SCI-FI Celebration

Comments

• junkjunk Posts: 1,247
    edited October 2021

Bunker Work
    LINK TO THE GALLERY IMAGE

Not the most "Sci-Fi" but it is a future world where bunkers are our new homes.

Post edited by junk on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,534

junk said:

Bunker Work
    LINK TO THE GALLERY IMAGE

Not the most "Sci-Fi" but it is a future world where bunkers are our new homes.

It's all good.

Begin rant:

Dear PA's.  With only a few exceptions, I'm not impressed with the Starfighters I've seen in the Daz store or any other Daz related store.  The ones I like are displayed in this gallery.  It's mostly a style issue.  If you care (I doubt most of you do) to know what style I would buy, look no futher than:

• Robotech (Alpha Fighters from season 3 with sleeker cockpit. Think F22.  I already have jet fighters from Season 1.  Not a fan of 2.  Don't need to be transformable, but would be awesome.  Pleanty of reference marerial online.  The show is only on Funimation now with paid sub.).
    • Macross II, 7, Frontier, or Delta (all available on Youtube).
    • Star Blazers 2199 and 2202 (aka Battleship Yamato 2199 and 2202.  The show is currently free on Funimation). 

The starfighters in the Daz store and other stores selling Daz products are not sleek enough.  More often than not, they are too boxy or trying too hard (and failing) to look like Star Wars.  Some of the fighters even look like clones of each other.  Don't be so humg up on Western styles.  Branch out.  I've made the same complaints about mechs.  What makes me think I can say this too you?  99% of the products I buy are SciFi.  More and more, I'm looking elswhere. 

Dfire makes some cool spaceships and aircraft, but no good startfighers.  Love his new dropship.  Will defiantly get that.  Big fan of aliens.  I love Kibarreto's Shuttlestar and Jet Star (have both).  His startfighters, not so much.  The Pocketstar and Jet bike are missing something.  They don't do it for me.  I will probably pick up his Jetcarrier at some point. 

End Rant

• csaacsaa Posts: 812

@tkdrobert,

Yes, Yamato 2199! Knights of Sidonia would be a good reference. Of course there's Gundam too, particularly the Zeon mechs.

Have you shared your thoughts to the Product Suggestions forum?

Cheers!

tkdrobert said:

Begin rant:

Dear PA's.  With only a few exceptions, I'm not impressed with the Starfighters I've seen in the Daz store or any other Daz related store.  The ones I like are displayed in this gallery.  It's mostly a style issue.  If you care (I doubt most of you do) to know what style I would buy, look no futher than:

• Robotech (Alpha Fighters from season 3 with sleeker cockpit. Think F22.  I already have jet fighters from Season 1.  Not a fan of 2.  Don't need to be transformable, but would be awesome.  Pleanty of reference marerial online.  The show is only on Funimation now with paid sub.).
    • Star Blazers 2199 and 2202 (aka Battleship Yamato 2199 and 2202.  The show is currently free on Funimation). 

The starfighters in the Daz store and other stores selling Daz products are not sleek enough.  More often than not, they are too boxy or trying too hard (and failing) to look like Star Wars.  Some of the fighters even look like clones of each other.  Don't be so humg up on Western styles.  Branch out.  I've made the same complaints about mechs.  What makes me think I can say this too you?  99% of the products I buy are SciFi.  More and more, I'm looking elswhere. 

Dfire makes some cool spaceships and aircraft, but no good startfighers.  Love his new dropship.  Will defiantly get that.  Big fan of aliens.  I love Kibarreto's Shuttlestar and Jet Star (have both).  His startfighters, not so much.  The Pocketstar and Jet bike are missing something.  They don't do it for me.  I will probably pick up his Jetcarrier at some point. 

End Rant

csaa said:

@tkdrobert,

Yes, Yamato 2199! Knights of Sidonia would be a good reference. Of course there's Gundam too, particularly the Zeon mechs.

