My dynamic hair presentation

I thought i will show my dynamic haircuts i've made in Carrara.

This is my second haircut for V4.2 figure

for octane render the hair needs a few adjustments as it renders the dynamic hair a bit different than carrara native render.

001.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 668K
002.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 643K
003.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 620K
004.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 633K
005.jpg
1280 x 720 - 226K
006.jpg
1280 x 720 - 215K
007.jpg
1280 x 720 - 209K

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Looks cool - good idea to have a dedicated thread.

• PhilW said:

Looks cool - good idea to have a dedicated thread.

thanks a lot! :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Will be following along with great interest.  Off to a very good start.  Nice styling.  Will you be discussing hair shaders as well?

• Diomede said:

Will be following along with great interest.  Off to a very good start.  Nice styling.  Will you be discussing hair shaders as well?

The shaders is always a question of the renderer you like to use, carrara native renderer seems to render the image like it's displayed while octane renders it differently why i would use different settings for native and external renderer.
    So octane have difficulty to render a color gradient, it even won't render the exactly choosen color like the native render does.
    For Octane renderer i mostly use PhilW's octane hair shaders which are just great to work with.

Diomede said:

Diomede said:

For Octane renderer i mostly use PhilW's octane hair shaders which are just great to work with.

So you're the one who bought it!  Just joking, although as it was aimed at Octane users amongst the Carrara users, it was always going to be a small market.  Really pleased that you are using them and getting good results with them.

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 2017
    PhilW said:
    Diomede said:

Diomede said:

So you're the one who bought it!  Just joking, although as it was aimed at Octane users amongst the Carrara users, it was always going to be a small market.  Really pleased that you are using them and getting good results with them.

The shaders helped me a lot, when i used octane and dynamic hair for the first time the results wasn't really good so one option was using the octane shaders but i wasn't really familiar with them (i'm still not yet but find my way through :) so the other option was your hair shaders which are just great, i like to use a mix of both, two dynamic hairs with different hair counts but one with carrara shaders and one with octane shaders, that gives sometimes a nice mix.

Another one with the new haircut + two eyebrow piercings i've made long time ago.
    (left piercing was with shader settings that worked better with octane)

001.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 289K
    Post edited by Chris Fox Art on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Really, REALLY cool! Bravo! yes

• Another short haircut just finished yesterday

003.jpg
    1280 x 1332 - 624K
    005.jpg
    1280 x 1332 - 471K
    006.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 700K
    007.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 630K
    008.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 657K
  • the same hair a bit longer

001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 729K
    002.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 695K
    003.jpg
    1280 x 1332 - 622K
  • one of my dynamic hair's i've made some days ago.

i think the hair cut turned out pretty nice :)

Lovely hair and render!

• thanks a lot! :)
    i think the hair shader i've used there was from your hair shaders package
    that shows how great they are! :)

hair shader.jpg
    656 x 785 - 297K
  • This is a test of a new technique i would like to test, it takes a lot more time to do this (the normal haircut i've made for this was finished in about 30 mins, this one i am sitting on about 60 mins right now and still not finished yet).
    But i wanted to test a few new things out, this will give me more control over the hairstyle and the strands, haircount and so on.
    I know i could use hair groups for this but for some reason it seem to be that octane don't like lots of hairgroups, so i'm doing it this way.
    At the end if all goes well i will just group all hairgroups together that it can be easily applied to any V4 figure.
    If i am happy with what i've get i will sure make a new Version of my Fauxhair i've already done for Genesis 2.

Hair test.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 261K
  • This was the Genesis 2 Fauxhawk i've made but wasn't really happy with the outcome, so i will do another one :)

faux.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 249K
  • My first test for dynamic hair on a hair cap, still lots of work yet (i still prefer the work on the figure more)
    On this i also try out something new to create hair but as this takes a lot of time i don't think that i will often do the hair that way i do now.

001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 728K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Love how your hair projects are coming together... well done. I really like the haircut on the model in the red top!  More please  yeslaugh Silene

• these are a few haircuts i would like to test out with dynamic hair, the first one with long hair seem to be pretty easy but i'm actually not that sure how i get the root a bit straight while the tip will be a bit curled.

