dforce much improved in latest Daz Studio public build

HavosHavos Posts: 5,349

I have only recently started working with dForce, and in the previous version (4.10.0.107) I had installed, it worked pretty well on the whole, but suffered from relatively frequent explosions, particularly when the figure was wearing multiple layers of dynamic clothing.

With the lastest release of DS 4.10.0.123 (which I installed yesterday), it has improved significantly, and with my initial tests so far I have not had any clothing explosions. I am sure many users of the beta versions have seen these improvements already, but for those that prefer to stick to the stable public build I would recommend upgrading.

I have been very happy with dForce so far. It works so much better than the old Optitex plug in. It has the following improvements over that:

1) Much faster, at least on my machine (I have a single GTX 1080Ti). Simulations typically need just a few seconds to run, as opposed to minutes with Optitex

2) Works on any clothing, albeit with varying results for older stuff.

3) You can still morph the figure, or even change the pose following simulation, which was not possible at all with Optitex.

There are still a few problems, and you have to be carefully how it is posed, but overall I am very happy with this new dynamic engine.

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153
    edited December 2017

One will always have to take care in posing, no matter what program you simulate cloth in: mesh doesn't like to be pinched between other mesh ;). It can't move out of the way or compress like real fabric and muscle can. At least, not yet ;)

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I'm glad to hear this. I will try a scene I recently rendered that dForce worked pretty good but had poke through in places.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,349

I'm glad to hear this. I will try a scene I recently rendered that dForce worked pretty good but had poke through in places.

There was still some poke through in the examples I tried with the new version, but a smoothing modifier quickly corrected all of those. The main benefit of the latest version is the stability of the drapes, and also you can now use it on figures with geografts, previously this had failed. I am sure there were other improvements, but these were the main ones I spotted.

I tried the 'Good - Vertex Swept' for my Madonna & Child scene and that was much, much worse! crying

So I am trying again with the Better & Best settings. Poke through needs to be eliminated!

Ugh, & DAZ Studio has just now stopped responding running a 'Better' simulation (I upped the Collision Iterations (Per Subframe) from 4 to 10 - maybe that's why.

Havos said:

There was still some poke through in the examples I tried with the new version, but a smoothing modifier quickly corrected all of those. The main benefit of the latest version is the stability of the drapes, and also you can now use it on figures with geografts, previously this had failed. I am sure there were other improvements, but these were the main ones I spotted.

So you mean like the Wet Bodies for iRay by SimonWM can be used and dForce will drape on the Geoshell & not the orginal mesh?

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,349
    Havos said:

So you mean like the Wet Bodies for iRay by SimonWM can be used and dForce will drape on the Geoshell & not the orginal mesh?

I have not tested drapping on a geograft yet, the figure I was using had horns, so was well away from the actual cloth. However with the earlier version of dForce any geograft on the figure meant that the clothing did not collide at all with the whole of the figure, so you had to remove the geografts and then reapply after the drape.

I will test whether they drape against the geografts next.

OK, I am working on my Madonna & Child. I upped the smotthing iterations like you said. I also discovered that when you put clothing on the same figure, at least the clothing I am using, that they were all set to 'point at Genesis 8 Female' but a garment draped over another garment should 'point at the garment it's draped over'. I changed those and it's an improvement.

I am still have trouble getting the Optitex V4 Headcloth to drape like I want though. It explodes in some locations and others I'm not quite satisfied with the drape.

• Havos said:
    Havos said:

I have not tested drapping on a geograft yet, the figure I was using had horns, so was well away from the actual cloth. However with the earlier version of dForce any geograft on the figure meant that the clothing did not collide at all with the whole of the figure, so you had to remove the geografts and then reapply after the drape.

I will test whether they drape against the geografts next.

I'm using the release version and geografts have been working fine.

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

I am having issues with https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-summer-angel-outfit-for-genesis-3-and-8-female-s, when I try to simulate it tells me that there is no object to simulate, even though I have this dress selected in the scene.  Also, the dress loads without the simulation settings in the surface tabs.  Anyone else enounter this issue?

ThatGuy said:

I am having issues with https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-summer-angel-outfit-for-genesis-3-and-8-female-s, when I try to simulate it tells me that there is no object to simulate, even though I have this dress selected in the scene.  Also, the dress loads without the simulation settings in the surface tabs.  Anyone else enounter this issue?

Sounds to me as if it wasn't packaged correctly. If there maybe seperate simulation settings surfaces presets for all of the outfit's pieces? 

I bought the Genesis 8 Male Swimtrunks recently & the PA supplied a simulation settings surfaces preset for that product in the forums but when I downloaded that duf file & applied it to the trunks if did not do anything. I had to apply settings myself manually in the DAZ Studio UI.

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
    ThatGuy said:

Sounds to me as if it wasn't packaged correctly. If there maybe seperate simulation settings surfaces presets for all of the outfit's pieces? 

I bought the Genesis 8 Male Swimtrunks recently & the PA supplied a simulation settings surfaces preset for that product in the forums but when I downloaded that duf file & applied it to the trunks if did not do anything. I had to apply settings myself manually in the DAZ Studio UI.

heh...that should have been obvious to me.  Let me go see if there has been an update to the product.  I don't recall getting notified by DIM.  Thanks!

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

OK, I am working on my Madonna & Child. I upped the smotthing iterations like you said. I also discovered that when you put clothing on the same figure, at least the clothing I am using, that they were all set to 'point at Genesis 8 Female' but a garment draped over another garment should 'point at the garment it's draped over'. I changed those and it's an improvement.

I am still have trouble getting the Optitex V4 Headcloth to drape like I want though. It explodes in some locations and others I'm not quite satisfied with the drape.

This the one that goes with the V4 Biblical Outfit? I'm still running 4.10.0.107 (and G3F), but it behaves okay for me. It seems to need a basic amount of smoothing to prevent the skullcap layer from poking through the veil, and it's one of the few articles of clothing I've tried that seems happier with self-collide on and the dforce simulation being set to current frame only (animated draping is my default preference).

edited December 2017
    Odaa said:

This the one that goes with the V4 Biblical Outfit? I'm still running 4.10.0.107 (and G3F), but it behaves okay for me. It seems to need a basic amount of smoothing to prevent the skullcap layer from poking through the veil, and it's one of the few articles of clothing I've tried that seems happier with self-collide on and the dforce simulation being set to current frame only (animated draping is my default preference).

Yes, it's that v4 head cloth. I didn't fit it to the model (in this scene I hid & then deleted in the Geometry Editor the headcap included with the veil like nuns wear) but floated it over the head & then let the dForce simulate it 'gently falling and draping her head'; in some locations that would cause explosions of head cloth, the G2F Medieval Dress, the hair, and the Greek sash.

I am doing a re-render again after re-posing it a bit & re-simulating cloth drape but one sleeve is an 'anti-gravity' sleeve but the rest of the drape I am satisfied with now.

I am using DS Beta 4.10.0.123.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on