Cheers!

tkdrobert said:

Begin rant:

End Rant

As far as mecha are concerned yes.  As far as startfighters, I can't remember...probably  The mecha requests were completely ignored in favor of the same old western style mechs I complained we had too many of.  I figured any PA who watched this thread would be more inclined to listen, but I don't really have any hope.  I assume the PAs don't believe they will make any money, but they have not tried what I've suggested with any level of high quality, so how would they know?  All past attempts are not to the standard I'm speaking off, so of course they didn't make any money (or not enough).  I've seen some outstanding startfighters and mecha made in other programs.  I know that quality can be made in Daz because many other simular products are (I own some of them). 

I can't afford the other programs and I don't have time to learn Blender or learn modeing.  Hopefully, when I retire, if I'm healthly, I can learn to model and my my own stuff.  If that happens, I'll cease to be a customer of the PA's and become a PA.   

• tkdrobert said:

csaa said:

@tkdrobert,

Cheers!

tkdrobert said:

Begin rant:

End Rant

As far as mecha are concerned yes.  As far as startfighters, I can't remember...probably  The mecha requests were completely ignored in favor of the same old western style mechs I complained we had too many of.  I figured any PA who watched this thread would be more inclined to listen, but I don't really have any hope.  I assume the PAs don't believe they will make any money, but they have not tried what I've suggested with any level of high quality, so how would they know?  All past attempts are not to the standard I'm speaking off, so of course they didn't make any money (or not enough).  I've seen some outstanding startfighters and mecha made in other programs.  I know that quality can be made in Daz because many other simular products are (I own some of them). 

I can't afford the other programs and I don't have time to learn Blender or learn modeing.  Hopefully, when I retire, if I'm healthy, I can learn to model and my my own stuff.  If that happens, I'll cease to be a customer of the PA's and become a PA.   

Way back... (like 15+ years ago) I had Lightwave, 3D Studio Max, Strata 3D (still have Strata) and even had access to a full copy of Maya for about 18 months. And, of course, I now have Hexagon... Even though I did some modeling and made a few specialty props that I needed for work I was doing, I found out pretty quickly that modeling figures and complex props weren't rewarding for me because it was taking time away from making illustrations and telling stories, which is what I wanted to focus on. If you guys have a specific model or ship you want to use, I'm afraid you will probably have to model them yourselves (or hire someone to do it for you).

I guess there's no point to this story – definitely no moral – other than, "good luck with it. I tried it and found it really wasn't something I wanted to do."

• Man, I hate this cliche, but I definitely feel your pain. Back in 2001-2004, I was illustrating a Wild West miniatures game and needed a lot of cowboy outfits and buildings. And way back then, there wasn't much available. I kept having to kitbash Medieval buildings and props to fill out my scenes (fortunately, work wagons, barrels and stools haven't really changed that much over the past 800 years or so).

Nowadays, I've got a whole Runtime devoted to the Wild West, but find I'm coming up short when it comes to finding Spaceships that match the Space Opera ascetic I'm looking for.

So, telling the PAs what you're looking for is definitely a good idea. Hopefully, over the next few years, people will start making stuff that is closer to what you want.

mmitchell_houston said:

tkdrobert said:

csaa said:

@tkdrobert,

Cheers!

tkdrobert said:

Begin rant:

End Rant

I can't afford the other programs and I don't have time to learn Blender or learn modeing.  Hopefully, when I retire, if I'm healthy, I can learn to model and my my own stuff.  If that happens, I'll cease to be a customer of the PA's and become a PA.   

Way back... (like 15+ years ago) I had Lightwave, 3D Studio Max, Strata 3D (still have Strata) and even had access to a full copy of Maya for about 18 months. And, of course, I now have Hexagon... Even though I did some modeling and made a few specialty props that I needed for work I was doing, I found out pretty quickly that modeling figures and complex props weren't rewarding for me because it was taking time away from making illustrations and telling stories, which is what I wanted to focus on. If you guys have a specific model or ship you want to use, I'm afraid you will probably have to model them yourselves (or hire someone to do it for you).

