Understanding Content

ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
edited December 2017 in The Commons
In my long journey of trying to understand content management, my next effort is trying to understand all the places that a scene file goes to to find what it needs to render a scene. And since I usually use some of my own texture images in a scene, one of the locations is my texture folder which is located in c:/runtime/textures..., which I think is left over from Carrara, which I stopped using long ago. So aside from that, does Studio use a Runtime for anything, or can I just get rid of it and move my textures someplace else? But then I'll break all the references in my existing scenes. ARRGH.
Post edited by ebergerly on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393

DS uses the Runtime for 2 things:

• loading content in Poser format
    • textures for content in DS format ==> this convention was chosen so that textures were not duplicated for content where you had both DS and Poser versions

Geometry, UVs, morph data... for DS-format content (including saved scenes) will be located in the data folder.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    Thanks. So if everything in that runtime is old Carrara stuff I dont need (I recall Carrara stuff doesnt work in Studio?) cant I just trash it?

DS can't use content in Carrara format (.car), but if it's under Runtime it's probably poser-format content.

When you use poser-format content in DS and save a scene, the content (except textures) will be converted to DS "data" files, so you don't need the original poser files anymore (beside textures) when reopening the scene, unless you lose the data files for whatever reason.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Carrara's own content (and sets designed specifically for Carrara) are stored within the Carrara program folder and its subdirectories (as installed by DIM). Anything that's in a Runtime structure is most likely designed either for Poser or for DS. (unless it's all stuff you created yourself)

While Carrara files aren't usable in Studio, Poser and Studio files are (for the most part) usable in Carrara. So I'd recommend double checking that anything you find in a runtime isn't something you might actually want to keep.

I think 90% of the stuff in my runtime folder is stuff I bought in the DAZ store to use in Carrara. Like V4 stuff etc. And props and clothing. So if the .car scene files arent usable in Studio what about all the other stuff? Can I drag and drop the old V4 into Studio?
    BTW my fuzzy memory of Carrara is that you tell it where the runtime is with your installed content (Add Runtime), and I dont recall a Carrara specfic folder.

Yes, V4 and her content will work in DS.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,128
    edited December 2017

You may have bought it with the intent to use in Carrara, but the content was made in Poser format.  The Runtime folder is a legacy of when Daz made the millenium figures (Victoria 1 and Michael 1) to be used in Poser.  At that time, Daz Studio did not exist.  Runtime = Poser.  Studio can read it.  Carrara can read it.  But runtime is NOT the native format of Carrara.  In terms of Runtime, Studio and Carrara are in the same boat.  Can read runtimes because can load and render old Poser content.

Daz Documentation Center says....

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/poser/poser-misc41

ebergerly said:
    I think 90% of the stuff in my runtime folder is stuff I bought in the DAZ store to use in Carrara. Like V4 stuff etc.
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    Really? Cool. Though its doesnt have the iray stuff. I dunno, part of me wants to just trash that runtime and just use the new Studio stuff. Though there are some .car scenes I'd like to use, but I guess Id have to redo from scratch in Studio
    Thanks Diomede. But after scrolling endlessly thru the docs you referenced its even more incentive to just trash the old stuff and not try to figure all of that out

The journey is as long or as short as you want it to be.  We don't need to know the specifics of Runtimes for Daz Studio to use them, but if you ever want to know about the Runtime structure, the above link to the documentation center will still be there.

ebergerly said:
    In my long journey of trying to understand content management, my next effort is trying to understand all the places that a scene file goes to to find what it needs to render a scene. And since I usually use some of my own texture images in a scene, one of the locations is my texture folder which is located in c:/runtime/textures..., which I think is left over from Carrara, which I stopped using long ago. So aside from that, does Studio use a Runtime for anything, or can I just get rid of it and move my textures someplace else? But then I'll break all the references in my existing scenes. ARRGH.

And I guess the other consideration is that most of that V4-era content will only fit V4. And personally I think G3 is vastly better than V4, for the skin shaders and much better morphs. Though it would be nice to have some of the V4 clothing, but I assume there isn't a V4 to G3 fitter thingy?
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,349
    ebergerly said:
    And I guess the other consideration is that most of that V4-era content will only fit V4. And personally I think G3 is vastly better than V4, for the skin shaders and much better morphs. Though it would be nice to have some of the V4 clothing, but I assume there isn't a V4 to G3 fitter thingy?

Yes there is:

https://www.daz3d.com/wear-them-all-autofitting-clones-and-clothing-smoothers-for-genesis-3-male-s

https://www.daz3d.com/wear-them-all-autofitting-clones-and-clothing-smoothers-for-genesis-3-female-s

And if you want to use even older generation 3 clothing (M3, V3 etc) there is this:

https://www.daz3d.com/wear-them-all-autofit-clones-expansion-for-genesis-3-male-s-and-genesis-3-female-s

Or alternatively do as I do, and use Gen X or the transfer utilities to move the shapes to Genesis 3 and/or Genesis 8 and create you own clones. That is how I got a V4/A3 etc clones into Genesis 8, even though these are not yet available as commercial products.

Really? Wow thanks. Looks like I'll be busy this weekend
  • Diomede said:

That'sa  really old page moved over from the long-defunct ArtZone wiki - DS and Poser have long since ceased to use the application folder for content (indeed DS has always been able to avoid it) so there's bad information at the start, I didn't read the erst but if it's Poser 4 vintage there are likely to be quite a few other sections that are behind the times. Also, please don't copy the text of a page rather than linking to it.