2ef906834f462a32070fff2b718ea535.jpg
    564 x 752 - 43K
    14-black-stacked-bob.jpg
    500 x 503 - 41K
    15-best-short-asian-hairstyles-men-is-compatible-with-2016.jpg
    675 x 631 - 191K
    20-faux-hawk-inspired-hairstyles-you-must-try-7.jpg
    500 x 645 - 42K
    26-2.jpg
    675 x 717 - 44K
    222.png
    400 x 500 - 259K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

these are a few haircuts i would like to test out with dynamic hair, the first one with long hair seem to be pretty easy but i'm actually not that sure how i get the root a bit straight while the tip will be a bit curled.

When you choose the wave feature in the shader room... there are x, y and amplitude, and percentages to choose from.  I have often looked at PhilW's settings to see what effect his wave settings achieve, then work from there. If I just experimented on my own, I'd be faffing around for ever.

wink Silene

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452

these are a few haircuts i would like to test out with dynamic hair, the first one with long hair seem to be pretty easy but i'm actually not that sure how i get the root a bit straight while the tip will be a bit curled.

If you are really trying to replicate the first, good luck. In principle the curl at the end can be achieved by varying the root frequency vs tip frequency, but in actuality those already start at maximal separation (0% and 100%, respectively). You can get something that is sort of like it, by using kink and reducing tip frequency and using clump and reducing the rate. You can do a bit with the 'model' room as well using the pointer tool and selecting the tip node and moving it up. Playing with stiffness will give you different results (limp noodle vs rigid).

The second one should be fairly easy, just set up some guides. For the back you will want to use the shorten tool.

The third is more interesting: you can either use two hairs or use multiple hair groups. In the latter case name one 'crop' and another 'hawk'. I used a length of 0.33, but its been so long I messed up set the crop first. Don't do that. Paint where you want the hair to grow for the 'hawk' hair group (better control but more involved, use a texture map). Increase segments to something like 12. Hair count to 10,000. Setup guide hairs at the rear part and along the edges. Pull the guides so the hair grows roughly how you want it. Don't worry about the clumping or anything else, just overall hair growth. Switch to the 'crop' hair group and paint all over where there's hair (I overlapped with the hawk, just a habit of working with animal fur and blending) and add left, right and rear guide hairs. Pull them down and back. Use the length tool to drop them to something like 0.04. Increase hair count to maybe 50,000.

Use two hair textures, one for the 'hawk' and one for the 'crop'. The crop texture doesn't really matter so much, but for the hawk texture set the hair length to vary a bit and use some clumping.

Tweak as desired: maybe you like longer hairs, or a different number, etc.

The fourth one you show cannot be done with dynamic hair -- at least not as depicted. There is always a smooth transition from the root color to the tip color. I would do this one like the third, but the "crop" group would be "sides" and not overlap with the "hawk". The styling itself is extreme in (for carrara's dynamic hair) a good way. Rely on guides to achieve the look.

The fifth one you show is much like the third: use two hair groups, but in this case leave the "crop" group longer and work in the part.

The last one requires careful use of guides to maintain the part or use separate groups. In that case make sure to turn off overlapping. It looks like you can get away with using one texture for both.

In general with dynamic I like to use clumb with low clump and high variation. Make use of the "push" tool. If you want the hairs gathered into clumps low to the scalp increase the clump rate. If you are going for a low-res shot you can try using a lower number of hairs with a high scale and set the tip size to 1% or less, but for hair of any length you will want to use a reasonable number of segments because each segment is a single solid color based on where it falls between root and tip.

Carrara defaults to 'large' at scale 2. For this sort of hair I switch it to medium at scale 1.

Hair1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 44K
    Hair3-1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 103K
  • Thanks a lot for the informations!
    I'll try and play around a bit with the settings and see what i will get out :)

• Just a little test render of my new haircut and new character Leyla.
    The hair is very simple style.
    The second image is with my bob hairstyle.

001.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 234K
    009.jpg
    2202 x 2087 - 2M
  • new hair :)

013.jpg
    2202 x 2087 - 1M
    014.jpg
    2202 x 2087 - 1M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Always a pleasure to see how your projects are doing.  Cool styling.