I guess there's no point to this story – definitely no moral – other than, "good luck with it. I tried it and found it really wasn't something I wanted to do."

I've dabbled with Hexagon,Blender, and Sketchup.  I don't think it's something I can learn without taking formal classes.

mmitchell_houston said:

Man, I hate this cliche, but I definitely feel your pain. Back in 2001-2004, I was illustrating a Wild West miniatures game and needed a lot of cowboy outfits and buildings. And way back then, there wasn't much available. I kept having to kitbash Medieval buildings and props to fill out my scenes (fortunately, work wagons, barrels and stools haven't really changed that much over the past 800 years or so).

Nowadays, I've got a whole Runtime devoted to the Wild West, but find I'm coming up short when it comes to finding Spaceships that match the Space Opera ascetic I'm looking for.

So, telling the PAs what you're looking for is definitely a good idea. Hopefully, over the next few years, people will start making stuff that is closer to what you want.

One can only hope.

I'm going to post an image that gives an example of Captital Ships and Starfighters I like.  Still working on it.

Here we go:

Space Patrol III

These are some awesome looking ships.  The designs are all based off the Space Battleship Yamato 2202 series, a.k.a. Star Blazers.  For the starfighters, the lead fighter is my favorite.  It's based off the Cosmo Zero.  The actual design in the newest show is even cooler.   The Cosmo Tiger II from the 2202 series is wonderful.  The back two fighters are cool as hell, but not perfect.  They never appeared in any of the shows.  The models are not rigged and have no landing gear.  Also, I'd make the bottom intake smaller and move the cockpit forward.  It's based on the WWII Mustang, which is why I like it though.  The lead startfigher is free and available though VanishingPoint (Poser and Daz formats).  The back fighter is available on cgshare.com and is also free (Poser section), but see below for my caviate. 

All of the models except the Cosmo Zero were created by Don Gaiser (https://www.deviantart.com/xzarno).  The Capital Ships are not available to the public anymore.  Originally, they were not created for Poser or Daz.  They were converted to Daz format and the guns rigged by Chris (https://www.deviantart.com/theschell).  I had to get permission from Don to use the models, then get my hands on them.  In order to use the models, I have to give Don credit everytime.  This is not an unreasonable request, but inconvienant, which is 1 reason I don't use them as much, even though I love them.  I can't redistribute the models, so don't ask.  I don't know who converted the Mustang fighter and put it up, but Don wants credit for that one too.  Same goes for the free Poser model of the Yamato available on cgshare.com (Not 100% acurate.  I realized this after using it a few times and rewatching the series.  The nose of the ship is too long).

Don doesn't seem to make models anymore.  Chris sold all his models (transforming Mecha and more) to VanishingPoint and now only makes stuff for himself when he makes anything at all.  Are you seeing my frustration yet?  The two guys who know how to make the stype of stuff I like are basically retired from making models.

tkdrobert said:

Don doesn't seem to make models anymore.  Chris sold all his models (transforming Mecha and more) to VanishingPoint and now only makes stuff for himself when he makes anything at all.  Are you seeing my frustration yet?  The two guys who know how to make the stype of stuff I like are basically retired from making models.

@tkdrobert,

Yes, these are impressive models. I looked at VanishingPoint and the mecha and starfighters there definitely have a late 80s vibe to them. Don and Chris were certainly big fans of the Macross/Robotech franchise. I get why you feel a loss that we don't see such variety at the Daz marketplace.

On that matter, how hard is it for a PA to produce a mecha based on the G8 figures for example? I've been using Daz for about two years now, and I'm beginning to wonder what skills and know how are needed.

Cheers!

csaa said:

tkdrobert said:

@tkdrobert,

Yes, these are impressive models. I looked at VanishingPoint and the mecha and starfighters there definitely have a late 80s vibe to them. Don and Chris were certainly big fans of the Macross/Robotech franchise. I get why you feel a loss that we don't see such variety at the Daz marketplace.