It isn't just clothing.  Many models of vehicles, furniture, tableware, tools, electronics, etc. are in the Poser (runtime) format.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    ebergerly said:
    Really? Cool. Though its doesnt have the iray stuff. I dunno, part of me wants to just trash that runtime and just use the new Studio stuff. Though there are some .car scenes I'd like to use, but I guess Id have to redo from scratch in Studio

.car scenes can be exported as obj (or multiple obj files if you want separate props) and imported into Studio, and from there it's mostly a matter of plugging in the texture maps. You may find some things need to be rigged (doors in buildings perhaps), but that's a pretty straightforward process in the current DS, and there are lots of tutorials for it on YouTube etc. Most of the products in my store were made in Carrara and exported to DS in just that way.

OK - but the information was offered as history, addressing the OP's first post which referred to the origin of Runtimes, and which programs Runtimes were designed for. 

Diomede said:

That'sa  really old page moved over from the long-defunct ArtZone wiki - DS and Poser have long since ceased to use the application folder for content (indeed DS has always been able to avoid it) so there's bad information at the start, I didn't read the erst but if it's Poser 4 vintage there are likely to be quite a few other sections that are behind the times. Also, please don't copy the text of a page rather than linking to it.

What about V4 character morphs? Can those be transferred to a G3?
  • Kev914Kev914 Posts: 1,109
    Havos said:
    ebergerly said:

Yes there is:

https://www.daz3d.com/wear-them-all-autofitting-clones-and-clothing-smoothers-for-genesis-3-male-s

https://www.daz3d.com/wear-them-all-autofitting-clones-and-clothing-smoothers-for-genesis-3-female-s

And if you want to use even older generation 3 clothing (M3, V3 etc) there is this:

https://www.daz3d.com/wear-them-all-autofit-clones-expansion-for-genesis-3-male-s-and-genesis-3-female-s

Or alternatively do as I do, and use Gen X or the transfer utilities to move the shapes to Genesis 3 and/or Genesis 8 and create you own clones. That is how I got a V4/A3 etc clones into Genesis 8, even though these are not yet available as commercial products.

But I thought that Gen X2 didn't work with the Genesis 8 characters.

• Trash V4 stuff, are you kidding me?  I use converted V4 skins, morphs, and poses on G8. And just yesterday, I fit some old Aery Soul outfits to Genesis, saved out as wearable presets and fit them to G8. All my stuff is usable.

Trash V4 stuff, are you kidding me?  I use converted V4 skins, morphs, and poses on G8. And just yesterday, I fit some old Aery Soul outfits to Genesis, saved out as wearable presets and fit them to G8. All my stuff is usable.

Thanks Alliekatblue. But doesn't G8 get cooties from all the V4 stuff? Oh wait, does anyone else remember "cooties"?

I only really use DS these days, but I would say half the non-people content I use is in Poser format, be it content from here, or from other stores/freebies. I certainly would not wish to lose that.

ebergerly said:
    What about V4 character morphs? Can those be transferred to a G3?

Morphs can be transfered to G3 using Dimension3D's GenX2 program and its add-ons.

For the texture you would need this: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-3-v4/113767/

This could be good. I've got some V4 hair and shoes I've wanted to bring over. Cool. Thanks.
    BTW what are clones?
  • ebergerly said:

Trash V4 stuff, are you kidding me?  I use converted V4 skins, morphs, and poses on G8. And just yesterday, I fit some old Aery Soul outfits to Genesis, saved out as wearable presets and fit them to G8. All my stuff is usable.

Thanks Alliekatblue. But doesn't G8 get cooties from all the V4 stuff? Oh wait, does anyone else remember "cooties"?
    ebergerly said:

Not really, the shoes mostly. But if you first fit the clothes to Genesis and then save as a preset, you can then fit to G8.  Then just tweek and smooth. And yes, I remember cooties. I just fit Ava Adore (old Aery Soul item) to G8 and it looks smashing

Clones are a special kind of morph used for autofit or morph transfer. It's roughly a morph made to have the target figure look like the source figure, which is used to compute the "difference" between the two base shapes..

Basically autofit works in two steps:

1. Alter the mesh of the clothes made for source figure so that it fits the target figure ==> that's where clone is used.
    2. Automatically rig the altered mesh to conform to the target figure ==> this step uses what is called a "projection template," which will apply a default rigging to the new mesh. You can have different types of templates corresponding to different types of items (eg for dress, pants, bodysuit, hair...).

"SY Ultra templates" are a good purchase if you plan to autofit clothes as they will provide you with additional projection templates.

Remember for a lot of hair, particularly long hair, you are better off just positioning/scaling the hair to fit the new figure, and then parenting it to the head. This is really easier than it sounds, as most human heads are pretty much the same shape.

Autofitting hair is nice though, as it follows a figure's head shape, should you morph it, but the main downside of autofitting is any special bones in the hair are lost, which is mostly irrelevant for short hair, but very relevant for longer hair. Autofitting does however retain the hair morphs.

Thanks. For me, if it's props or clothing I'll generally make them myself in Blender, and maybe texture in Substance Painter. I much prefer cloth-simmed clothing than rigged. And I like to design and build stuff the way I want. But rigged characters, shoes and hair I'll just buy because they're too much work. So I guess this weekend Ill be deciding what to save and migrate, and just toss the rest.