Help with graphics

Hello. I'm new to Daz & started messing around a little to try & understand how things work. I tried adding stuff (clothes, hair, etc.) & noticed these items seem different than they should. The hair is semi-transparent, the skin looks different than the image and so on... I saw online that you can use the spot render to see how things will look at the end & found out the shirt is a bit shiny, the skin is lighter & the brown hair I chose has blond highlights. Is there a way to improve the graphics or something to see the figure better without using the spot render tool?

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018
    edited December 2017

What figure are you using? What surface materials? What you describe looks like you are either using 3Delight materials in an Iray render, or have the camera headlamp set to "on", or even both.

To check the surface settings, select the figure in the scene tab, then change to the surface tab and select the material. If the listing starts out with "Plastic" as Material type, then you  are using most likely 3Delight shaders.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • littlemateo1littlemateo1 Posts: 2
    edited December 2017

I used the basic genesis model with the WildMane hair (I currently only have the essentials you get when downloading Daz). I now see I picked the "brown blond mix" material instead of the simple brown one, but going back & forth between the two, there is no apparent difference. I only saw the difference in colors (the addition of the blond) when using the spot render tool.

As for the surface, I followed your instructions & under "lighting model" it says plastic (when choosing the genesis figure) & matte (when choosing the WildMane hair). Lighting model is the only place under the surfaces tab where I saw plastic/matte/etc. as an option.

Post edited by littlemateo1 on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018

"Basis Genesis Model" as in, Genesis 1?

And yes, you are using 3Delight materials, and there weren't Iray materials done for that generation. They would render perfectly id you'd switched to 3Delight as render engine. However, that means that the surface and/or the mesh (with hair) wasn't contructed for Iray.

There are several options, depending on how much time/money you wish to invest.

One - render in 3delight instead of Iray when using any model from before Genesis 3. Or, only use figures that come with Iray texture, so nothing younger than G3

Two - learn how to manually convert Iray surfaces. There are some really good threads here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56788/iray-start-here#latest

Three - use several "helpers" to give you a head start in the transfer between 3DL and Iray. A few examples, though there ar evarious products in the shop made for conversion,

Here's an example of changing clothing from 3DL to Iray: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/211501/making-legacy-outfits-look-real#latest

Here's an example of using the skin converter: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/205386/iray-skin#latest

As for the preview, I wouldn't depend on it. The preview mode interprets materials different from the actual rendering; if you us certain Iray presets it could even turn to green.

Have you downloaded any of the other Genesis generations Starter essentials (2, 3 and 8)?