On that matter, how hard is it for a PA to produce a mecha based on the G8 figures for example? I've been using Daz for about two years now, and I'm beginning to wonder what skills and know how are needed.

Cheers!

@DZFIRE is the man to ask about that.  He has made several human sized robots based on the G8 figures.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    On that note, six piloted mechs are in post production.
    edited October 2021

@tkdrobert,

Thanks! I'll try to follow up to learn more about G8 mechs.

In the meantime, here's my contribution to this thread of yours on sci fi renders. I've been interested in cel shading and this scene came to my mind. It started with an idea about the French Foreign Legion ... then a solitary patrol at planetary outpost (Tatooine? Maybe. Do they have ravens there?). After a few iterations, this is what I settled on.

The assets are from Daz. I exported them to Blender where I applied the shader and rendered it there.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on

DzFire said:

On that note, six piloted mechs are in post production.I'll keep an eye out for them.  Good

@Dzfire, I'll keep an eye out for them.  Good job on your recent spacecraft.

csaa said:

@tkdrobert,

Thanks! I'll try to follow up to learn more about G8 mechs.

In the meantime, here's my contribution to this thread of yours on sci fi renders. I've been interested in cel shading and this scene came to my mind. It started with an idea about the French Foreign Legion ... then a solitary patrol at planetary outpost (Tatooine? Maybe. Do they have ravens there?). After a few iterations, this is what I settled on.

The assets are from Daz. I exported them to Blender where I applied the shader and rendered it there.

Cheers!

Nice, I heard Blender was being used by a major Anime Studio.  One day I might figure it out. 

Agent Scully

I was a fan of the X-Files back in the day, but not really anymore.  Still love Agent Scully / Gillian Anderson though.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,282

I've been on a tear of Shadowrun-themed renders.

Sideways

The Drop

Self Extraction

• junkjunk Posts: 1,247

Memorial
    MEMORIAL - LINK TO THE GALLERY

She'd love the one you picked.  It wouldn't matter if it was the wrong color or if all the petals of the oleander were missing.  She'd love it because she loves you. 

NOTES: Here we see a father and his daughter returning to the place they lost her on the memorial date of the event. The daughter has worn a special red outfit and even put a flower in her hair for her mothers love of oleander flowers before they set the flowers free to flow away in the lake.

junk said:

Memorial
    MEMORIAL - LINK TO THE GALLERY

She'd love the one you picked.  It wouldn't matter if it was the wrong color or if all the petals of the oleander were missing.  She'd love it because she loves you. 

NOTES: Here we see a father and his daughter returning to the place they lost her on the memorial date of the event. The daughter has worn a special red outfit and even put a flower in her hair for her mothers love of oleander flowers before they set the flowers free to flow away in the lake.

Well done.

Get off My Planet

N7 Day 2021

• solisphotographysolisphotography Posts: 39
    edited November 2021

My contribution to sci-fi renders

Post edited by solisphotography on

solisphotography said:

My contribution to sci-fi renders

Nice.  Cool lighting effects.

•  

guru20 said:SNice... how are you getting the painterly (watercolor?) effect?

Sorry for the delay in answering, I didn't see this till today. I used Painter Essentials.

tkdrobert said:

@tkdrobert,

I saw this sale today -- "75% OFF* Select Items by Kibarreto when you buy any ‘Fantasy or Sci-Fi’ New Release." The ships here may be the ones you're looking for.

Cheers!

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,488

Mmmmmm, Kibarreto at 75% off. Yes please! I just put a dent into my wishlist to the tune off $140. Got practically all of his stuff I've ever wanted. Perfect gear for world building for a comic or graphical novel.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

...speaking of Kibarreto, here is my take on Luxurystar...

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 878
    edited November 2021

Ad astra per pecunia.

It's a container freighter, after all.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on