharp, dangerous metal spikes can be eliminated and spent on modeling functional dforce clothing instead. Like it or not, dforce is going to require more time testing and modeling to create functional dforce clothing.

And the overemphasis on unkempt and messy hair. The  hair doesn't actually look messy but simply lazily modeled.  It does.Darius 8  Pro Bundle actually has two believable hair products but that was mostly because you can't logically do a messy short Africa textured hair while Monique 8 still had one of her hairs be that confounded messy Pixy Style Redux although the Miranda hair is a step up from the usual.

Still the technology behind the bundles is much improved so if one can substitute decent hair styles then you have something.

So I don't mind & expect to buy the morph & expressions packages seperately but I'd like to see improved emphasis on believable kempt hair somewhat improved even though it is in some cases (mostly via separate from Pro Bundles purchases).

• while Monique 8 still had one of her hairs be that confounded messy Pixy Style Redux

Yes! This hairstyle already exists in so many tiny variations. I do think the one that came with Monique was one of the better ones, though.It has more believably individual strands going on.

I've been out of touch with DAZ products for awhile. I think maybe sometimes they offer special deals on morphs etc. Oh, and what's wrong with messy hair! Sorry, I couldn't resist! I got my new bifocals today... but they won't work for the computer!

New Eyeglasses.jpg
    1080 x 720 - 127K
  • GatorGator Posts: 1,294

I'm sure I might miss many special bundle deals. Unfortunately, I operate on a monthly income. I'm not always good with my money. If it's a bad month, I need to wait another month to buy something.

Welcome to the "I don't make as much money as I would like" club.  laugh

• GatorGator Posts: 1,294

I know what you're saying..what gets me are the expensive HD addons, especially for the newer figures. They are really pricey, even on sale. I really think the figures should have been made that way to begin with.. at least the head and body morphs are fairly inexpensive if you catch them on sale..

At the least, I wish they would release the HD morphs with the figure.

Still waiting for Sunny 7 HD morphs.  sad

I kinda wonder if on some figures, they see how sales go, and if the figure doesn't sell well enough it's off the drawing board?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

...I tend to just buy the base character to expand the "gene pool" as often Pro Bundles have clothing and morphs I'd rarely if ever use (which is why I'd be in favour of more BYOB offers).  I'm not concerned about the gens either as I do clothed characters as well.

Any BYOB I'd create, would be comprised primarily of hair, pose, and only clothing content I would I use.

I'm terrible. I've spent so much money in the past 17 years, and barely used a fraction of it all. I just get lost, tired, whatever, and walk away from my art for months or years at a time. Sometimes I get all excited about a project, only to find I don't have something I need, then get discouraged and walk away.